Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Cleaning wheels?

does anyone have any ideas for cleaning wheels up? my wheels have crusty yellowish stuff that looks like dried glue all over them, I cant seem to get it off with the usual brush + cleaner idea.

Also, will the dark grey bit split from the rest of the wheel to make it easier to repaint, or are the bolts just for show?

Id like to get the bare steel parts nice and shiny if its at all possible

thanks

post-2681-1203221741_thumb.jpg

If you want to do a really mint job I'd take the wheels apart, sand down the with some fine grade sandpaper (start with 1200grit, then work your way up to 2000grit) then polish with a metal polish before getting a clearcoat put on to stop further oxidisation.

Also, do a search on bimmerforums.com, there are plenty of dudes on there who've restored old 3-piece BBS wheels and the like, they should be able to give you some tips.

the key is getting the clear coat thats gone crusty off polish, polish polish .. then getting them clear coated again ..

or take them to arrow, brugar etc to do them for you.

yeah on gannet's advice i had a search around some other forums, ill probably try basically what he said and fine sand it, then polish it, and ill probably also have to repaint the centres theyre quite chipped, especially around where the lug cover is, when the bolts halfway out it likes to swing down and grind all along the edge. Ill definately post some pictures when i get around to giving it a go

the key is getting the clear coat thats gone crusty off polish, polish polish .. then getting them clear coated again ..

or take them to arrow, brugar etc to do them for you.

Hey Josh, Brugar at Takapuna is pretty good?

Talk to Craig Andersen @ Kudako Distributors, 06 377 3320

some kinda acid... super nasty, be sure to wear rubber gloves. Mine were filthy, the crap just wouldnt come off, and I got some mag wheel/alloy cleaner from these guys and they came up looking brand new :)