Sign in to follow this  
francoisv

E36 track car

Those Jamex coilovers?

• Like 1

Got the adjustables in today. Too low for my liking, so will need to play around to get the right hight. Took the car for a quick spin around the block, suspension seems stiff. But will see how it goes later down the track.

Rear shocks have seen better days and there is still around 40mm drop left in the adjusties (for stance)

post-2466-0-43560100-1425703600_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-72469600-1425703610_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-82464100-1425703622_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-19888500-1425703689_thumb.jp

• Like 1

Damn, that thing is in the weeds!

some boring old e36 just became cool with a set of adjusties :D

• Like 2

Yea, only cool thing about it when I bought it was it has a M50B25 and its a coupe. And I've just managed to get some wheels that will go nicely with the color. Just hope the 17"s are okay for track.

Kind of deciding between 15" and 17", but these wheels are light and can go 9.5" in the rear

17s will be okay but race tyres will be more expensive than 15s or 16s I'd imagine.

• Like 1

Yea it's all about weight really, the 17s I'm looking at aren't that heavy. But as you say, tyres will be more expensive but anything with track racing is haha

Picked up some wheels today. Will go well with the color scheme for the car.

post-2466-0-65672500-1425783626_thumb.jp

• Like 2

Glad they are going to good use. :)

• Like 1

17s will be okay but race tyres will be more expensive than 15s or 16s I'd imagine.

Old NZV8 tyres are still pretty common and easily had... if you wanted to run full slicks...

• Like 1

Yea, although id probably wait for tyres now. Seeing that I was planning on doing the roll cage and gearbox first, then the suspension and wheels came up at really good prices. So will definitely get the cage and box done next

Spent the afternoon doing some more stripping and de looming. Aircon and Heater system proving to be a nightmare to take out.

Also ordered some parts for this and the E39s from Pelican. Haha having 3 BMW is costly some times

post-2466-0-94472500-1426230168_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-91145400-1426230240.jpg

• Like 2

Spent all of Saturday doing the ignition switches and push start button, which btw adds 15kw at the wheels :ph34r: which worked quite well actually with 2 On/Off switches, 5pin relay and the engine push start. Took some figuring out, but started up fine.....

...until I went to move the car and then nudda. The gauge lights lit up as though in Acc or Ign1 position, but wouldn't turn over as it did before. So spent a few minutes triple checking connections and still the same problem.

Then it hit me, EWS!!! and that bastard chip in the key. So what I landed up doing is building a diode looking thingy using the spare keys chip.
Had to melt a fuse holder a little to get it to hold the chip nice and tight, then connected it to the Acc On/Off switch using the existing two wires from the key reader and BOOM, started up again. Seems to have done the trick. Tested about 10 times. Will get some pics up of that wiring when I put the dash back together after roll cage.

• Like 2

So ordered the following today,

Momo race wheel, 320mm

Momo boss kit, quick release (since anyone can start the car now, figured this might be a little more secure(

Full manual conversion, waiting confirmation on type of box

Exceedy stage 3 clutch kit

14.4" slotted front rotors - brake hoses, sensors and pads were ordered last week from pelican

Secure kill start power switch, which has its own unique plastic key (connect onto the main power cable from battery)

Almost done with the strip down and deloom. Removed most of the aircon system today. And fully removed the key barrel and ignition switch.

post-2466-0-58733700-1426916157_thumb.jp

Edited by FrancoisPV

So decided to go with the 220 box and stage 3 clutch kit. Hoping to install that this weekend when the break system gets delivered from customs along with all the bits for the ute.

Started fabrication on the dashboard for the strart button and cauges etc

post-2466-0-90718700-1427266690_thumb.jp

post-2466-0-48779900-1427266704_thumb.jp

I Assume you are taking the tar insulation out?

With mine a heat gun (not too hot, not too cold) worked well, then thinners to clean up the balance.

• Like 1

Haha yes that's the plan for Sunday. How long did it take you? save much weight?

Haha yes that's the plan for Sunday. How long did it take you? save much weight?

Hours !!

From memory about 15 kg

projects coming along nicely .

wheels suit the colour of the car...

dam wish i could lose 15kg in a few hours at the gym....haha

• Like 1

Haha me too. Track car is on hold until I get the ute prepped and ready for paint, eta end of this month. Then I can install the clutch kit for the track car and book in for the roll cage. Still need to get a clutch kit tho

New front bumper arrived. Looking the business so far

post-2466-0-78134200-1430711076_thumb.jp