Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

2000 E39 528 Touring

So Ive finally found a family wagon to replace the 740. I plan to be doing quite a few things to it over time so here are some initial photos of how it all started.

post-116-1194148412_thumb.jpg post-116-1194148441_thumb.jpg post-116-1194148501_thumb.jpg post-116-1194148524_thumb.jpg

Intended mods are to get the sat nav going, an ipod hooked up, a ps2 possibly to handle games and as a dvd player, possibly a screen in the rear, reversing camera, my m-parallels will go on, angel eye upgrades to the front, clear sides, all red rears, facelift grills perhaps and whatever else I can think of.

Im thinking of swapping the comfort seats from my e38 in too, but as these are heated it might not be as easy as Id hoped. Anyway first I have to get the car next week from New Plymouth back to Wellington and then start saving and prioritising the job list :)

Looks like a really nice, clean, car.

Will the M Parallel's from the 7 fit on this car? They would look really sharp. Then you would also have a nice set of wheels (current ones on the 528i) to help sell the 7.

It must feel good to finally have something sorted after all that searching!

Congrats on the purchase. The car looks nice - will definitely be nice to have the nav going. Going to be exciting putting in all the mods :D

Good point about the M-Parallels... did you say they were actually meant for an E39? Would be a nice addition to this car if so.

When I bought the 7 I was told they were e38 wheels. When I had them off a couple of months ago I saw hubcentric rings on them. I looked again today to see they are in fact 8 and 9' so must be e39 wheels so they will fit straight on :) I hadnt noticed the rings before and Ive had two sets of tyres and theyve not been mentioned. Never had any trouble with them on the 7 either.

Will keep the current ones on as they have virtually new Potenzas all around and at 17' are likely to be a failrly decent ride.

Specs off the top of my head....tv, dvd nav, heated seats, folding mirrors, 8 airbags, sunroof, 'standard' seats - unfortunately, headlight washers, 17' m-sport alloys (replicas by the looks of them but they have the hole for the m-badge which I thought was the giveaway for replicas) and been serviced every 10k. Mint inside, a small scratch on the rear passengers door but thats all.

Basically couldnt fault it apart from needing new discs and a couple of clips for the trim. Looking forward to collecting it next weekend :-)

I had thought about a warranty but I have no idea about how to go about it....any suggestions ?

Ive had plenty of watchers on the 740, havent really been trying to sell it until now to be honest. A couple of offers of 8 grand but Ill have to get myself organised now and get rid of it. Im not going to give it away and I dont need to sell it straight away but at the same time I dont want to take much longer if I can help it.

Another note - does your have self levelling rear suspension?

I thought all tourings had the self levelling suspension. Only way to find out is to fill the boot with the ignition off and turn it on, you should see it rise slowly and level off.

Andrew, do you want to stick this thread into Rides instead of here and Ill start a fresh one in Projects when Ive got the car and some proper photos.

I thought all tourings had the self levelling suspension. Only way to find out is to fill the boot with the ignition off and turn it on, you should see it rise slowly and level off.

I thought it was an option - are you planning to lower the car at all?

Thread moved

I thought it was an option - are you planning to lower the car at all?

Thread moved

Hmmmm Im pretty sure that it was standard but then it may have only been from the facelift onwards. Ive just found on the web that it was an option in 99 so you may well be right mate.

Ill stick the m-pars on and see how it is before I start playing with ride height, but I will definately consider it. Getting all the goodies going first is going to be the priority and although I want it to look good first and foremost its going to be the family wagon :)

Have you lowered yours ?

Guest 540Si

Hey Martyn

Just out of sheer nosey curiosity ;) is the 740 on TM at the moment? Wouldn't mind checking out the listing

The touring looks mint by the way - and I'm jealous of your planned tech upgrades

Cheers!

Si

Have you lowered yours ?

Nah - was wondering how it is done with the air suspension.

Hi Martyn looks nice, I checked out a 1997 528 kiwi new touring out the hutt today, was ok 140km's relatively cheap. What sort of money did you pay as I am also hunting one out.

By the way, walk into GT Continental ask for catherine she is their finance manager and she can give you a price for a warranty, she can sell you one if you wish. My understanding is they have pretty good per claim limits now.

Richard

Hi Richard,

I hear you went to the green one in Seaview last week too. I dont know what you thought but it smelt like they'd butchered a dog in the back !

Thanks for the tip about Catherine I shall call in sometime during the week.

I hear you went to the green one in Seaview last week too. I dont know what you thought but it smelt like they'd butchered a dog in the back !

That is a cheap car, but it seems strange to me that an "SE" has a 3-series steering wheel on it... No cruise or stereo controls from the wheel...

Or trip computer....yes its cheap but its not certainly not pretty, lots of dings and scratches to the bodywork and interior trim, screws in the center console etc.

I dont think Ive seen a BMW with such a low spec, it had absolutely nothing in it.

Is this green one the one sold by 'adservices'? Thought it looked quite nice in photos, with the smell comment I'm now worried about buying a car sight unseen now! :unsure:

I am also wondering about the warranty thing - am also searching for a car now and I thought you could only get a mechanical warranty if you bought it off a dealer. If you manage to get one Martyn please let me know.

As for warranty, AA, $1250 for 3 years, no excess and servicing as required by the manufacturers not every 15000km/1 yr. But AA requires you to undergo its vehicle inspection, which was worthless.

Protecta is about $1800/3 years. With $250 excess. They require the above servicing. It'll be ok with BMWs with the service light regime but not for the ones equipped with Condition Based Servicing.

There is another product from Allianz which is reselling Protecta's anyway. $1350/3 years with $150 excess. Same conditions as Protecta.

I got the info for the last two from Cath in GT Cont.

State also offers mechanical warranty but not advertised in their website. Here's the link. Last I asked it was about $700/3 yrs which was very cheap and its terms and conditions were comparable to AA. But since Jeff Gray said it's dealt with AA quite a lot I went with them.

Martyn, to see what options your touring has, go to Jeff Gray and ask nicely whether they can pull the car's build sheet. It'll list all of the factory installed options.

post-38-1194243866_thumb.jpg

Edited by 318Touring

Hi Martyn

Nice new ride. You'll be pleased to get your touring at last. Welcome to the E39 club :D . I figure this can only be a good move for me as you'll become even more of an expert in E39's!

I have a mechanical warranty with http://janssenholdings.co.nz/. They have always paid out but insisted the part be shipped to Auckland before they agreed to replace it last time. Vijay dealt with them and said they seemed ok. Cost was about $1100 for 2 years with a service required annually to satisfy their conditions and I think $100 excess.

Cheers

Darren.

Just sorted it all out with Auto Movements, the car will be down here on Thursday afternoon and delivered to my door :)

All for the princely sum of $245+gst

As for warranty, AA, $1250 for 3 years, no excess and servicing as required by the manufacturers not every 15000km/1 yr. But AA requires you to undergo its vehicle inspection, which was worthless.

Protecta is about $1800/3 years. With $250 excess. They require the above servicing. It'll be ok with BMWs with the service light regime but not for the ones equipped with Condition Based Servicing.

There is another product from Allianz which is reselling Protecta's anyway. $1350/3 years with $150 excess. Same conditions as Protecta.

Remember that no warranty will cover (known) pre-existing faults.

The AA one sounds like a goody, but i'm sure one of their little man syndrome clipboard carriers would have great pleasure of pointing out every little flaw in a BMW (I speak from experience).

I can access Autosure Platinum warranties which have NO excess and cover everything (except service items) on vehicles under 12 years and 150,000kms. These seem to be very comprehensive. If you want any more info, PM me.

Must be exciting having the new car arrive soon!

Just remove the spare tyre and see if you have the air reservoir and the ari lines to the air shocks. thye ar eplainly visible when the spare tyre is out.

Jochen