Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

2000 E39 528 Touring

Well its taken a while but today things have finally started to move. The formula is simple.

You start with a stock standard e39 528i touring....

post-116-1225236635_thumb.jpg post-116-1225236644_thumb.jpg

You take a tired and unloved set of 18' Alpinas that youve had sat in your garage for 12 months....

post-116-1225236439_thumb.jpg post-116-1225236453_thumb.jpg post-116-1225236466_thumb.jpg

You then spend the weekend with a clay bar and a bottle of Megiaurs non-acidic wheel cleaner to get this....

post-116-1225236385_thumb.jpg

and finally you wrap them in a set of brand new Falken FK452's that you happen to stumble across by pure coincidence (thanks Brian and Richard).

You then get in touch with one of our very helpful and generous sponsors (thanks Keith and Ray) to get yourself some of these....

post-116-1225236752_thumb.jpg post-116-1225236777_thumb.jpg

Then you have a chat with another one of our friendly and helpful sponsors (thanks Glenn) and you end up with the instructions on how to drop the rear air suspension :D

Finally you leave all these goodies with your local mechanic and spend the day wondering how its all going to look ;)

Edited by Penry

Hot is my bet. nice work Martyyn. I don't need to tell you pics are compulsory once you get it back.

This is SO unfair of you to make us wait.

...Bet it feels good though

Damn took me AGES to notice that the alpina's were backwards...I thought they had a huge amount of dish.

So with the self leveling you don't need to lower the back with springs?

Should look mint.

This is SO unfair of you to make us wait.

...Bet it feels good though

The waiting is killing me !

I know what I want the car to look like when Im finished, but this part all depends on the springs. Keith said they would be a conservative drop, maybe an inch or so, and that will determine how much the rear comes down.

I dont want to slam it, but I do want to get rid of the arch gap that I have at the moment.

Fingers crossed it wont be long before I get to see it and its the right height :)

Damn took me AGES to notice that the alpina's were backwards...I thought they had a huge amount of dish.

So with the self leveling you don't need to lower the back with springs?

Should look mint.

Hehehe, just wanted to show the inside of the alloy after all my hard work !

Youre right, with the self levelling there is no need for springs. You basically fool the rear into thinking its correct ride height is lower than it is currently and it takes care of the rest.

Sorry to be a pain but just curious.

Is that a mechanical adjustment or electrical?

Just because at the moment all I can think of is the 2004ish Coonodores that had the air suspension you could deflate and inflate with a tyre valve at the bottom of the shock.

Mechanical. Remove the sway bar links, the car then 'bottoms out' and you reposition the linkages at least 10-15mm up from the 'bottom' depending on where you want the car to sit.

Will look great Martyn. The alpinas are easily one of best wheels for bimmers. Can't wait for the after pictures.

Nick

Guest Simon*

sh*t my alpinas look good ;)

Well done Martyn - looking forward to seeing it all put together

Off to get the car.....apparantly they didnt have to do anything with the rear. Once they put the front springs in and put it on the ground the rear levelled itself out all on its own !

But it failed its wof due to its wiper blades and they dont have anything long enough to do the job :(

Teaser, bear in mind my drive is far from level so Im not sure how it looks.

post-116-1225253369_thumb.jpg

In fact this is what it looked like a few months ago when I tried the Alpinas on....

post-116-1225253437_thumb.jpg

Anyone see any great difference ?

Driving home was very different however. Its MUCH stiffer than before and it really sticks to the road. Im looking forward to the springs settling and seeing how it goes in the next week.

looking very sharp, im a big fan of the q-ship, not over the top look, subtle stealth mod look.

looks mint :)

Nice! well done.

Really like the stance.

2 pics you posted don't look very different in height ... but in saying that the wheels are pretty fine.

Next mod, de-chrome those windows!

I like how you cleaned the inside of the wheels, that's how it should be done. The wheels look great! Can't see a big difference in height between the two pictures though. Any further mods planned?

Lookin good... personaly, I'd give it a tad more drop in the rear using my instructions. But I would wait first, untill the springs have settled.

Nice Martyn - clear facelift rear light upgrade?

Very subtle! I do like the car.

Agree with Graham on the rear lights. The clears look so natural on silver.

On the list (in no particular order) is....

Angel eye fronts and clear sides.

facelift grill in either black or shadowchrome, havent decided which yet.

Either clear rears (if I can find some) or tint the rears all red (more than likely).

Alpina front spoiler (just missed one on ebay for 50 notes).

Shadowlined bumper strips (those at knee height).

msport steering wheel.

hook up the ipod.

get the sat nav going and get a 16:9 screen

and a few others I cant think of right now.

Very subtle! I do like the car.

Agree with Graham on the rear lights. The clears look so natural on silver.

They do look good but at $1200 from the dealer I think Ill use the red tint spray I have and make them all red !

They do look good but at $1200 from the dealer I think Ill use the red tint spray I have and make them all red !

Fair call.

It's no wonder Beemers are written off so often rather than repaired!!!!