Sign in to follow this  
zenetti

IPOD vs.............

alright, so I decided yesterday that I would go out and buy a new IPOD nano............... but was not as simple as I first thought :wacko: .

I quite like the new Sony video walkmans, I have always been a fan of Sony (ducks for cover), but now there is Samsung, Iriver, Philips, Scandisk..... the list is endless.

I am not a particularly big fan of Apple but thought it may be best because of the huge range of accessories, however looking through tarde me. it seems that a lot of 'aftermarket accessories' fit a wide range of models. The sony is about the same size as the nano now and has done away with the old ATRACS system and uses drag and drop (perfect for the missus :P )

What is everyone else here using? The salesmen that I were talking to were pretty useless and didn't know much more than me. Most of them said the IPOD was best, but I think this was just due to their popularity. I have also heard the batteries are not too good and tend to crap out shortly after the warranty expires.

any help/thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Edited by zenetti

I bought a samsung and took it back for the nano, purely for the click wheel, when you have 4gb or more of music its a hell of a lot quicker scrolling rather than tapping a painful touch-screen.

I'd say a sony could be ok with windows media player 11 for a newbie, but ONLY if they got rid of their proprietry software. Sony software is awful!

Apple FTW, or maybe one of those samsungs without a touch screen ..

Aaaand all these devices can take lunix :)

My own opinion and i have owned the sony/ipod shuffles/nano/samsung. Ipod batteries can be replaced too, i think they are pretty good though.

Edited by Chris C

There's a good thread here that covers this topic. However it all comes down to personal choice. Just weigh up how important storage space/functionality/aesthetics/useability is to you and then choose a player that fits those parameters.

FWIW: WIth regards to battery life etc, I've had my ipod for 3 years and no problems whatsoever

iPod Touch. Spend the extra on the 16GB. I've nearly filled the 8GB.

Never had one before. Am thinking of buying the Sister-in-law a Red Nano for Christmas. Haven't had time to go and compare it to the Touch.

By the time the battery is gone, you'll want to upgrade anyway. I've had my ipod for 3 years as well. It's massive, black and white, and only plays music. I'm holding out for an iPhone though.

E: Still works fine though.

Edited by antony

what do you need it for are you going to use it in your car , or for portable use walking etc .

if for the car consider the car stereos that have a usb input ,plug in a usb stick or portable harddrive for all your songs .

We sell all of them (Retravision) so if anyone wants a hook up pm me, there is no markup on ipods though so cant really do much $ off on them.

Guest 540Si

I started that other thread asking about ipods and I guess by way of an update I should tell you I did end up buying one :)

Was just about to get myself an 8Gb nano but ended up buying a used 80Gb Video off TM - came with a huge range of accessories and was only slightly more $$$ than a new nano. I liked the idea of a 16Gb touch but just too small and too pricey for me at around $650.

Now I've got all my music, all my photos (great for showing off your kids, or car for that matter!) heaps of movies, including divx or mpeg4 clips off my digicam and a few "backed up" dvds on there too, and I still have about 50Gb free.

All the software I needed to install, convert or leech movies or music from friends' ipods etc came free off the net.

And I invested $15 in one of those ciggie lighter 5-in-1 charger, cradle, FM tuner thingies too - was a good buy.

So I don't have any regrets about going apple - so far! ;)

Cheers and good luck!!

Si

And I invested $15 in one of those ciggie lighter 5-in-1 charger, cradle, FM tuner thingies too - was a good buy.

only $15? is it any good? what brand?

I've got a nano 4gb and a 1gb shuffle that I never use.

Guest 540Si

It's a no-name brand. TM is overflowing with them - like this: Linky

Seems to do the trick - can tension up the arm and it seems to hold in there pretty well

It's a no-name brand. TM is overflowing with them - like this: Linky

Seems to do the trick - can tension up the arm and it seems to hold in there pretty well

what head deck are you running that into (picture would be good)

better to get direct link stereo in the dash .

i can help there (in the business)

Guest 540Si

what head deck are you running that into (picture would be good)

better to get direct link stereo in the dash .

i can help there (in the business)

Sounds good. I have the BMW Business RDS deck with 6 disc changer in boot Interior shot - Headunit

and Brent - Plasma or LCD? ;)

Edited by 540Si

Sounds good. I have the BMW Business RDS deck with 6 disc changer in boot Interior shot - Headunit

and Brent - Plasma or LCD? ;)

get the dension unit if you want to keep original head unit .

http://www.dension.com/oem2.php?car_id=837

mate go with the plasma pioneer or panasonic ...

lcd was originally only designed to be a small screen for portable stuff .

plasma was engineered to replace crt andbe much bigger etc .

lcd is a mecanical system(slow pixels that jam up some tim) with a back light thats always on so in the dark area of the picture the light still shines through.

thats my 2 cents worth .

more marketing is done on the lcd's because they make more profit on the panels so can throw more money at adverts etc ....

cheers .

lcd for your car . plasma for your home

I have an LCD, its not huge, does the job, hdtv I like it. also I have a 3rd generation ipod from geez maybe 3 or 4 years ago? Battery hasnt died, still runs fine, and I run an auxillery input into my head deck.. I also have usb input.. and sd card input as well as the cd stuff etc etc, goes great. my 2cents also.

Guest 540Si

get the dension unit if you want to keep original head unit .

http://www.dension.com/oem2.php?car_id=837

mate go with the plasma pioneer or panasonic ...

lcd was originally only designed to be a small screen for portable stuff .

plasma was engineered to replace crt andbe much bigger etc .

lcd is a mecanical system(slow pixels that jam up some tim) with a back light thats always on so in the dark area of the picture the light still shines through.

thats my 2 cents worth .

more marketing is done on the lcd's because they make more profit on the panels so can throw more money at adverts etc ....

cheers .

lcd for your car . plasma for your home

Cheers Brent - sounds good

Am going to be up next week, I might try to get in touch for some wee E34 bits

Cheers

Simon