Sign in to follow this  
c.robertson00

E30 lsd

Not worth anything if it's a E30 series car, just send it to me and I'll swap you for a 4.1 diff for the seriesPosted Image

Not worth anything if it's a E30 series car, just send it to me and I'll swap you for a 4.1 diff for the seriesPosted Image

Im not sure if it is an lsd but if you turn the input shaft then the output shafts both turn the same way and i have heard this means its an lsd. is this correct?

find a clean stretch of road, rev it up and drop it .. youll soon find out :)

find a clean stretch of road, rev it up and drop it .. youll soon find out :)

Nice idea mate but its a bit harder than that when the diffs sitting on the garage floor lol thanks anyway hahaha

Im not sure if it is an lsd but if you turn the input shaft then the output shafts both turn the same way and i have heard this means its an lsd. is this correct?

not necessarily

try and turn the output shafts in opposite directions. an LSD wont let you do this.

not necessarily

try and turn the output shafts in opposite directions. an LSD wont let you do this.

Not necessarily, I have one here that is low milage, and behaves like a normal diff, ie. shafts turn in opposite directions! You really need to pull the back cover plate off, take a pic and post it up here. I will tell you if it is LSD or not.

Not necessarily, I have one here that is low milage, and behaves like a normal diff, ie. shafts turn in opposite directions! You really need to pull the back cover plate off, take a pic and post it up here. I will tell you if it is LSD or not.

That's weerd? Is it a torsen diff and not clutch pack?

Might be running 0 preload on the clutches, relying only on the ramps to load them up.

huh, learn something everyday.

is that a standard e30 diff? the lsd's (e30's and toyotas) i've had a play with have all behaved how i described.

hey does anyone know where 2 get 1 for a 89 325? im unsure if mine is cos i aint checked yet. but if i dont got 1 how much for 1?

Look for an S on the tag or a large S stencilled on top of the case.

Listen to Mike. All E30 LSD`s I`ve dealt with do as he says.

3:64 LSD`s $800

Ray 0212HELLBM

Thanks for all your help but i compared it with my spare triumph herald diff and they both acted the same so it doesnt look like ive got one <_<

assuming that mine is not an lsd - couldnt see an S on it and not yet had the chance to do a skiddy (waiting for my manual gearbox)

would it be fair to say that all auto's are non-lsd? mine is a 325i auto 4 door.

i have access to a 318i manual 2 door diff if i want it.

also were the lsd's an option, or were they just standard on some models/years i.e. all 6cyl 2doors, etc?

also why wont the bleeding forums show all the posts and i have to click on each one?

Might be running 0 preload on the clutches, relying only on the ramps to load them up.

Yep thats right. It is a clutch pack diff with no preload, came out of a 1998 2.8 Z3(wink wink!), its a medium case same as the bigger engined E30's. Behaved like an single spinner when you lit the bags up, so not a lot of use in that state really?

diff in my 85 320i is a 3.6 to one i think. cant fully remember. it acts like a normal diff in terms of turning the shafts different ways and stuff but i have never seen it spin one wheel. even round a corner when i dab the clutch slightly it still spins 2. lsd or not?

Hey Man,

check that alloy tag on the diff....

there will be the ratio

ie; 3:64 S

3.64 to one ratio "S" suffix represents LSD.

try also jacking up the car, spin one wheel. the other wheel should turn in the same direction.

Also jack one rear wheel up, leave the car in gear and try to spin the wheel by hand, (do this with the other wheel on the ground) what happens?....

Thanks for all your help but i compared it with my spare triumph herald diff and they both acted the same so it doesnt look like ive got one <_<

But wait, your Triumph Herald may have an LSD. I always used to be able to get my Mum's one sideways 25 years ago. ;)

Look for an S on the tag or a large S stencilled on top of the case.

Listen to Mike. All E30 LSD`s I`ve dealt with do as he says.

3:64 LSD`s $800

Ray 0212HELLBM

Hi, excuse the lame questions - I am a Beemer newbie...

Is that a guestimated price for a second hand unit or an off the shelf price?

The only one I've seen for sale belongS to Drifty 340 (I think that's his name) with the Lexus transplant and he wants $1500 for his?

Are they clutch or torsion?

I have a E30 320 (originally) with all 325i running gear in it (engine, 'box, front struts, rear brakes etc) but apparently is still has the 320i diff. I have traction issues trying to get up some pace going over the Rimutaka Hill :rolleyes:

Does anyone know where to find specs for these, is there a BMW Guru willing to spare some time for some info??

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

post-2188-1186611435_thumb.jpg

Lol im not after $1500 for mine, i just put it that high so no one would buy it.

I only have it on there so i can find someone who has the correct ratio and wants to swap it with my 3.73

Lol im not after $1500 for mine, i just put it that high so no one would buy it.

I only have it on there so i can find someone who has the correct ratio and wants to swap it with my 3.73

Haha, sorry mate I only glanced at your ad - it makes sense now :rolleyes:

I have been considering an engine swap (apologies to all BMW purists out there) since I started looking at BM's a while back.

I've only had mine less than a couple of weeks :D

I've been recently offered a 1uzfe + W57 + link and most other pieces needed to make it go - was wondering what caused headaches with your conversion?

What did you do about the lack of brake booster space etc?

I'm tossing up between that horny V8 idea, or a straight six turbo Nissan/Toymota.

SR20det would be great but I'm no sheep and that's been done to death

cheers for any help.

Haha, sorry mate I only glanced at your ad - it makes sense now :rolleyes:

I have been considering an engine swap (apologies to all BMW purists out there) since I started looking at BM's a while back.

I've only had mine less than a couple of weeks :D

I've been recently offered a 1uzfe + W57 + link and most other pieces needed to make it go - was wondering what caused headaches with your conversion?

What did you do about the lack of brake booster space etc?

I'm tossing up between that horny V8 idea, or a straight six turbo Nissan/Toymota.

SR20det would be great but I'm no sheep and that's been done to death

cheers for any help.

No probs fella, Its honestly not that hard to do the 1uz conversion.

You need a front sump for a start

Using a mk2 vw golf booster (almost fully bolts up) moved over about 6cm or so to the right (half behind the strut tower)

Go the 8 mate, its not cheap but should be more reliable use less gas and they weight less than all straight 6 toyos and nissan rbs.

Ill warn ya now its not cheap if you want to do it right

Edited by Drifty 340i V8

Just for my info, what (to the nearest couple of grand) is not cheap?

Edited by bravo