Sign in to follow this  
Andrew

Racecar - The Go Faster Project.

Didn't miss a spot - that firewall bit where the stock rubber sh*t goes isn't meant to be painted. I'm going to put this aluminium head cladding stuff on (if I can find any)

Spray cans own.

Been away from the computer/bimmersport for a few weeks to get a bit of a break.

Have been working on the racecar. Some bad news unfortunately. After Gavin from High Velocity had fully assembled my motor he realised the piston/valve clearance is not correct. Ultimately the valves to do not line up with the cut outs in the pistons. This is due to the cam and a few other factors.

Plan is now to go back to Ireland engineering and get 11:1 CR pistons and machine them ourselfs as needed. Plus side is we will have even more power (think 8000rpm if we can find the rocker gear to do it). Doesn't look like I am going to make Pukekohe/Taupo at the end of Jan and beginning of Feb.

Lots else done on the car though. Nice tidy wiring loom all redone.

Grafted a willwood master cylinder on to the stock booster and lots of other little tweaks (yes i had to make the brake lines myself, yes I will be redoing them as it was my first time with a flaring tool and the bending tool was vise grips).

Custom firewall made out of this heatmat shizzle. Works quite well. Wheel studs finally also.

post-1521-1199482392_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482458_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482612_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482916_thumb.jpg

Some piston/valve clearance pics

post-1521-1199482704_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482739_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482782_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482547_thumb.jpg

post-1521-1199482876_thumb.jpg

Hey Andrew, sorry to hear you have had trouble, it's getting there though.

Shame about the recent trouble, but you just inspired me to finish my E30. Always good to see examples like this.

Shame about the recent trouble, but you just inspired me to finish my E30. Always good to see examples like this.

Kinda makes me wish i didn't rip apart a perfectly good racecar hah.

Nice "Hot Rod" styled MC.

Whats was the reasoning for going to that type of MC?? Size??

Bugger about the pistons & resulting delay.

Nice "Hot Rod" styled MC.

Whats was the reasoning for going to that type of MC?? Size??

Bugger about the pistons & resulting delay.

Yeah - hotrod ftw :) - with the stock mc (19mm) the pedal would always go to the floor with no feel and super softness with those front brakes. So i've gone for that with a rear brake bias adjuster and got me a pressure gauge for the calipers so I can set it up somewhat scientifically.

This MC is 1inch - so 25mm-ish I guess.

Yeah - hotrod ftw :) - with the stock mc (19mm) the pedal would always go to the floor with no feel and super softness with those front brakes. So i've gone for that with a rear brake bias adjuster and got me a pressure gauge for the calipers so I can set it up somewhat scientifically.

This MC is 1inch - so 25mm-ish I guess.

Cheaper than a E32 25.4mm one??

Did it "bolt on" or some fabbing/mods needed??

Push-rod length work OK??

Just being nosey :)

I've put a inline prop. valve in mine also, locking up the rears at 200+ isn't much fun.

Keep the updates coming.

Cheaper than a E32 25.4mm one??

Did it "bolt on" or some fabbing/mods needed??

Push-rod length work OK??

Just being nosey :)

I've put a inline prop. valve in mine also, locking up the rears at 200+ isn't much fun.

Keep the updates coming.

I actually can't remember what it cost - around 250 I think which didn't seem too steep to me for a new MC.

The part that was made was that circle spacer that you can see. It came with a pushrod extender (which I only found in the packaging later - so I had one made). Is about 5 cm long. Had Mark Herbert make the parts for me - didn't take him very long.

Don't know how it will all work when it is under vacuum yet so fingers crossed.

Something you may know Glenn - in the rear brake line it comes off the MC to the body of the car left hand side into a little.. thing (cylinder) that goes to the rest of the rear hard brake line. Is this just a thing to keep pressure in the lines or is it some sort of factory proportioning valve? Where did you plumb in your valve?

I actually can't remember what it cost - around 250 I think which didn't seem too steep to me for a new MC.

The part that was made was that circle spacer that you can see. It came with a pushrod extender (which I only found in the packaging later - so I had one made). Is about 5 cm long. Had Mark Herbert make the parts for me - didn't take him very long.

Don't know how it will all work when it is under vacuum yet so fingers crossed.

Something you may know Glenn - in the rear brake line it comes off the MC to the body of the car left hand side into a little.. thing (cylinder) that goes to the rest of the rear hard brake line. Is this just a thing to keep pressure in the lines or is it some sort of factory proportioning valve? Where did you plumb in your valve?

Doesn't sound too difficult, bit more fab work than bolting on the E32 item, but hey you got hot rod bling :)

In the ETK it says it is a "Brake Pressure Regulator" I read that as being a proportioning valve.

I left mine in as I had too much rear with it and didn't want to potentially reduce the effectiveness of the adjustable one by removing it.

I made new rear brake lines through the cabin, comes in through a little bung above the chassis rail (near that valve thing) then along the tranny tunnel (with the prop. valve next to the hand brake) to the middle of the back seat where it Tees to each side.

I can get some pics next time I'm in the garage if you like??

I can get some pics next time I'm in the garage if you like??

That would be great. Do double flares work just as well as bubble flares that BMW use? I don't have a tool to make bubble flares.

Always wondered what the little thing was there - will leave mine in also.

Update: Spoke to Ireland Engineering this morning - they say they have never had a problem with the 3.1 ltr kit.

What with the ducting going into the cabin?

Front demister - roll cage goes through all the stock vents

UPDATE: I'm still entered in the races and it is looking more likely I will be there.

After a long discussion with Ireland Engineering we have decided to modify the pistons and go racing. It is probably a band-aid to fix a huge gaping wound but it will have to do.

It appears the block machinist has taken way too much off the block as we have ended up with a CR of 10.25:1 instead of 9.75:1 and the head is still well within spec. Current exhaust/intake valve clearance is .050" thou - when the desired number is .070" +

At this point I have ordered custom made h-beam conrods as a safety precaution and hopefully we won't need to change the bottom end again after all of this. The rods are significantly lighter than stock also - so some more power gained there.

Again I would like to thank Gavin @ Hi Velocity through all of this. He has been busting his ass on sundays and holidays working on my car. He is one of our major forum sponsors (soon will have banners/etc) so give him your support whenever you need tuning/performance work.

Now the open class guys can start worrying about my home made brakes! (I'm getting the lines re-done hah)

Guest Simon*

UPDATE: I'm still entered in the races and it is looking more likely I will be there.

After a long discussion with Ireland Engineering we have decided to modify the pistons and go racing. It is probably a band-aid to fix a huge gaping wound but it will have to do.

It appears the block machinist has taken way too much off the block as we have ended up with a CR of 10.25:1 instead of 9.75:1 and the head is still well within spec. Current exhaust/intake valve clearance is .050" thou - when the desired number is .070" +

At this point I have ordered custom made h-beam conrods as a safety precaution and hopefully we won't need to change the bottom end again after all of this. The rods are significantly lighter than stock also - so some more power gained there.

Again I would like to thank Gavin @ Hi Velocity through all of this. He has been busting his ass on sundays and holidays working on my car. He is one of our major forum sponsors (soon will have banners/etc) so give him your support whenever you need tuning/performance work.

Now the open class guys can start worrying about my home made brakes! (I'm getting the lines re-done hah)

Nice! Well it's a result :)

Will be looking forward to coming along and seeing you on the racetrack Andy

Nice! Well it's a result :)

Will be looking forward to coming along and seeing you on the racetrack Andy

I haven't raced in like 10 months now. I'm going to be gumby and slow and it looks like the first time I use the car will be in a qualifying session (yay :( )

Schumacher hasn't raced in a year and is still faster than everyone else.

So that's not a good excuse Andrew. You'll need to come up with a new one.

Maybe "I forgot to turn off my GPS speed-limiter" will work.

Edited by Cain

Schumacher hasn't raced in a year and is still faster than everyone else.

So that's not a good excuse Andrew. You'll need to come up with a new one.

Maybe "I forgot to turn off my GPS speed-limiter" will work.

Or.."I was never faster than everyone else" would work hah

Valid point Andrew.

I wouldn't know. I believed you were the fastest, or maybe that was I imagined it.

Good luck. Car is looking good.

Righto 12m of Bundy tube and a bender - let the fun begin!

only if there are vice grips and a hacksaw involved. possibly a hammer and a pipe wrench too

Yay, first time back for 10 months, and straight into a full 40 car field :rolleyes: . So much funPosted Image, so little time to do it. :(

only if there are vice grips and a hacksaw involved. possibly a hammer and a pipe wrench too

Baby hacksaw to cut brake lines...?

Yay, first time back for 10 months, and straight into a full 40 car field :rolleyes: . So much funPosted Image, so little time to do it. :(

I'll be fine hah - off the pace but fine.