Sign in to follow this  
chris-mazon

Is there any point in doin' a manual conversion??

Hey guys.

New to the whole bimmer thing and just want to know how much it would cost me or if der is any point in me doin ay manual conversion on my 1989 E30 320i

Prices etc please.

I just find driving ay manual so much more fun and i think i am speeking for most out der.

Thanks

Chris

Should be about $600 for all the main parts you need, gearbox crossmember driveshaft flywheel release fork clutch pedal and brake pedal ect and then i chose to use new clutch kit $300, new slave Cylinder $35 and new master Cylinder $70 and i had to have all the clutch lines made to length and bent up which was $60.

but it was well worth it even tho it does not really feel that much faster, Put in a 2.5 motor at the same time. i wish i did.

Manuals will sell for more, as who wants an auto? Try and find a purchaser for the auto before you rip it out, save some dosh.

The more you can do yourself, then cheaper it will be. Ray at HELLBM has complete conversion kits, maybe even a bigger motor if you are that way inclined.

Chap above mentions all the parts, plenty of write-ups on it, and people on here have done it.

Should be about $600 for all the main parts you need, gearbox crossmember driveshaft flywheel release fork clutch pedal and brake pedal ect and then i chose to use new clutch kit $300, new slave Cylinder $35 and new master Cylinder $70 and i had to have all the clutch lines made to length and bent up which was $60.

but it was well worth it even tho it does not really feel that much faster, Put in a 2.5 motor at the same time. i wish i did.

Okk and i can find all this stuff and do all this stuff were??

Any change on me getting my hands on a conversion kit or somthing with all the parts i need?

Manuals will sell for more, as who wants an auto? Try and find a purchaser for the auto before you rip it out, save some dosh.

The more you can do yourself, then cheaper it will be. Ray at HELLBM has complete conversion kits, maybe even a bigger motor if you are that way inclined.

Chap above mentions all the parts, plenty of write-ups on it, and people on here have done it.

Ok thanks mate.

Will look it up

Ok thanks mate.

Will look it up

Ray, forum sponsor; 021 2 HELL BM

Definitely worth it mate and as Jimmy said put a 2.5 in. Prices will also depend on what you can accomplish yourself... just finished my manual conversion the other day was'nt that difficult really, finding parts however was a different story.

Luke

Definitely worth it mate and as Jimmy said put a 2.5 in. Prices will also depend on what you can accomplish yourself... just finished my manual conversion the other day was'nt that difficult really, finding parts however was a different story.

Luke

Ok how long did it take u when u finally started rippin ya car apart?? yea i can get ma hands on a 325i Engine and 325i manual gearbox for bout 1.3 from a guy above. but i dnt rly have the money to put a 325 in ay.

Thanks

Ok how long did it take u when u finally started rippin ya car apart?? yea i can get ma hands on a 325i Engine and 325i manual gearbox for bout 1.3 from a guy above. but i dnt rly have the money to put a 325 in ay.

Thanks

save up for engine and trans , do it at the same time .

make sure you get the whole kit , from a smashed car or like .

Hey guys.

New to the whole bimmer thing and just want to know how much it would cost me or if der is any point in me doin ay manual conversion on my 1989 E30 320i

Prices etc please.

I just find driving ay manual so much more fun and i think i am speeking for most out der.

Thanks

Chris

Manuals and the English language are the win

What the f**k is your problem??

does that have anything to do with what i asked??

A lot of people here (including myself) can be quite anal with spelling and grammar.

If you want people to put the time and effort into responding to your questions, common courtesy would be to spell and write properly.

It actuallu does, she claims that manuals are the win, which would indicate that it would be worth the conversion.

Im just baiting you....but as stated above good grammar is essential and in time everyone does learn that.

My advice don't go getting on the wrong side of anyone from the get go, especially people who have been on here a while.

Mavrick,

Have a bit of respect.

Respect is earnt bro.

The manual conversion is well worth it if your a 'driver' and I'd have searched harder for both a manual car in the first instance and then for your answers on the net before asking such a general question.

You have been accorded the appropriate level of courtesy and IMHO you've been let off lightly thus far - on many other forums you'd have been flamed hard by now! Bimmersport is a pretty friendly place.

Text typing and modern abbreviations aren't encouraged in these environs, so lighten up bro & fill in the empty spaces with your next post huh?

peace

Andy

Manual conversions are well worth it if you can do it, and/or really like your particular car- and are more reliable than an old auto. I myself buy a manual car if I want one.

Respect is earnt bro.

The manual conversion is well worth it if your a 'driver' and I'd have searched harder for both a manual car in the first instance and then for your answers on the net before asking such a general question.

You have been accorded the appropriate level of courtesy and IMHO you've been let off lightly thus far - on many other forums you'd have been flamed hard by now! Bimmersport is a pretty friendly place.

Text typing and modern abbreviations aren't encouraged in these environs, so lighten up bro & fill in the empty spaces with your next post huh?

peace

Andy

Well put.

Well are they respecting me??

Yep, i think so.I havn't heard anyone swear at you.Just suggest you change your grammer a bit.

Wel put Andy

It's teh interweb guys - play nice.

Remember kids, fighting on a forum is like running in the special olympics....even if you win, you're still a retard ;)

Depends how you are going about it mate. In my case im doing the engine and manual conversion at the same time so actually having the gearbox sitting in and bolting it all up I had to have the block ready to go in also. But if you have all the parts there and ready to do the conversion id say about 10hrs max prob less for me I dont know your mechanical capabilities so it all depends.

As far as im concerned there are people in here who have spent alot of time helping out others and willing to give free advice and I respect them greatly and you should too man its the least you can do for the friendly advice and help we in the bimmersport community have to offer.

Luke

Respect is earnt bro.

peace

Andy

Yea ok well like i said im new to this whole bmw thing so i am new to bimmersport so i did not expect to be ripped into just for saying a few text words. it would be much easier for someone to just say "hey mate do you think you could just not write in text language" instead of people saying stuff like.... "its even better when you can spell" i just think it didn’t need to be said and it is obvious that that person was just trying to annoy me.

And i am sorry if any people’s feelings have been hurt from this whole thing. And some things got said that didn’t need to be said from both sides of the augment.

Thanks

Chris

So to sum up - welcome to the forum, use proper English rather than txt, and if somone or the general forum gives you the info you are looking for it doesn't hurt to say thanks! And yes, it will be worth it to do the manual conversion. Much more so if either you or some mates can do it yourselves.

Edited by ducatiss