Sign in to follow this  
E30 325i Rag-Top

Cheap & Easy Brake Upgrades For E30

What is out there that can be easily bolted onto an E30 for an upgrade in braking over the standard sliding single pistion set up?

Anything that can be used from other cars, STi, EVO, RX7, etc. and bought second hand, possibly with adaptor brackets?

Prefer if it fitted behind a 15" rim as well.... :unsure:

Not sure about the calipers disks, but some people use a 325iX booster, it has two diaphragms etc and all bolt in. And you can match that to an E32 non-hydraulic master 735i and some 740i

RX7 calipers are pretty common tho, pretty sure garagistic.com have adaptor brakets for sale, along with lots of other E30 adaptor type stuff

Edited by _Ethrty-Andy_

I'll be watching this with interest.

Ive also read alot about the RX7 setup that Andy mentioned - more here

All new brake kits I've priced up (as mad as they'd be) seem a bit over the top for my requirements

Massive does a 300x32mm 'rally' setup for under 15" wheels, uses a 2pc rotor & Wilwood 4pots.

Also does matching rear brakes to keep things balanced.

Plenty of people have done the VW Sirocco 280x22 rotors with S4/5 RX-7 calipers, and fit under 15's.

Needs brackets made of course, and trhe centre bore of the rotor taken out 1mm.

For bolt-on, a Stock E36 5 Lug swap will get you bigger rotors and calipers front & rear (still single pot, but bigger pads up front). E46 328 calipers/rotors are 300mm and fit the E36, may squeeze under some 15's.

You'd need the +96 M3 Control arms, Offset CAB's, front struts and Compact trailing arms.

We run the rx7 version under 15s in Stevies E30 Jon, can help, about $700 including new or reco everything incl race pads

Thanks Foxy, I was going to have a chat with you next time we meet up, I thought you had something reasonable under Stevo's car.. did you get all the stuff local, or in from the USofA?

USofA mate, got the disks adapted locally.

Would the Brembos on my E34 fit behind a 15? I think I am going to have to go much bigger.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I have been looking into a few of them.

Right now I think the RX7 callipers with Corrado disc is looking the best bang for buck option.

The wildwood set up from Massive does look great, but is quite a few $$$s, couldn't find much brake wise on the Garagisitc site (unless I was looking in the wrong place maybe??). Five-lug suspension would be a good way to go as it gives so many more options for wheels / brakes / suspension, etc. but getting hold of all the parts will add up to quite a bit, and then you have brakes, pads, etc on top of that.

So yeah, researching the RX7s at the mo' although I might have to have a look at driftit's Bembo's before a final decision is made.

Gotta get the car "going" before you need to worry about stopping it Jon <_<

True Grant... but that part is under control, I think!

Right now I think the RX7 callipers with Corrado disc is looking the best bang for buck option.

The wildwood set up from Massive does look great, but is quite a few $$$s, couldn't find much brake wise on the Garagisitc site (unless I was looking in the wrong place maybe??). Five-lug suspension would be a good way to go as it gives so many more options for wheels / brakes / suspension, etc. but getting hold of all the parts will add up to quite a bit, and then you have brakes, pads, etc on top of that.

So yeah, researching the RX7s at the mo' although I might have to have a look at driftit's Bembo's before a final decision is made.

hey Jon

what 15" rim? ,

in regards to rx7 calipers, if you are still running 15" weaves you cannot bolt the wheel straight on,

Yeah, I'm running the 15" BBS weaves at the moment. The web-site says I would need a 5mm spacer and a bit of "light grinding" to get clearance. Both of which are easy enough.

Yeah, I'm running the 15" BBS weaves at the moment. The web-site says I would need a 5mm spacer and a bit of "light grinding" to get clearance. Both of which are easy enough.

strange there is a kit dummied up the workshop and not possible with weaves, unless really packed out with an adaptor

rotor fits barrell, and calliper

however caliper doesn't clear spokes and way way more than 5mm adaptor required

I've looked into machinging the caliper, but quickly you'll see that's not an option,

so a rather large adaptor spacer is required

there is another rotor more accessable in nz than corrado, as i haven't seen many corrado's vw in nz

just trying to let you know that it isn't just that simple and you might have to get new rims,

Edited by JKSE

Welcome to come and look at ours anytime Jon.

Had no problem getting disks either.

Welcome to come and look at ours anytime Jon.

Had no problem getting disks either.

Hi David

are you using rx7 4 pot?

Yes I am Jon

interesting must be a different combination of rotor / bracket than here

rather than than just showing one person, maybe a write up to sticky

Have them fitted behind 15 inch rims, but after market ones from Harvey Gray.

Haven't tried the weaves. Got the kit from the states, adaptor, recoed calipers, race pads, ready to bolt up.

Have them fitted behind 15 inch rims, but after market ones from Harvey Gray.

Haven't tried the weaves. Got the kit from the states, adaptor, recoed calipers, race pads, ready to bolt up.

ah right, thought you guy's had 15 weaves fitted on rx calipers combo

must be the same setup then

Edited by JKSE

I wouldn't touch the Wilwoods with a HUGE barge pole. The pistons on mine became pitted and seized after less than a season. I took them back and the idiot behind the counter told me that he had seen AP brakes like that. Not sure why he told me that as I hadn't bought AP brakes and I didn't believe him anyway. I contacted Wilwood direct and they told me they could give me a new set of calipers for a discount. Not sure why they thought I would buy a second set when the first set was useless. If you have a lot of money just burn it as it would be more fun and less hassle than having Wilwood brakes.

strange there is a kit dummied up the workshop and not possible with weaves, unless really packed out with an adaptor

rotor fits barrell, and calliper

however caliper doesn't clear spokes and way way more than 5mm adaptor required

I've looked into machinging the caliper, but quickly you'll see that's not an option,

so a rather large adaptor spacer is required

there is another rotor more accessable in nz than corrado, as i haven't seen many corrado's vw in nz

just trying to let you know that it isn't just that simple and you might have to get new rims,

What offset weaves have you got? The web-site lists a few different types, all in a 15" x 7J size.

Would rather avoid getting a new set of rims if I can help it.

Ps too many Jons in this thread, getting confused!!

What offset weaves have you got? The web-site lists a few different types, all in a 15" x 7J size.

Would rather avoid getting a new set of rims if I can help it.

Ps too many Jons in this thread, getting confused!!

I borrowed a rim 15" weave 24 offset

I pretty much dummied up a strut, and trial fitted a few rims readily available to me at the time

if a writeup is wanted i could do one, but time permitting, will not happen straight away

I'll be able to include measurements so people can judge for themselves what rim will work.

dimentions etc

theres no big secrets , just some dimentions , part numbers for rotors etc may help with either upgrades or deciding if this is a viable option

Edited by JKSE

Has anyone done the RX7 Conversion on an e30 which had a 5 stud conversion? I am going the RX7 Route but would also like 5 stud and need to know what 5 stud conversion to go for

If you've gone to 5 stud the cheap upgrade would be to use 330mm rotors and the calipers to suit from an e46 330.