Sign in to follow this  
Jazzbass

My shortest actual car ownership

Last Friday I traded in my E39 528 on an E46 330.

On Sunday, as I was heading to New Plymouth, I finally realised that I couldn't stand the drone of the exhaust.

I interrupted my trip and took it back to Jeff Gray Manawatu.

They tried to find me a newer 530 - without luck. There was one in Wellington, but it sold that morning.

Jeff Gray Manawatu and particularly Glynn Theobold and John Curlionis were marvellous and completely understood my problem. Some other car sales firms would have wiped their hands the second I drove out the gate. I can't praise them enough. Next time I buy another BMW - I will ONLY go there. They've treated me right with every BMW I've had (4).

The car?

The 330 went bloody well, but that exhaust note was at first cool, then more and more irritating and finally I just couldn't stand it. My wife and I both ended up with headaches from the constant noise (for those who don't know - a 528 is almost silent on the road and that's what we're used to), We're both agreed - we've outgrown a 3 series - every one we've had has been loud.

I've read many times that once you've graduated to a 5 or a 7 you can never go back to a 3. IME, they're right!

20 hours - the shortest time I've ever owned a car I intended to keep for myself.

why not just change the exhaust?

So, a new Primera wagon is more refined than a late model, standard straight six BMW? Not being a dick, but really

I never said it was, mate.

I offered neither reason nor opinion for my choice.

However, I made my choice for me, no-one else. :)

lame

Thanks for that, mate - it just made my leaving here (since I won't have a BMW and therefore not a lot of say on a BMW forum) a lot easier.

Edited by Rog

I'm always surprised by the 'bass' volume in every e46 I drive.. Must be a real technical issue...

I know what you mean Rog, my old man can't stand a noisy exhaust tone - I reversed the snorkel on the 4x4 we own together so water wouldn't splash in on enthusiastic stream crossings and nextthing i knew he'd put it back complaining about the drone it made facing the passenger compartment (I thought it sounded badass).

If you're not happy with something you need to put it right whether everyone else thinks you're a plonker or not. I would have loved the sound myself but its horses for courses am I right?

Forget the muppets Rog they obvioulsy have way too much time on their hands this afternoon.

So what are you driving now ? Are they looking for another 5 ?

I still think you should find find that 7 from the last thread, that had everything :D

Considering youve had so many cars from JG (and obviously know them quite well now) do you think they would let you have a car for the weekend before making the decision ?

Ive never been a car salesman before but I wouldve thought it would be ok if I knew there was a guaranteed sale at the end and it was only a case of finding the right car.

Wouldn't the road noise from the primera be significantly louder than the bmw, enough to drive (no pun intended) you away from it?

I would think of a primera as a down trade but that is of course my opinion.

LOL!

Do try to keep up, mate!! :)

I ordered a new Primera Wagon this week.

My reasons are manyfold, not the least being I really need the extra space and putting my tatty old band gear on my nice BMW leather seats has always caused me to shiver, as has leaving the Bimmer outside seedy places I've played at.

I've mentioned before that I have a practical need/side to me. The P12 wagon is that side coming to the fore. Its a way to provide the space I need at a low cost, low mileage and low maintenance.

Of course it's no match for a nice shiny late model BMW, but I don't look at it in that light. It just a Jappo car, which I'm sure I'll tire of quickly and another BMW is certainly in my future, but at the mo' it suits my requirements for a car.

I'll let you off- the Primera wagons look better now than when they came out, which gives them a lot in common with the new BMWs! And you can pretend that central instrument binnacle is an I-Drive console!

LOL!

I ordered a new Primera Wagon this week.

My reasons are manyfold, not the least being I really need the extra space and putting my tatty old band gear on

splash out, u should have waited and brought the new m5 wagon lol! :P

p12? ugh

hope it works out!

Is this what it looks like?

Posted Image

cos wow thats ugly, each to their own etc. Nissan make good cars though and it is practical

:( a double glazed 7 series would have done nicely, ahh well.. Edited by E30stz

I'm actually suprised by all this ...! ? ... my 330 is one of the quitiest cars I have owned (unless you floor it and wake up mr angry cam vanos). Rog are you sure that it was a stock exaust and if maybe there was something wrong with it ? ..

Just sounds wierd to me that it was that annouying ?

Rog, I completely understand.

Before buying my E39 I test drove a 328. Absolutely no contest. While the 5er was smooth and made the right noise at the right moment, the 3er was more 'sporty' (made the right noise ALL the time).

That's why an E90 wasn't even in my radar when I was replacing my E39. I looked at E60, E-class and Lexus.

Hey Rog, sorry to hear it wasn't for you, totally understand though, E39 is so quiet and refined. But is there a reason you didn't consider an E39 touring? I would think that would be a great choice, you're used to the E39 and it's practical too.

Thanks for that, mate - it just made my leaving here (since I won't have a BMW and therefore not a lot of say on a BMW forum) a lot easier.

Hey Rog ,given your requirements I would have bought a Jap car as well. Bimmersport is an enthusiasts community [you don't need to own a BMW to be an enthusiast]

I myself have just acquired a Nissan 3 weeks ago [a cheap reliable race-car]

one thing I have learned about opinions, It's cheaper to spend someone elses money [wait till they have to put their money where their mouth is]

I look forward to you staying on as a bimmersport member [your input is appreciated]

Cheers Kerry

Hey Rog ,given your requirements I would have bought a Jap car as well. Bimmersport is an enthusiasts community [you don't need to own a BMW to be an enthusiast]

I myself have just acquired a Nissan 3 weeks ago [a cheap reliable race-car]

one thing I have learned about opinions, It's cheaper to spend someone elses money [wait till they have to put their money where their mouth is]

I look forward to you staying on as a bimmersport member [your input is appreciated]

Cheers Kerry

Too right Kerry! And they dont make BMW utes :P

Edited by westy

Now there's an idea. I'd rather see an M5 Ute racing in the celebrity support races than a 116i (or are they 120i's?) at next years Melbourne F1.

But they do make bloody good tourings !

Rog, I must have missed your comments about buying the primera !

Its obviously too late to go hunting for e39 tourings !!