Sign in to follow this  
Mark

Is this cheeky or what!!

Someone is selling German Plates on Trademe.... looks to me like they're simply taking orders and then ordering them from germanplates.com! <_< Is this allowed? Easy money though if potential buyers don't know any better.

Guest 540Si

Yeah and I reckon that putting it on trademe like that is going to get them banned real fast!

Dodgy bugger's making close to $70 a pair

Auto Passion in chch also sells them. Got to wonder what the germanplates.com guys think of this.

Guest 540Si

Auto Passion in chch also sells them. Got to wonder what the germanplates.com guys think of this.

Business is business probably - but it would be sad to see such a great service lost to the public because someone got greedy and made to much noise trying to market them

Bit rough claiming they are 100% legal!.

I agree with 540si though - business is business.

Some people may not feel comftable buying things from a country far away, i guess this eliminates this as they are buying from someone in New Zealand.

Its not the first time someone has done it, Im very tempted to ask him a question if he's claiming they are legal.

Its not the first time someone has done it, Im very tempted to ask him a question if he's claiming they are legal.

Thought about that to, but i see there are a few un-answered questions so possilbly others from here have asked that already.

Bit rough claiming they are 100% legal!.

I agree with 540si though - business is business.

Some people may not feel comftable buying things from a country far away, i guess this eliminates this as they are buying from someone in New Zealand.

$70 is quite a bit of profit...for a middle man...

Rather than using the selling platform offered on German Plates, I suppose it is very true that a lot of kiwis feel "safer" when buying on TM for that very purpose.

So rather than selling a product, this person is more or less selling a service instead...

Though the claims are a bit over the top...People like these are ruining the fun for others....

Not the first, won't be the last.

I don't care as I think they look mint.

Better than the others you can get with the euro backing and screw jappa type on top!

He answered:

hey mate just letting you know these plates are not legal, i also have a set. only plates that have been issued from personal plates or ltsa are legal. but it is very hard to spot the differences between these and the real ones and i have never had any problems posted by: gurlbait (16 Posted Image) 10:06 am, Wed 12 DecPosted ImageHey dude, thanks for your concern. I have had these plates on both of my cars for over three years now and have repeatedly checked the legality with W.O.F and when registering, to find that they are 100% legal on NZ roads. Nz has extremely loose laws for number plates and only requires them to be legible, what your are saying is very true of Australia along with many other countries. 10:58 am, Wed 12 DecPosted ImagePosted ImageSeller Comment:

Hello interested buyers, I have made an effort of checking the legality of these plates again and can ensure you they are legal. If you are still concered check regulations for yourself at LTSA(there are no regulations on the type of plate). Although it probaly stands for itself that many road users have been driving on these trusted plates for years and still continue to.If this is still not enough many NZ new cars designed specificaly for NZ spec have the housing for these longer plates.thanks 11:09 am, Wed 12 Dec

would have to question him saying they are 100% legal.

$70 a pair is a pretty tidy sum to make for placing an order, but i guess if you can get away with it then why not. (I'll still buy direct from germanplates though)

Laurence.

He's now going to report me to trademe for trying to sabotage his auction.....its been a while since Ive had a dustup with someone, Im quite looking forward to this :)

Ahhh bugger, he's blacklisted me and I cant ask any more questions....nice email Ive had from him though :) Wish he was brave enough to come round and say it to my face !

$70 is quite a bit of profit...for a middle man...

Well, don't buy them off him then!

Good on him for thinking outside the square! I can feel a bit of resentment from people on here who are kicking themselves because they didn't think of it first...

Well, don't buy them off him then!

Good on him for thinking outside the square! I can feel a bit of resentment from people on here who are kicking themselves because they didn't think of it first...

Hey, he can sell them for 7 grand for all I care if your stupid enough to buy them without doing your research then thats your problem.

Just dont tell lies on your auction.

not as bad as the guy selling instructions on how to reset service lights

not as bad as the guy selling instructions on how to reset service lights

LOL! Link?

On further thought I feel that what this guy is doing is absolutely unethical. There are many people out there who don't know about germanplates.com and think they can only get Euro-style plates through this rip-off merchant.

Sure, if he had a contract with germanplates to sell their product in New Zealand that would be sweet as. But he's simply sitting on his arse buying plates off their site for the retail price and then hiking that price by almost 100%.

However, as far as I know it's not against the law to do such a thing... so there's nothing an angry bimmersporter can do about it! :)

It is not legal to use these plates on your car under NZ law therefore this auction is in breach of the trade me terms and conditions 4.2 d) You must not list anything that is illegal. I know first hand that these plates aren't legal because i ave been personally fined by a traffic officer, furthermore these plates can be bought at half the cost from www.germanplates.com making this a wee money making scam at the expense of innocent trade me members.

no need to thank me ...

So how many people have either been fined or received a letter about their plates ? Because I know your not the first Ollie.

It is not legal to use these plates on your car under NZ law therefore this auction is in breach of the trade me terms and conditions 4.2 d) You must not list anything that is illegal. I know first hand that these plates aren't legal because i ave been personally fined by a traffic officer, furthermore these plates can be bought at half the cost from www.germanplates.com making this a wee money making scam at the expense of innocent trade me members.

no need to thank me ...

Way ahead of ya... have reported this guys listing and wrote pretty much what you typed there! (except for the getting fined part) Haha! :D

Why doesn't some one here just start selling them at ~$110, and undercut him :lol:.

Edited by antony

Why doesn't some one here just start selling them at ~$110, and undercut him :lol:.

i would employ you

now it looks like he's got his mate to stick up for him to make his auction look semi legit..

I agree, if he wants to sell the plates and make a profit I don't agree with this but then that is his business, but, NOT at the expense of people that do not realise they are buying an illegal plate.

Laurence.

Edited by Old_Skool_Bmw

Tool

But heaps of people are selling Illegal stuff. Eg cars with cut springs,bongs,etc etc.