Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

Wellington Airport

I just uploaded this on youtube

Bugga that....I'll drive next time

I came in from Aussie a couple of months back and after 3 attempts at landing they sent us to Chch where it was too late for them to process us (intl) so they refueled and and sent us back, couldn't land and then it was too late (curfew of 1am) to land so redirected to akld. All the while other planes had landed, no qudos to our useless pilot.

You should look at the footage from planes trying to land at the old Long Bok (or was it Kai Tak) airport, seeing a 747 doing 70-90? degree turns right before landing is spectacular

E: And if you didn't know, 747's used to land here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:QANTAS_..._Wellington.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pink

Ken would know all about these!

I had a landing like those in Edinburgh. Scared the crap out of all the people on the plane. It touched down on one set of landing gear and wiggled around a bit fighting the wind then dropped like a rock onto the other side landing gear. British Airways plane. Two engine one.

It's a buzz if you have the controls. A wind speed limit is also put in place if it gets to rough in Wellington. But a nice piece to watch, with some good flying skills on show.

Allan

A fair few of those aren't at Wellington. But it is rated as one of the 10 most difficult airports in the world to land at.

I've had plenty of terrifying flights in and out of there.

Thankfully the Beech 1900 (19 seats) that I took from the to Blenheim yesterday was smooth. Had Helen Clark with us too.

Pity there is no shots of planes landing at Welly on a WINDY day. Now that is excitement!

There are a few small charter companys that flys very small aircraft out of welly. They are normally cessna sized.

Good for cheap flights accross the ditch.

They are good fun to be in when it gets windy or starts gettin ruff. (poor aircraft get throwen around like rag dolls.)

Sometimes it feels like a tactical flight in a C 130 hercules :D

came in to wellington once late at night from aussie,was a 767 i think.was quite windy so lots of turbulence and side slipping etc,pilot absolutely planted it on the tarmac,roughest landing ever.When i got home every one was surprised as the airport was theoretically closed!