Sign in to follow this  
jjs

TradeMe - things that aggrivate me!

I'm sure this sought of thing has been done before, but TradeMe is now starting to drive me up the wall....

Things that seem to keep occurring when buying or selling things on TradeMe:

1. Silly questions asked when the answer is in the text of the auction.

2. The people who ask questions, especially stupid / obscure ones and never bid

3. Whenever someone makes an offer, they always add cash, e.g. "$3000 cash mate?". What else would you expect payment in? Dirt???

4. People excessively listing everything they can think of as keywords, making it hard to wade through pages and pages of irrelevant stuff when searching out something in particular

5. Sellers profiting through excessive postage charges

6. People that don't pay, claiming it was their ten year old son bidding...

Feel free to add some more of your own!

These things do really get to me, but I guess its the price you pay for being able to easily buy or sell just about anything under the sun. My life would be quite different (and i'd get a lot more done in a day!) if TradeMe didn't exist.

* EDIT - attempted to tidy up my spelling for Cain's sake.

Edited by JJS

"2. The people who ask questions, especially stupid / obscure ones and never bid" +1

Poor spelling

Same, hayt poeple who carnt spel proply.

Crappy descriptions on big ticket items eg cars.

" it's got a pod filter and sh!t" etc

listing any obscure BMW as a M3 or M5 in keywords....ever tried to look for an M5 or an M3 esp M5!!!!

What annoys me is when people list a car with no pictures, and barely any info, and expect to sell it at a price other than $1 reserve. And like you said, when a great description has been written by the seller and someone comes along and doesn't even bother reading it before asking questions.

Also think some people should learn to take better pictures of their items (ie: taking a picture of tyre treads up close but the camera focuses on the wall behind instead) but I concede that it's reasonable that the older people may not be as good at handling digital cameras.

The question thing does annoy me a little sometimes, but at the end of the day, questions asked by people comes with selling anything - I feel bad for asking sometimes, but if I think about it, hey I'm buying your stuff aren't I? For example if I'm shopping around for a TV I would ask questions on all the ones that I would potentially buy. I could ask questions on 10 auctions, but I'd only bid on one. Works the other way round - lots of people have asked me questions and I answer to the best of my ability but I don't really expect them to bid. Unless you were referring to people who don't have any intention whatsoever to buy the item, then I agree that it's just wasting the seller's time.

Btw I always thought saying 'cash' was valid, because I take that to mean they will pay the full amount upfront in cash when they collect the item, and not pay in parts, etc. So it can be an incentive for the seller. It's pretty much already implied that the winner of the auction will do so, but it's worth saying it - some sellers place extra value on it.

Being outbid at the last minute because of slow internet.

That deserves a thread of its own, for your ISP!

That deserves a thread of its own, for your ISP!

It was at uni, and they sometimes just go uber slow. Was a sh!thouse time for it to, cause the item I would've won was a steal.

Btw I always thought saying 'cash' was valid, because I take that to mean they will pay the full amount upfront in cash when they collect the item, and not pay in parts, etc. So it can be an incentive for the seller. It's pretty much already implied that the winner of the auction will do so, but it's worth saying it - some sellers place extra value on it.

i always saw that to mean they would be handing you a wad of cash, folding stuff, rather then a cheque or bank deposit, which i find is always a good incentive for a quick sale.

i always saw that to mean they would be handing you a wad of cash, folding stuff, rather then a cheque or bank deposit, which i find is always a good incentive for a quick sale.

Well I would always expect someone to pay up front for something. I'm not a bank or a finance company and thus do not offer payment terms. Money is still money, being a cheque or cash makes no difference (unless you are trying to evade the IRD)

I think adding "cash" after an offer is attempted to take the "what the f**k are you on?" edge off a low-ballers request!

Most ridiculous offers come from people who haven't even viewed the car, or spoken to you about it.

It was at uni, and they sometimes just go uber slow. Was a sh!thouse time for it to, cause the item I would've won was a steal.

should always use autobid - hasn't failed me yet!

I get pissed at trademe for removing auctions when you put your contact details so someone can come and look at what you have for sale. If it is a big ticket item - eg LCD TV, it is reasonable to expect people will want to see it before bidding. Retard Me's answer? "make sure you have plenty of good photo's and an accurate description" C'MON!!

idiots that ask the same Q on 5 different auctions from the same seller .

morons that never reply or make any effort to contact you after winning the bid or clicking the buy now .

Retards who think that by making their whole auction description in capital f**king letters it will sell better. It's a bitch to read a description when you feel like its shouting at you the whole time

My Personal Hate List

1. People asking for a Buy Now - If I wanted to have one, I would have listed it with one!

2. Requests for Fixed price Offers, but then no decisions!

3. Over-inflated freight costs

4. People ( have one at the moment ) who take a week or so to post the item ( excuses such as ' I need to find the cord' - FFS people - have the item ready B4 you list! )

5. People who obviously are on the PC, as they bid as auction ends, or do a Buy Now, but then take 4 or 5 days to respond and pay!

6. People who complain that the Used Item they bought is missing some small insignificent cover or similar! ( Buy new if you want in new condition! )

7. People who place bad feedback without asking me to remedy any issues first!

Well, that's my rant :)

ALSO...

People who post pointless comments on your auction, such as....

"Nice car bro, if only I had some spare cash at da mo"

The standard $1 reserve questions...

"Why you selling so cheap? What is wrong with it?"

"Got a buy now?"

BUT even worse, those that post comments undermining your sale, such as...

"Bidders beware, you can buy these new for only $xxx"

"People are bidding heaps for this, saw one sell last week for $1000 less"

BUT even worse, those that post comments undermining your sale, such as...

"Bidders beware, you can buy these new for only $xxx"

"People are bidding heaps for this, saw one sell last week for $1000 less"

Whats worse is people selling for more than the items are in the shops !!!!

Having said that, its buyer beware, if you dont know the true value then more fool you.

Whats worse is people selling for more than the items are in the shops !!!!

Having said that, its buyer beware, if you dont know the true value then more fool you.

Exactly.

I get pissed at trademe for removing auctions when you put your contact details so someone can come and look at what you have for sale. If it is a big ticket item - eg LCD TV, it is reasonable to expect people will want to see it before bidding. Retard Me's answer? "make sure you have plenty of good photo's and an accurate description" C'MON!!

Haha, I have my mobile # in my profile under "favourite quote". I just point people there!

With you on the silly questions:

• Questions from some moron who lives in the far north, about something for sale in Wellington - when delivery is pick-up only!
  • Morons who ask the same question several times!
  • Idiots that ask if you are prepatred to swap an HQ Ute for your CBR1100 Honda Motorcycle - sorry I didn't see where I noted that a peice of crap was suitable as an alternative for cash!
  • People who win your auction, then readvertise without paying you, and without telling you wot's going on!
  • Trademe support - it doesn't matter how badly the seller has screwed up (photo not of advertsied goods, incorrect description, not contacting you after 3 emails) you are obligated to complete the sale.
  • People who sell you some goods that are not as advertised, then when you post neutral feedback to that affect they post crap feedback back, claiming they offered a refund etc - when they never did - and ignor any emails asking for them to make good on claimed refund. Only 1 tosser did it to me but damn I'd like to rip the nasty git a new one! This seems to be how feedback works making it worthless!
  • No being able to put contact details - hey Trademe arseholes, if I am selling something worth over a $1000 or buying something worth that sort of money i expect to be able to check it out, and for people to inspect it - afterall you take a big enough bloody cut! (while providing absoltely no f'ing support anymore).
  • How expensive it is now - fees everywhere - tried selling a car lately, it's a big chunk of cash to list, then an even bigger sucsess fee - about $60! (while providing absoltely no f'ing support anymore).
  • There is no way to contact customer support anymore, except by hijacking someother message that goes to customer support
Edited by jimbo

Haha, I have my mobile # in my profile under "favourite quote". I just point people there!

Nice - i'll try that.

They forget that at a real auction you do get the chance to view the good prior to auction. They have been claiming themselves that they are not really conducting auctions. All they are worroed about is peolpe bypassing there slaes fees - and given how high they are getting why wouldn't you!

I hate autoextend, some auctions end up finishing half an hour after they were meant to.

AND.. when people give you their work address to post the item to and it always seems to come back. I mean, whats wrong with giving a home address? I swear its happened at least 5 times!

Ummm, because they won't be home when the courier arrives, or more likely - like me - live in a rural area where they don't deliver by courier so HAVE to get it sent to work. But they should suss it with their workplace so it doesn't get bounced back.

You have to have auto -extend - how else can you make that last minute decision to bid a tad higher to outbid someone else?

I definately agree with everything else though.