Sign in to follow this  
Tomo

The de-badge poll

De-badge Poll  

68 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Heres the car; do i keep it as it is with the "318i" on the back or debadge it?

Posted Image

I think E30's with no spoiler suit the de-badged look the best, in saying that i debadged my old 318 which had a spoiler and it looked good.

I reckon leave it on. Firstly, for the reasons listed below and secondly because this is an old car there may be residual marks after you take the badge off as the paint under the badge wouldn't have been exposed to sun.

It never ceases to amaze me that in NZ, people seem to only debadge low spec cars. Out of curiosity whenever I see something debadged I look at the reg sticker to see what it actually is, usually something like a 316i, 520i, E200 etc. In many other parts of the world, people debadge high spec cars, such as an M5, SL65 etc, to give them more of a stealth look and be less ostentatious. However, debadging is one thing but "up-badging" (i.e. putting a 540i badge on a 520i) should be a prisonable offence!

I did this on Thursday just gone, I like it De-badged and with the badge. I also got rid of the spoiler aswell.

Here are the before and after pictures

Posted ImagePosted Image

I was just lazy and got a whole new bootlid in the same colour as my car, I pulled the badge off my old bootlid that I'm thinking of putting on. I only replaced the bootlid because it had heavy oxidisation and crazy crack through the paint work.

The bootlid I picked up from Ray was mint yet it had some of the markings left from a badge that was on it and some uber sexy bullet hole decals which I got rid of both with meths and elbow grease

I was just lazy and got a whole new bootlid in the same colour as my car, I pulled the badge off my old bootlid that I'm thinking of putting on. I only replaced the bootlid because it had heavy oxidisation and crazy crack through the paint work.

The bootlid I picked up from Ray was mint yet it had some of the markings left from a badge that was on it and some uber sexy bullet hole decals which I got rid of both with meths and elbow grease

Yeah I was gonna say, spoiler would leave a killer mark after being removed!

Yeah I was gonna say, spoiler would leave a killer mark after being removed!

That and a series of holes in a line right across the bootlid which doesnt come out with meths haha Edited by RJS

Heres the car; do i keep it as it is with the "318i" on the back or debadge it?

Posted Image

I say leave it on - if I see a BMW without a badge I assume it's a 316 / 318 / 320 / 520 etc - and if they are that embaraaseed why buy the car? As people have noted in NZ people only seem to debadge their low spec cars.

On the other hand if it's for cosmetic reasons and you prefer that look - go for it - it's your car.

I agree, it's a nice looking car. Leave it as it is. I also assume that anyone who has de-badged their car has a gutless one and is embarrassed.

Don't be, it's a good car. I'd prefer a mint 318 to a rough as guts 325.

I get heaps of people ask me if I've got a 520. Doesn't worry me.

post-326-1189415115_thumb.jpg

Did it leave any marks?

I've removed the model badge on 3 E30s now, have tried all spirits there are, several different cleaning agents, on black cars, they will probably never totally be removed, but I've found on lighter coloured cars that citrus cleaner is by far the best tool with elbow grease.

I agree, it's a nice looking car. Leave it as it is. I also assume that anyone who has de-badged their car has a gutless one and is embarrassed.

Don't be, it's a good car. I'd prefer a mint 318 to a rough as guts 325.

I get heaps of people ask me if I've got a 520. Doesn't worry me.

I debadged the 540, it looks a lot more balanced with it off. I know it's a 540 and that's what counts, it also stops the cops paying too much attention.

Leave it for the reasons stated. My 325i badge fell off in the garage and I didn't bother to put it back on, and am happy with the result. Also, my g/f's 320 came with no badge and we replaced the badge with a bimmersport sticker. Otherwise, leave it.

Ryan -damn bro, now that's a much shinier boot than when I sold you the car - glad to see her getting the love she desrves. High spec car, mechanically sound, just needs cosmetic TLC. Good stuff.

Debadging is a gay sport for gays only.

Well most of this is constructive debate haha i must say i like the clean style of ryan's new bootlid and thats why i was leaning towards it but i suppose the badge will stay, as with the comment of so many of you; check the rego tag and its a 31- 6/8/ 320. I guess this way it'll throw off the cops and surprise onlookers :D

Edited by Tomo

Yeah you can de-badge its not like you cant just put the badge back on if you change your mind, mines off and I'll proberbly put it back on soon if I think it needs to be on there.

I debadged mine,I like how it looks...more symmetrical (sp)

my car came with only a //M badge so that came off straight away.Often thought about putting 535i back on but i like the clean look

De-badged does look like the deal at times...but you gotta know...you still drive a 318i....I was going to do mine too...but gives a sh*t...doesnt matter what BMW it is...its still a legedary BMW...I like to think that my BimmerSport sticker compensates the 318i badge :D

How about down-badging a car?

e.g. badge a 320i car with a 316i badge.