Sign in to follow this  
Venatus

Euro plates made in NZ

$400 Europlates @ plates.co.nz

All I can say is WHAT A RIPOFF!!!

400 big ones for an upgrade from standard general purpose plates to the same digits on a europlate?

I suppose at least theyd technically be "legal" unlike the germanplates.com ones.

But 400 bucks is still pretty extravagant for a bit of painted tin.

Edited by Ven

Your car would look cool with Silver on Black and being Pre-87 it would probably be deemed legal.

Mine were $120 including mounting frames from http://www.dubmeister.co.uk/

I would like a set for my BMW also

Goto www.germanplates.com

I got my euro plates (NZ) landed here in NZ for $120NZD that included 2x plates, 2x brackets for screwless installation and tracked shipping.

There is an issue in that plates.co.nz has copywrighted it's product, but the guy will send you stickers at your request for the NZ and NZ fern either side of your plate (even though he sent them affixed to the plates anyways lol)

They're made to a very high standard, & being german probably better than the ones made here anyway. Plates.co.nz are miles overpriced!

Edited by Deeveus525i

If you think that is rip off, I got charged $82 by PLATES today to delist my plates from Euro ranking to plain. Why you may ask ??? Because the Euro Plate I bought won't fit in the gap of the rear boot and only an NZ original can. The $82 was for the paperwork and on Tuesday I can ask REMAKE to issue a normal plate.

If you think that is rip off, I got charged $82 by PLATES today to delist my plates from Euro ranking to plain. Why you may ask ??? Because the Euro Plate I bought won't fit in the gap of the rear boot and only an NZ original can. The $82 was for the paperwork and on Tuesday I can ask REMAKE to issue a normal plate.

That is ridiculous, paying for a downgrade. I reckon the $82 would be better off put towards a secondhand E60 boot with the Euro size recess (assuming they're the same as the M5's) and getting it painted!

Can't you just ask LicenSys to remake you a normal plate?

I would imagine if you have the right to a Euro plate, then you retrospectively can have a "lower class" plate made?

Can't you just ask LicenSys to remake you a normal plate?

I would imagine if you have the right to a Euro plate, then you retrospectively can have a "lower class" plate made?

Get a hack saw a cut it down to size and angle grind the corners

Thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.

I'd put that $82 towards shotgun shells for the idiots who came up with that idea!

Is Plates.co.nz owned by government or is it privately owned?

FAIL.

You didn’t buy them for the car did you?? Another reason to buy NZ new :P

FAIL.

You didn’t buy them for the car did you?? Another reason to buy NZ new :P

I bought the plates S/H from Plates and they were already Euro style which I thought was great. When the car landed, I realised that the e60s in JP have smaller bonnet holes which was annoying. Looked at a new M5 boot but Stealer wanted too much. Last resort is to put the Euro plate on the front and standard plate on the rear.

Why buy a NZ new car when the JP model is $30k cheaper ... :P

Thats the most retarded thing I've ever heard of.

I'd put that $82 towards shotgun shells for the idiots who came up with that idea!

Is Plates.co.nz owned by government or is it privately owned?

LTNZ i think? So yes its the government, kind of ironic because they always talk about combating anti-competitive behavior.

I just had my two personalised plates remade by LicenSys for $28. Ordered on Wed and were here on Sat morn.

$400 Europlates @ plates.co.nz

All I can say is WHAT A RIPOFF!!!

400 big ones for an upgrade from standard general purpose plates to the same digits on a europlate?

I suppose at least theyd technically be "legal" unlike the germanplates.com ones.

But 400 bucks is still pretty extravagant for a bit of painted tin.

+ another $400 for customised letters <_<

I bought the plates S/H from Plates and they were already Euro style which I thought was great. When the car landed, I realised that the e60s in JP have smaller bonnet holes which was annoying. Looked at a new M5 boot but Stealer wanted too much. Last resort is to put the Euro plate on the front and standard plate on the rear.

Why buy a NZ new car when the JP model is $30k cheaper ... :P

I bet there is some trim you could get which would allow you to run a euro plate...prolly more than $82 tho

LTNZ i think? So yes its the government, kind of ironic because they always talk about combating anti-competitive behavior.

And they're are trying to get us to buy New Zealand made (I assume there made here). It's no wonder people go overseas when a product is 25% of the cost it is here. Edited by antony

I bet there is some trim you could get which would allow you to run a euro plate...prolly more than $82 tho

If like E39 etc - yes a different bumper trim on front bumper but still leaves the bootlid a problem - I imagine E60 etc are the same for the rear?

And they're are trying to get us to buy New Zealand made (I assume there made here). It's no wonder people go overseas when a product is 25% of the cost it is here.

Yea if NZ made was competitively priced i'd probably buy it.

I just had my two personalised plates remade by LicenSys for $28. Ordered on Wed and were here on Sat morn.

What do you mean remade? like a different style or something?

I wouldn't suggest getting German plates anymore guys.

I just got pinged $200 for my ones and ordered to take them off. Now my car looks like sh*t... and $400 at plates.co.nz is utter bullshit

f**king monpolies

You know .. the same goes for each time you want to modify your car / suspension legally

Its $418 for the initial cert and another 418 everytime you want to make changes to have it re-certed.

Stink, I have heard that they are getting strict on this, reasons are to do with the font being different to NZ font and that some numbers and letters are hard to read.. I bet NZ plates are behind the push on it though.

Ours are black with silver text and I haven’t had any problems.. Fingers crossed touch wood

Its also to do with the new number-plate reading cameras - they don't work on other fonts - one of the reasons nz standard plates font change a year or two back.

I'm still rocking mine, but have altered them to look like nz plates. Got pulled up the other day in Whangarei becasue he thought they looked odd, but let me go happy that they were legit.

I thinks its super gay that they are allowed to charge so much. If they were more reasonably priced I'd happily buy the legit ones.

Anyone got any ideas about who we could write to to try and get things changed? As futile as it may be.

Edited by bravo

Im sure there is a petition against the monopoly somewhere.. its nearly $900 to get a new euro P-Plate.