Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Trademe frustrations!

Am annoyed at the moment as it is the second or third time this has happened to me...

When you end up winning an auction with a low reserve and manage to get it cheaply, sellers try and cover their losses by jacking up postage prices.

A coupe of weeks ago, I bought a radar detector and was charged $15 to send it (no box just the radar and cord) in a A5 prepaid standard post bag which I see selling at my local postshop for about $4. I was fine with it at the time as I was under the impression it would be sent to me overnight in its original box using a track and trace courier. I know $11 isn't much to grumble about, but it does annoy me!

Has anyone else experienced this?

Look at the auction, usually will have a postage price stated, can't really do much other than plan the postage yourself

Look at the auction, usually will have a postage price stated, can't really do much other than plan the postage yourself

They always tend to be "Shipping to be arranged"

Why it annoys me is that jacking up shipping prices is only done when sellers get less than what they think they are getting for their listing, in a way "covering their losses".

This is an age only ebay trick as well ... Always ask what the shipping price is ... you'll find with open questions people will slowly stop doing it as on items with competition (like radar detectors) it will become a buyers market.. or just buy from the states .. with our .75 dollar its sooo cheap :)

If shipping isnt listed then you should ask what it costs.

Its a semi-legit way of getting more for products, if it is clearly stated in the auction.

You could argue that the old ebay trick of $1 buy now + $99 shipping is good for the buyer as the seller pays less in fees, enabling the buyer to get a cheaper price.

I always state shipping, but have been stung a few times when it costs more to send. Hard to estimate sometimes and transport companies don't like you ringing up evey 5mins to get a quote on sending a gearbox or whatever everytime a potential buyer asks - you just have to guess and hope you're right.

Occasionally I have made a few dollars on the postage - roundabouts and swings. As long as its not totally ridiculous, then you could argue the point before you pay. I know what you are saying though and agree.

Brook and I have been selling a bits and pieces lately via trade me, and what we do is post the receipt for postage with what we are sending (after getting a quote after the auction has finished), so that people know that they aren't being ripped off, as somethings are damned expensive to send (a case in point recently were some tiles we sold, cost as much to send as the auction).

People are normally pretty happy with that.

Cheers

Grant

Agreed with Bravo. I always try to be economical with freight costs when sending & several times have been burnt, but also have won on some occasions. Very hard to guage sometimes (particually interisland or bulky item). Unless I can put in a courier bag I dont normally state shipping cost now because of unknown factors (distance, rural delivery etc) - until I am asked. I can then work out the most economical approach once I have details.

I too have had issues when buying - knowing what I can send something for in comparison