Sign in to follow this  
hot 520i

i need power

hey guys im getting tired of my 2.0l. its to small for a the e34 so im thinking about buying a new car but i dont want to sell my 5 so i was think instead of buying a new car should i buy a bigger motor or should i go to jap running gear? if go jap what jap motor would be easyer to put in?

TBH it's much chaper to sell it and buy a 535 or even a 540.

Think about it - a jap swap will run you 8k plus, and at least half that for another bmw motor swap depending on what one you go for. A 535 or 540 will probably not cost 8k more than your current car unless its a total POS which I'm pretty sure its not seeing as you don't really want to part with it.

If you are set on a jap or other swap, then that's cool, but in a 5er I'd want something with some torque/displacement like 3.0L plus.

Also, if you are going to spend say 8k on a jap swap, then the extra say $500-1000 to go for a more powerful motor like a decent v8 or large displacement s/c or turbo is not a big percentage. I guess what I'm saying is don't spend that kind of dosh for only a shade more power than a stock 535 or 540.

/i got a 3.5 out of my e28.ran great,good power and have receits for head work not too long ago.

also have e34 3.5 ecu

if i wer you i would leave your standard motor in it and try and turbo it or something. turbo + intake+ lumpy cam= a sh*t load of power. not sure how much it would cost you though. also try dropping the diff ratio. cheap and u notice the acceleration

look on trademe there are three or four manual 535s now.You could swap some of your gear over onto the newer car...

Edited by kiwi535

if i wer you i would leave your standard motor in it and try and turbo it or something. turbo + intake+ lumpy cam= a sh*t load of power. not sure how much it would cost you though. also try dropping the diff ratio. cheap and u notice the acceleration

Turbo the b20 motor? Not worth it - secondly it is hardly a matter of doing what you just said.

350 Chev ftw

Seriously!

unless you want more than 155kw at the flywheel its not worth it.You can get a 535 (and a nice one too) for 4- 6 k maybe even less!

$1200 engine and a ecu to match.cheaper then all other options mentioned so far

WTF i dont understand, an m3 with that engine would be way cooler

surely the Evo's motor is better than an S14?

surely the Evo's motor is better than an S14?

RWD for the win tho

you can fit a stroker kit into your engine , is it a m20 or m50 engine, any way you can fit a crank from a e28 525e or e36 328i etc ..

but better to sell and buy cheap 535i or 540 just like every one else says , swap interiors over if needed .

good luck ...

how about marty's top cat 5L V12 engine kit , bolts straight into e34 chasis .....