Sign in to follow this  
grurgle

Best E36 angel eyes

Hello bimmersport,

I intend to buy some angel eyes for my '95 325i coupe from ebay, and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with any? Any recommendations would be gratefully accepted.

-grurgle

The troll in me thinks the best E36 angel eyes are the ones that stay in the box.

• Like 6

I am running CCFL on my E46 Coupe. They have now run 25,000kms always on.. slowly fading, so I have just gone ahead and purchased colour changing LED versions.. I will report back and see how much of a muppet it brings with it.

CCFL look simple, and not over powering as you see with many LED versions.

I have attached image of my CCLF ones :)
Quality on Ebay is all generally the same.

post-32854-0-36440500-1420588570.jpg

The troll in me thinks the best E36 angel eyes are the ones that stay in the box.

I concur. E36 is the worst BMW to try and match angel eyes to. The rectangle shape of the headlights makes then look crap. At least with the E46 the lights are contoured along the bottom and match the shape.

I concur. E36 is the worst BMW to try and match angel eyes to. The rectangle shape of the headlights makes then look crap. At least with the E46 the lights are contoured along the bottom and match the shape.

Since the E38 and E39 got them, presumably some E46s came with angel eyes, didn't they?

Mine .. led off eBay but full headlight unit replacements including hid for rhd

post-51379-14206909829041.jpg

post-51379-14206910248204.jpg

nope

Interesting... Well, at least it looks like they should have had angel eyes, unlike the E36!

• Like 1

I just purchased the exact same ones.

For $20 cheaper on Ebay.. Must be sure to check the AU site with our exchange rate going so well against them :D

Interesting... Well, at least it looks like they should have had angel eyes, unlike the E36!

Aw jooles you know you love my ricer angel eyes ;)
  • Like 1

Sorry, I agree. As much as I like angel eyes on BMW's, to me the E36 lamp just doesn't lend itself to them.

Each to their own though :)

Ha! I love your car Ken, but would love it more with standard lights!

I myself am in two minds about them. Occasionally they look semi ok on an E36 with standard headlights, but mostly they just don't suit especially the atrocious crystal clear aftermarket headlights, they look quite fugly. I was humming and harring about them for a while but decided a nice set of 8000k HID's would suffice and I'm happy with my decision. They don't look as blue at night as they do in the following photo

post-22322-0-14864000-1420845676_thumb.j

Edited by JJohnsen88

removing the reflector/lens and installing a shroud into the headlights apparently fixes the problem of glare (like the poster above, you can see the light shining off the glass lens and reflector). I havent seen it myself in person so i cant confirm it. Unmodified lights glare light a bitch and arent legal in the slightest.

I don't know what you mean about glare I don't notice anything, but HID's with ballasts aren't legal anyway but it's a 5min job to take them out and put the halogens back in for wof time

Edited by JJohnsen88

i bet you dont tend to drive towards yourself very often...

I don't know what you mean about glare I don't notice anything, but HID's with ballasts aren't legal anyway but it's a 5min job to take them out and put the halogens back in for wof time

Sorry James, but 'taking them out for WOF time' doesn't mean they're legal. Might as well stop paying your insurance premium as your car isn't insured with the HIDs in. You'll find out the hard way if you have an accident. Especially if it's because you've blinded an oncoming driver at night!

There's too many haters on here it's quite concerning. Why do you have to hate on a fellow BMW drivers car? Just appreciate someone has a good taste in what car to buy instead of what headlight a guy chooses to use. I mean sh*t there's plenty of riced up peanuts and Honda's out there to rip on, like the sack of sh*t beater that just drove past my house, running rough as guts coughing and spluttering with no rear muffler, I think that's well more deserving of a bitch session.

Edited by JJohnsen88

Its nothing to do with "hating" or "purity" or any such rubbish, its all to do with you having illegal headlights which blind the sh*t out of other drivers coming towards (or driving in front of) you in the dark. Its illegal, and its stupid.

I would be "hating" on you no matter what you drove, it just so happens its a BMW on a BMW forum.

I couldnt care less about angel eyes, i think they look sh*t on E36 but its your car and your choice. HID on the other hand... read above.

There's too many haters on here it's quite concerning. Why do you have to hate on a fellow BMW drivers car? Just appreciate someone has a good taste in what car to buy instead of what headlight a guy chooses to use. I mean sh*t there's plenty of riced up peanuts and Honda's out there to rip on, like the sack of sh*t beater that just drove past my house, running rough as guts coughing and spluttering with no rear muffler, I think that's well more deserving of a bitch session.

The PO did ask for opinions, mate. Can't stand the trolling on people's project logs, showroom pics, etc but if someone asks... "What do you think of these?" Or "what are the best... blah blah blahs?" then they're going to get opinions. If you don't want opinions, don't ask a question. I certainly wouldn't bag someone's E36 with angel eyes unless they asked "do you like my angel eyes?".

Driving at night I've never had anyone give me the highbeam flash and we all know that means someone's pissed off with brightness. In my old A32 Cefiro I got it all the time due to the HID's I had in that, even I admit they were f'ing bright and was little to no difference between low and high beam. But these are purely on low beam only the high beams are the 'Intense Blue' Halogen bulbs (or whatever their new equivalent is called) from Narva, I also use the headlight tilt switch to minimise PITA factor. The visible light beam on the road infront of me is barely 10m ahead of me.
Too many times I've had SUV's and the like up my ass on the open road with factory HID's now they are the real blinder, mine are quite tame in comparison.

Edited by JJohnsen88

Installed; was wondering where to find a 12v supply within the cockpit that is on when the car is on... wanted a switch in the centre console so I opted to hijack power from my sub remote cable, however I found it didn't give enough...HELP!

Turns out that's always powered, ended up wiring it to the variable power supply on the headunit, got ~12.5V from there and it turns on and off with the car. Ran it through a switch so I can control it there too.