Sign in to follow this  
my_e36

Heel-Toe Down shifting

Do you Heel-Toe when down shifting?  

67 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

as topic, maybe share your experience and tips on this one?

I just can't seem to make a smooth down change when I do heel toe. Any hints?

As a bit of fun sometimes, can't do it very well though :P

practise. its not easy i usualy find in the whole healtoe motion i end up coming off the brake a bit or pushing it on too hard

Heel toe or right foot big toe - little toe combo works good in some cars with close

pedals. I always found big toe little toe worked mint in my E30 because of the

silly accelerator pedal design.

Have always done it when appropriate and possible (some cars pedals just don't let me in). Around town I find it's unnecessary as I'm not racing around but ouy on a quiet back road when I have the road to myself or on a track then certainly.

having just bought a Bimmer I have to learn a new technique as the pedal layout is quite different to my GT-R.

i always do it. even when just going to the shops. i have gotten so used to doing it that its just second nature that as clutch goes in and come out to slide heel over a blip gas. i also do the similiar thing when on my bike.

i have become quite proficient at it, to the point where i now never use any engine braking at all, only pedal braking, and the blips i use dont sound any more aggressive than the engine braking noises my mums car makes. (hardly noticeable)

i find the to have an almost perfect layout for it, maybe the brake pedal could be a bit lower for higher speed use

Learnt to drive in a series one Land Rover, if you didn't do it, you broke your wrist.

I even try to do it in my automatic! :lol:

That was "doubling the clutch" Jock, wrong pedal!

But you still had to blip the throttle mid down change while braking to speed the next lower cog up to match the output shaft speed or it bit your hand off. So still had to heel toe. A bit like the R8 does when downshifting, but it does it all for you these days. Edited by StylesM5

automatic's are good to learn to leftfoot brake.

I try and do it most of the time. but my leaky slave and my short shift kit, prevent it sometimes.

I pref jap cars to heel toe than my bimmer. As the gas pedal is connected to the floor, i find it harder to prevent teeth cleaning.

Watching best motoing vid's they are heel on the gas and toe on the brake, which i find easier than the other way around.

Watching best motoing vid's they are heel on the gas and toe on the brake, which i find easier than the other way around.

That's the way I do it. You need more feel on the brake and you get that with your toes more than your heel.

Stupid bimmer pedals pivot at the floor = hate by me, must be my size 13's getting in the way.

I would love having a floating gas pedal (like brake and clutch) in the e30.

big toe little toe in E30's , it's a habit now.

Stupid bimmer pedals pivot at the floor = hate by me, must be my size 13's getting in the way.

I would love having a floating gas pedal (like brake and clutch) in the e30.

You can modify the gas pedal to be like this. Remove the gaspedal entirely and then just fix a new pedal to the armiture rather than hinged. I've never done it but seen it done.

You can modify the gas pedal to be like this. Remove the gaspedal entirely and then just fix a new pedal to the armiture rather than hinged. I've never done it but seen it done.

Like mine :P

What is this "heel toe" technique?

It is basically braking at the same time as blipping the throttle to rev-match the engine to the gears/wheels.

It allows for smooth down shifts.

In the olden days with cars with no syncros - you used to need to double-declutch (people confuse this with heel-toe)

Guest Ken

In the olden days with cars with no syncros - you used to need to double-declutch (people confuse this with heel-toe)

And that was for up-shifts as well as down! Also, to really add confusion to the mix, many of the pre 1940s cars had the accelerator as the middle pedal. :wacko: Edited by Ken

It is basically braking at the same time as blipping the throttle to rev-match the engine to the gears/wheels.

It allows for smooth down shifts.

So it's the same thing if you're downchangiong on a non-synchro box while braking (90% of the time). Nothing confusing about it at all. I'll beat you about the head with a large blunt object about this over a beer on Thursday!

What's with all these really old poll threads being re-opened again? Weird!!! <_<

verging on "closed in error"

you get a real idea of how rev matching works when you change gear without the clutch.......next time you are all by yourself coming up to a roundabout or something here is what to do...

let power of so you are coasting and take car out of gear,let engine fall to idle speed,put a little bit of pressure on the gear lever to engage the lower gear you want,and bring up the engine revs(slowly!!),at the magic number the new gear will engage without a sound or even a lurch...

yeah its fun when your going fast etc, i roll my foot rather than the big little toe thing.

What's with all these really old poll threads being re-opened again? Weird!!! <_<

its like the pyjama thread