Jump to content
GoldenE46

1999 323ci turbo/sc info wanted

Recommended Posts

Hey looking for any and all info I get on fitting a turbo/sc on my 1999 323ci

I believe my engine will be a m52b25 unsure if it's single vanos or what and unsure of how that will affect things but I think it does give an easy place to rap into for oil feed?

I also believe it' odb1 and I'm unsure if that increases or decreases tuning capabilitys

Biggest issue I see is the amount of room on the turbo side, the manifold is easily achievable as I've seen an ozzy flip the factory extractors to easily clear steering but then I'm wondering if any one has done this then what size downpipe did you fit and how? Also considered running a pipe to the other side but again room is limited. 

Another option I'm curious about is what type/style of superchargers will work easiest? I read about estima turbos working ok.  

Will be doing arp studs and a MLS gasket and injectors and bigger intake etc not rich so hoping to be able to use a rb25det turbo or a estima supercharger or something along those lines.

 

Sorry for the long post guys any help is much appreciated 

20180408_135832.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

estima sc14 superchargers can be fitted quite neatly on the intake side of the engine, theres a local (nz) guy that does a full bolt on kit good for 5-6 pound.  Thats the route im looking at going.  You could probably use an oil distribution block for oil feed,  i bought one from rally road to run pressure and temp gauges.  

I think the rally road oil distribution block is curretly on sale, its a good quality part.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/14/2018 at 6:43 AM, Drea//Mer said:

estima sc14 superchargers can be fitted quite neatly on the intake side of the engine, theres a local (nz) guy that does a full bolt on kit good for 5-6 pound.  Thats the route im looking at going.  You could probably use an oil distribution block for oil feed,  i bought one from rally road to run pressure and temp gauges.  

I think the rally road oil distribution block is curretly on sale, its a good quality part.

The guy that makes those kits was on this forum, before he got banned.

His kits have numerous problems, and I have not heard of even one working properly yet.

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, zero said:

The guy that makes those kits was on this forum, before he got banned.

His kits have numerous problems, and I have not heard of even one working properly yet.

Pretty sure @dirtydoogle got one for a laugh, it needed modding before it would even fit on a bench engine...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My friends down the road have a pretty wikid rotary company called HPR and will easily be able to get it mounted nicely, I did read about the estimas s/c being a good option. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I made my own brackets etc, and  Hyde kit didn't suit me. 

Mine was running a PWR water to air cooler under the intake manifold 

You don't need an oil feed for blower. 

You will need to have a blower bypass valve

It won't make big hp with an sc14, but will be an improvement

 

Turbo can be done, low mount with an oil scavenge pump is the way around the dump pipe issue

Wouldn't bother modifying the 2.5 internally, you could safely run 3-350hp on it with a proper tune 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/15/2018 at 7:25 PM, Young Thrash Driver said:

Pretty sure @dirtydoogle got one for a laugh, it needed modding before it would even fit on a bench engine...

I initially started with brackets based off his but they're not very elegant 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Also bear in mind you want a decent ecu to get the best out of it.

Hyde claims you dont but that is just marketing.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, zero said:

Also bear in mind you want a decent ecu to get the best out of it.

Hyde claims you dont but that is just marketing.

 

His set up is dodgy and dangerous, you can see his 328 running out of injector in one of his videos, real neat...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/17/2018 at 3:45 PM, zero said:

Also bear in mind you want a decent ecu to get the best out of it.

Hyde claims you dont but that is just marketing.

 

Yeah exactly.

I kinda learnt the value of a proper ECU having some fuel tuning done on the Toyota recently, just with a basic AFC unit, so by tweaking the fuel inputs it also alters the ignition timing, bit of a double edge sword in that regard, can only get so much out of it, but it worked well for the cost. If only Toyota ecus could be reflashed like BMW DMEs!   

Edited by Michael.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Michael. said:

 If only Toyota ecus could be reflashed like BMW DMEs!   

Some can ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, HaNs said:

Some can ;)

3uz-fe ones? I deal with a guy in Russia that has some capabilities, but seems rather limited. 

Aren't you doing such on newer diesel Toyotas or other stuff too? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2018 at 10:54 PM, GoldenE46 said:

Hey looking for any and all info I get on fitting a turbo/sc on my 1999 323ci

I believe my engine will be a m52b25 unsure if it's single vanos or what and unsure of how that will affect things but I think it does give an easy place to rap into for oil feed?

I also believe it' odb1 and I'm unsure if that increases or decreases tuning capabilitys

Biggest issue I see is the amount of room on the turbo side, the manifold is easily achievable as I've seen an ozzy flip the factory extractors to easily clear steering but then I'm wondering if any one has done this then what size downpipe did you fit and how? Also considered running a pipe to the other side but again room is limited. 

Another option I'm curious about is what type/style of superchargers will work easiest? I read about estima turbos working ok.  

Will be doing arp studs and a MLS gasket and injectors and bigger intake etc not rich so hoping to be able to use a rb25det turbo or a estima supercharger or something along those lines.

 

Sorry for the long post guys any help is much appreciated 

20180408_135832.jpg

 

Yours is not OBDI. Post 1995 / 328/ M52 on wards, you are II. What you got there is likely an variant of the MS41.X ECU,  have even seen MS4X ECU's that cant be flashed (Aus Import) in NZ, One of the cars in a local Racing Team I sponsor. Look up realoem and put the last 7 digits of your vin, should tell you your ECU IIRC.

http://www.realoem.com/

That and I got well over two dozen tunes and maps here you can have along with a 30+ page installation guide you can try on. But we have had even MS45 (YES) done in the UK. the MS41 is easy enough to do it all yourself, dont pay some bloke to install anything either. Do can do it yourself, But it takes time. And grab yourself an AFR setup off innovatinve while you are at it.

Now Deal is that ECU is very easy to do yourself, you can get 95% close, It wont be as good as Dyno tune at the right peoples but if you look into Rom Raider Project and learn it, then you can tune it yourself.

 

 

Rom Raider: http://www.romraider.com/forum/

Then you can grab some VW K line Cables off ebay and some modifications to it, a decent laptop with Win 7/XP and get to work. I will have some videos up on my channel later how to set those up. Make sure its got the REAL Chip in it, dont buy it locally and watch out if buying from china, We have our sources for everything,

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/9yoAAOSwZQRYduxR/s-l1600.jpg

 

Also my good acquaintance in Finland has a free tool, Test-O that allows you to Log the Data on your BMW as you drive and fine tune it, below is a video on how thats done. Some of it is in German, so if you cant read Deutsch, just request on the topic with the right module that worked for you and we will translate it.

TestO https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php?1830510-Diagnostic-program-with-realtime-graph-view


Now my personal take is, Well what are your goals?

If its just a fun little car then save your money, and dont do ARP and MLS if you are going SC14 Route. Your motor will be fine upto 8PSI. Years ago I have pushed upwards on 12 on an Stock M52 but thats me. Anything more than 8 out of the SC14 and it wont be efficient anymore and not only that your trans if its an auto cant handle it, and your MAF will start to exceed its 3000K Limit, See our setups will get you full boost around 3K RPM usually. So the MAF will max out if you want to push it much. Add an 1750ohm resistor in the signal wire (yellow).. Again a good tune is needed.

That said as far as engine building goes, if you are dead set on it, then I say unlike USA very few of these motors get properly Built here in ol NZ, (Due to either personal know how, finances, time whatever) and if you are going that deep fella you would not want to stick to a SC14, thats a blower suited for pushing an Stock Engine. See an SC14 and 300HP - 350HP is a Toy. Granted the American Endurance Race car that uses my setup saw well over 400HP and got 3rd Place, but thats already starting with a bigger motor (S52B32 US) and a built one, so the blower is just cherry on top. See, On a built engine what you want there is something that can actually push said 'built engine'.  IMHO You want a M122H there. That will stock underdrven mind you put down a bar of boost with an intercooler, and you can actually push an built motor with that as it can easily go over 2 bars or more. It can also be restricted to 9PS if you absolutely want, but why would you want to restrct this beast? Now we currently have an M50TUB30 Stoker Build in NJ at my friend Keith's place, Built, and with that motor and the M122H our goal is midrange, around 500-600. As for Tuning we are using the Ostrich II Emulator, below is a Teaser from last year, first prototype in 2017, we have entered mass production of these this year.

 

Also, for those interested, I made an post here yesterday addressing & correcting some haters, Showcasing our work I think its been moved to make an separate topic named marketing, would it remain there, I do not know. If people who like such projects or can appreciate the work, time etc that goes into these things can look past their differences then I am sure it will remain and even get a proper topic title but as it stands we all know what the deal is and where I am at and if people want to bury the facts and truth then it wont. Either way, regardless of all that, And by all means, look around and see for yourself, and do listen to the newspapers, and actual many in the client base than the few 'haters' who go on.

 

I hope this helps and I hope that other post helps too. I am not much of a forum person, even the bigger international forums, cant make time for, but if you post here and I come across it, i will try to assist you with what I can or least put you in the right direction.

Go well now.

Warm Regards,

 

Edited by The H. Behemoth
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×