Sign in to follow this  
handgrenade

M8 .. 8 series with 550+hp

Race version here in NZ.

BMW M8 Rep race car

seen it racin' at Hampton...smokin' like an ole tractor tho

10/10 would thrash

Some VIP here in NZ had an M8 badge made for him, something like $200 for the custom badge to go on his CSI.

Some VIP here in NZ had an M8 badge made for him, something like $200 for the custom badge to go on his CSI.

so did the real prototype m8 make it down here? Or did someone build a replica??!?!

so did the real prototype m8 make it down here? Or did someone build a replica??!?!

remember a tread posted here some 4 years ago.

pretty sure this is the replica though, the original never supposedly took off the top secrect bmw base in *censored* :ph34r:

the NZ one is a custom replica, i spoke the the dude at the revival meet earlier in the year. Very nicely built car!!

Just a CSI with go fast bits attached an an excessivly expensive M8 badge.

If you're talking about the replica then yes but the real prototype .. Well its not for sale so we don't know how much money it cost to build or how much it would cost to buy.

It is however very interesting that BMW had the tech to create a car like that all those years ago. It would have well been in supercar territory if the numbers were accurate ..

If you're talking about the replica then yes but the real prototype .. Well its not for sale so we don't know how much money it cost to build or how much it would cost to buy.

It is however very interesting that BMW had the tech to create a car like that all those years ago. It would have well been in supercar territory if the numbers were accurate ..

Would be a heavy beast

sure would be heavy, but given that the bog standard 850CSi can run 0-100kmh in 5.9 seconds and weighing in at near enough 2000kg is still pretty fast for such a heavy car.

The 850CSi still had no B pillar - something which has been known to increase weight due to the need for additional chassis reinforcement. The M8 has a B pillar, stripped of all the heavy 'luxury items', carbon fibre panels, light weight seats etc etc. I think quite a bit of weight could have been saved.

Even beyond that, the 850CSi still used the old SOHC V12 .. although most evidence points towards the fact that the M8 prototype engine is not the same V12 built for the Mclaren F1, it is thought to be the first iteration .. engine code is supposedly S70/1 while the F1 engine is the S70/2 and S70/3. BMW managed to push 630hp out of the F1 engine .. would think that the M8 wouldn't be too far off ..

Rough estimate, if the car dropped maybe 200kg (1800kg), and power was at only 550hp at the engine .. you'd be looking at a car with a mid/high 3 sec 0-100kmh time!

Rough estimate, if the car dropped maybe 200kg (1800kg), and power was at only 550hp at the engine .. you'd be looking at a car with a mid/high 3 sec 0-100kmh time!

Yes but power and straight line speed is only part of it isnt it? Edited by kiwi535
  • Like 1

Maybe with 600mm hoosiers. Still have to put power down. 3 seconds is aerial atom territory.

I saw this replica at the ferrari festival sounded great but did seem to puff abit of blue around the left handers. Very very well made car.

isn't S70 what powers the CSi already?

For reference the mclaren f1 made 627hp at only 1082 kg and managed a best of 3.2 seconds to 100kph. Another 700kg is alot to move

S70b56 in csi.

Smallest production run engine bmw ever made i believe with only 1500 made.

Was 380hp vs m70 at 300hp.

S70/2 made 618 hp for the f1 and the bmw v12 lm and lmr

For reference the mclaren f1 made 627hp at only 1082 kg and managed a best of 3.2 seconds to 100kph. Another 700kg is alot to move

Haha yeah I just used a random site online to work out the numbers which of course aren't too applicable in the real world .. Its more of an ideal world situation with 100% traction and full power down .. Etc

Real world we have traction, power band, driver, and heaps of other variables.

Either way .. With the standard acceleration times of the e31 csi , add almost double the horsepower and pull weight out and I don't think its too out of the realm of possibility to see the imaginary m8 well into the 4s area.

Guy who owns the race car also has a dakkar yellow 850csi, a purpley coloured 840i and a Alpina B8 850csi. God damn

Guy who owns the race car also has a dakkar yellow 850csi, a purpley coloured 840i and a Alpina B8 850csi. God damn

Talk about greedy!! Haha!

he has 8 times 8 series models

alpina b12

ac schnitser model

850ci

840ci

2 850csi road car

and more

the m8 replica started off as a 850csi , was built as a track car in uk ,

he brought it then did it properly