Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

2000 E39 528 Touring

Lookin good... personaly, I'd give it a tad more drop in the rear using my instructions. But I would wait first, untill the springs have settled.

Ill give it a couple of days to settle but I may then give you a ring. The guys doing the work said there was nothing under there to adjust and even spent several hours on the web themselves to see what the story was.

The car is presently 59cm on all four corner between bottom of the wheel arch and bottom lip of the alloy, so flat all around.

Ill see how it goes and move on from there. I was hoping for another cm or two but we'll see.

Ever considered M-sport kit all around Martyn? Motorsport Touring look good. But of course an Alpina theme would look good and unique at the same time. Facelift rears... just keep an eye out for secondhand ones, $1200 is ridiculous (I'm assuming those come with ballasts at least!)

Ive considered the msport theme yes, but there are so many e39's with the full body kit on now that its getting a little boring. Plus the cost of getting the parts is a little over the top. Ive got my eyes out around the UK for an Alpina front skirt so will try for one of those first.

The 1200 was just for a set of clear rears, no ballasts needed back there. I only paid 400 for the clears on my 7.

Are we talking about the CELIS facelift clears or pre-facelift clears? I think you need ballasts to retrofit the FL to a pre-FL, because the CELIS use LEDs.

Are we talking about the CELIS facelift clears or pre-facelift clears? I think you need ballasts to retrofit the FL to a pre-FL, because the CELIS use LEDs.

I didnt think the e39 used LEDS. The 'celis' part was basically a clear/crystal rear lense.

I didnt think the e39 used LEDS. The 'celis' part was basically a clear/crystal rear lense.

The celis is LED's. One at each end of the tube which lights the tube up.

The celis is LED's. One at each end of the tube which lights the tube up.

Thanks Nick, so everyone selling 'celis' lights that are just the lenses are having us on then ;)

Whatever it is the dealer is selling, I think Ill stick to the red tint I have left over from the e30 rears and save my $1200 for something else.

Hi Penry,

Welcome to the joys of modding a 5er, headlights face lift type clear corners with clear indicators, then change the bulbs to phantoms to really give you a clear look.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/BMW-Headlamp-Headli...-Angel-Eye-OEM-

Hella_W0QQitemZ360080407847QQcmdZViewItem?_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

Or go to the Xenon headlights and then you start talking money to do it correctly

As mentioned the face lift do have LED tail lights these can be purchased with ballasts for no face lift for around 4 to 5 hundred or go all out and buy them with a new light control module which you have to get programmed, lead to believe.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39-5-S...82812QQtcZphoto

The above are all Hella ones top quality hence the price tag OEM I believe to which helps.

You could change the dull angel eye park lights to these if you wish

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HYPER-WHITE...sspagenameZWDVW

The sports wheel you mentioned well the sky is the limit on that one trade me $495 plus air bag think I might have already touched on that one.

Have fun with your project.

Cheers Allan

Only a minor modification this one, but one Ive been keen to do from the start. My 740 had the leather armrest with the whole lot of it padded whereas the touring has one like this.

post-116-1226020655_thumb.jpg

Unfortunately with the cubby in the middle it makes both sides relatively stiff and I keep finding my elbow in the hole which is uncomfortable.

So I picked up a new one off Brent and five minutes later we have this.

post-116-1226020750_thumb.jpg

It also does this which allows me to have stuff in the car that cant be seen.

post-116-1226021017_thumb.jpg

Im happy :)

Guest Simon*

What's an armrest?

Oh that's what you auto drivers do with your left hand in the car ;)

I also did this last weekend, although Ive been hesitant to post the pictures because you cant see anything !

I 'taped' over the chrome on the bumper and door strips to see if I like the 'all' black look or want to colour code them instead. Personally I prefer the black but Ill leave the tape on and see what I think. The chrome definately has to go though.

post-116-1226021627_thumb.jpg post-116-1226021786_thumb.jpg

Guest Simon*

I also did this last weekend, although Ive been hesitant to post the pictures because you cant see anything !

I 'taped' over the chrome on the bumper and door strips to see if I like the 'all' black look or want to colour code them instead. Personally I prefer the black but Ill leave the tape on and see what I think. The chrome definately has to go though.

Looks pretty good

Did I hear someone mention Style 5's :P

Faaaaaaaaaark my wheels look good on your nanna-wagon ;)

And then there was none. A little more rangi-tape just to see what it looks like. I think Ill be going to a few paint shops to see what they would charge to paint it because it looks much better now.

post-116-1226085500_thumb.jpg

Edited by Penry

Woo hoo, lights are in. I can totally recommend the Eurolights guys on TM. Delivery was super fast, everything was well packed, they pre-wired and installed all the xenon for me and supplied all the bulbs.

All I had to do was connect the ballasts, remove the original lights and put the new ones in. Total time to swap over was under 30 minutes. I need to find a better way to 'mount' the ballasts and Im thinking of spraying the indicators silver, but other than that Im impressed.

Quick shot....

post-116-1227060375_thumb.jpg

looking good Martyn...I used a whole bottle of wheel cleaner and lots of scrubbing on my BBs,s

Ah that's better. The orange was making me want to look away. Now it looks awesome.