Sign in to follow this  
DaveO

Wanted: 02-03 BMW M5 (e39) OR 02-06 BMW M3 (e46)

Hey guys

I am in the market for a 2002/2003 BMW M5 (e39) with less than 100,000 kms on the clock.

Also looking for an E46 M3 (facelift only), NZ NEW, less than <100,000 km

Let me know if you know of any for sale privately on david.roberts.nz@gmail.com

Thanks

David

Edited by DaveO

How many E39 M5's are in NZ? Anyone know?

you would be lucky to find one with less than 100k's on it....

bump, I know they are rare, would consider higher km's options I guess but prefer not to.

I have not seen any M5 newer than 2000.2002 is rare .

I've owned both a 2003 (yes very rare only 17 NZnew sold in NZ I believe) and my current 2002.

Took me over a year to locate a decent example each time.....

And that was over 4 years ago. You might want to look to the UK to import.

You might want to look to the UK to import.

I may be wrong but I was under the impression that they could no longer be imported.

:unsure:

you are probably right.

it was about 5 years ago I was looking to import. Wait. there's a massive thread about importing rules somewhere's....

for gods sake's lets not kick off that off again...

abort, abort...

Edited by M5V8

abort, abort...

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously - I laughed out loud! People are looking.

lols....

Any reason for one with under 100k's on the clock? I've seen 1 in akl being a 2002 model in le mans blue. I think the owner is a member on here.

Every now and then, mine has under 100k's on the clock. Damn pixels :wacko:<_<

you are probably right.

it was about 5 years ago I was looking to import. Wait. there's a massive thread about importing rules somewhere's....

abort, abort...

I really want to import a damage M5 to convert into my wagon.

I really want to import a damage M5 to convert into my wagon.

DO IT!

DO IT!

I realize how rare this will be to find. It doesn't HAVE to be under 100,000 kms, however, I do around 25,000kms to 30,000km per year driving for work/personal life.

Ideally I like to keep my cars at least two years, so, ideally under 100,000kms means I can sell it in two years time at around 150,000km.

I've looked at a few E46 M3's from the UK, however my findings is that most were very rusty underneath the car, on the exhaust, all under-car bolts, engine bay bolts rusty etc. Plus MPH speedo annoyed me, as well as other electrical issues.

I'm willing to wait to find the right one. Currently driving a quite nice le mans blue 2003 530i M individual, so it's not the end of the world.

Its a shame that the whole Ks phallacy is so highly regarded as gospel. What really matters is service history and current condition upon inspection.

For example one guy could have a car with 200000km who has meticulously maintained it, serviced every 10000km, with all major item addressed at their due intervals, someone who much like yourself does higher ks during the year. The second guy has the exact same car, he bought it new with 300kms on the clock, now its rolling over 47000 and its still running the same oil it left the factory with.

Now I realise youre going to say "well thats just ridiculous, noone would do that" but I myself have replaced 3 engines on new vehicles, the lowest 8 months old at 31000km due to NO servicing

Its a shame that the whole Ks phallacy is so highly regarded as gospel. What really matters is service history and current condition upon inspection.

For example one guy could have a car with 200000km who has meticulously maintained it, serviced every 10000km, with all major item addressed at their due intervals, someone who much like yourself does higher ks during the year. The second guy has the exact same car, he bought it new with 300kms on the clock, now its rolling over 47000 and its still running the same oil it left the factory with.

Now I realise youre going to say "well thats just ridiculous, noone would do that" but I myself have replaced 3 engines on new vehicles, the lowest 8 months old at 31000km due to NO servicing

I tend to agree with you personally, having owned many cars of various "km's on the clock".

My main concern is the re-sale ability in say 2-3 years time.

It is a shame though.

Very valid point. The biggest shame I suppose is that many of the people who bought these new were those with families (hence the 4 door over the E46 M3)

The cars were then more than likely used as a family commuter to work, beach house, weekends etc. and racked up the Ks.

Stunning cars though, Breakmywindow got a good buy on his one!

I was looking for a similar spec E39 M5 before I bought the M3 i.e facelift, low kms and silver interior trim ( not woodgrain). In think in a year I looked at one car that came close to what I wanted, and even then it was let down by a few things which stopped me purchasing. So I gave up in the end, and got the M3 when a good one came along........ which I have no regrets about :-)

I still keep looking as I'd still like one, but I still havent seen anything years later that would convince me to change.

Good luck.....would be worth the wait when/if something comes up :-) Great cars.

I was looking for a similar spec E39 M5 before I bought the M3 i.e facelift, low kms and silver interior trim ( not woodgrain). In think in a year I looked at one car that came close to what I wanted, and even then it was let down by a few things which stopped me purchasing. So I gave up in the end, and got the M3 when a good one came along........ which I have no regrets about :-)

I still keep looking as I'd still like one, but I still havent seen anything years later that would convince me to change.

Good luck.....would be worth the wait when/if something comes up :-) Great cars.

Sounds like the situation I am in!

Would consider facelift M3 e46 also.

Thanks

I must say there is some real truth to your statement.....mileage is an indicator of Vehicle Distance Travelled... Not the Vehicles life, and how it has been maintained.

I tend to agree with you personally, having owned many cars of various "km's on the clock".

It is a shame though.

Really?

You do realize a mint low KM's M5 will sell for mid to high 30's where a high km example will sell for anything between 20 and 30k.

I would actually think you would be better off with a well maintained high km model, it will depreciate less in the long run as they have already hit near rock bottom.

A car with 100,000km M car is still going to cost you a fortune in upkeep if you are doing high millage every year.

also type of milage. Although harder to prove.

I'd rather a 100k car that spent most of those 100k's on the open road than a 40k car that's clocked up those km in a city.

there's alot more cold starts in the 40k car.