Sign in to follow this  
zoom-motorsports

bmw for drifting

e30 vs ae86 have similar wheelbases, with 180hp you can drift an e30 easily especially at tracks like taupo. ae86 have like 80hp and still manage to slide. its driver skill at the end of the day. why go big budget when u can keep it nice and simple and still be competitive.

hmmmm not to rain on the ae86 and the e30, they are great cars for going sideways. One big problem they have is they can't go fast enough to keep up with the more powerful vehicles to remain compeditive. Its almost painful to watch the remaining compeditive ae86's drift in the series as they just dont have the power to sustain a high speed slide. You need something with lower end torque and muscle to get the wheels spinning and keep em spinning even when the track straighens out. A turboed v8 would be awesome option to achieve this.

i will be getting a link at some point in the future. so what kind of power do you think ill be putting down on the road?

hmmmm not to rain on the ae86 and the e30, they are great cars for going sideways. One big problem they have is they can't go fast enough to keep up with the more powerful vehicles to remain compeditive. Its almost painful to watch the remaining compeditive ae86's drift in the series as they just dont have the power to sustain a high speed slide. You need something with lower end torque and muscle to get the wheels spinning and keep em spinning even when the track straighens out. A turboed v8 would be awesome option to achieve this.

Big part of AE86's being able to drift is live rear axle - lock it an mount it solid to the chassis and you could drift with 40bhp

i will be getting a link at some point in the future. so what kind of power do you think ill be putting down on the road?

110 kW - 115 kW tops.

Big part of AE86's being able to drift is live rear axle - lock it an mount it solid to the chassis and you could drift with 40bhp

this is true, but what im saying is you can't keep up with a more powerful cars to stay compeditive. low powered cars have great difficulty drifting on straights at speed, in 3rd gear they just dont have the lower end torque to spin the wheels. Which is where a lot of people loose points because of lack of smoke and the ability to link a drift to the next corner. Manfield is a killer for this.

hey my m20 2.5 is around 170bhp standard right???

what sort of mods could i do to get it some more power

e.g add bigger throttle body from another bmw motor?? different injectors from another bmw motor, ecu etc etc.

also u say getting parts off e bay what e bay do u mean country???

hey my m20 2.5 is around 170bhp standard right???

what sort of mods could i do to get it some more power

e.g add bigger throttle body from another bmw motor?? different injectors from another bmw motor, ecu etc etc.

also u say getting parts off e bay what e bay do u mean country???

These are my plans for my 325i

First thing to do, if its auto, is to put a manual in. ( nearly finished )

Then chip it ( easier done if you have a Motronic 1.3 ECU, i had motronic 1.0 and had to rewire the entire engine basically with the new facelift loom )

Get AFM off m30 engine, bore out throttle body,

get a cam made?

bigger injectors?

Pod filter, but get a heat shield or it will do nothing but suck hot air into the engine.

I have used an M30 afm and a rising rate Fuel Pressure Regulator on a M20b25 engine with little or no real gain. Good idea but the afm needs to be reset correctly for best results and this is hard to do DIY.

My 2cents would be to use a Apexi SAFC II with e36 hotwire afm. Variable TPS, wideband O2 sensor

then cam, bigger injectors, extractors.

Well it will only flow as much as the smallest part allows, once you replace with the m30 afm, the throttle body is the next thing restricting flow. Maybe thats why you didnt see much increase. You can put the m30 afm on, and put the electronics from your original afm so you retain the original adjustments.

keh, bye.

afm needs to be reset correctly for best results and this is hard to do DIY.

My 2cents would be to use a Apexi SAFC II with e36 hotwire afm. Variable TPS, wideband O2 sensor

then cam, bigger injectors, extractors.

What is the Apexi SAFC II? I know that the Apexi Power FC is no longer produced. I take it the SAFC is their replacement?