Sign in to follow this  
jjs

Petrol has now hit $2 per litre...

High-octane petrol is nudging $2 a litre at some pumps after two of the big four oil companies bumped their fuel prices up yesterday - for the third successive week.

The latest increases ratcheted BP's "boutique" 98-octane petrol to 199.9c a litre as the price of United States crude oil soared to a new high of just over US$115 a barrel.

Both BP and Caltex lifted petrol prices by 3c a litre, and that of diesel by 5c, to 151.9c.

Their prices for the most widely used petrol grade, 91-octane, stood at main centre pumps last night at 185.9c a litre.

That makes their petrol 8c more expensive than a fortnight ago, and diesel an even harsher 18c.

But Shell, Mobil and Gull had yet to move by last night, prompting a call from the Automobile Association for motorists to shop around for the best deals.

Shell indicated it would not review its prices until this morning, Mobil could not be reached for comment, and Gull said it would hold out until at least noon today.

That company's New Zealand general manager, Dave Bodger, said it was still selling 91-octane petrol for 181.9c a litre and diesel for 145.9c, leaving its prices 1c below those of Shell and Mobil. Its 98-octane petrol with a 10 per cent bioethanol content remained at 191.9c. Automobile Association spokesman Mark Stockdale acknowledged that international cost pressures were leaving oil companies little choice but to raise prices.

But he expressed alarm that BP's 98-octane petrol had already effectively reached the psychologically daunting $2 mark, even before motorists were hit by a raft of Government imposts.

These will include a 2c-a-litre rise in the accident compensation levy on July 1, which is likely to be followed early next year by carbon emission charges, biofuel recovery costs and regional fuel taxes predicted by BP to lift pump prices at least another 35c.

Mr Stockdale said one way the Government could soften motorists' pain would be to waive the goods and services tax it piled on top of the 42.5c a litre which motorists pay in petrol excise.

"At the moment we are paying a tax on a tax," he said.

Given that the Government collects $95 million a month in GST on all fuel sales, including diesel, the AA believes it could afford to waive the 5.3c it creams off the excise component of petrol prices.

BP spokeswoman Diana Stretch said it was not for her company to comment on such a suggestion, but she acknowledged it was not looking forward to the Government levy increases it would have to pass on to motorists.

Road Transport Forum chief executive Tony Friedlander said cartage firms had no alternative than to pass diesel price rises on to customers, leading to cost of living increases for all New Zealanders.

Getting pricey.The E34 chomped thru $130 at last fill on 98.

A brand new Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre is only $250, fuel is way out of proportion compared to other costs.

Sign of the times...nuthin you can do about it.

I suppose the price for a hooker is going to go up as well. :rolleyes:

I suppose the price for a hooker is going to go up as well. :rolleyes:

Just pick them up on a push bike

I will happily drive my car everyday everywhere until petrol hits $2.50 then i will "invest" in a old school 50cc motorbike to get to work and back.

I will happily drive my car everyday everywhere until petrol hits $2.50 then i will "invest" in a old school 50cc motorbike to get to work and back.

Would suggest you start looking, Quick. :D

F*&k that even big bikes get over 50 mpg

Getting pricey.The E34 chomped thru $130 at last fill on 98.

A brand new Goodyear Eagle F1 tyre is only $250, fuel is way out of proportion compared to other costs.

does the E 34 benefit from 98??but you are chipped and afm delete arent you?? Edited by kiwi535

does the E 34 benefit from 98??but you are chipped and afm delete arent you??

No chip remember, MapEcu 2, laptop programming.

Only benefits because of timing advanced 8-9 degrees at top end of rev range.Map has ability to run 2 diff maps, i could tune a map on 91 or 95 and have that also and just switch over at will.

I am not getting the full benefit of 98 because my engine is completely stock, 10:1 compression would boost pwr considerably.

post-1048-1208491872_thumb.jpg The numbers denote the amount of advance over stock, 0=stock, 2= 2 deg advance, etc etc.

post-1048-1208492574_thumb.jpg 3-D version.

Edited by mr E34

surely running 98 would allow you advance the timing more than 95 would though? and give you an increase in economy?

surely running 98 would allow you advance the timing more than 95 would though? and give you an increase in economy?

Yes, thats right. The economy is better when cruising at a good pace, engine runs so much better tho, fueling/timing optimised to an old(like it's owner) engine. Edited by mr E34

95 mill a month GST, that is 1,140 million a year on GST alone what would the tax take be then?. Surely if it all got spent on roading and not dumped in the main fund NZ would have a far better roading network.

Payed $2.05 a ltr for 98 in Rolleston about a week ago when I went to Dunedin.

Edited by allan

Well that may reduce the number of people driving - less congestion. Sweet as long as I can still afford to pay for my petrol.

Can someone explain why Petrol went up 8 cents and diesel went up 18 cents? Isn't diesel less refined?

Everyone should just get a pay rise, then it wont be such a problem. We just have to catch up to fuel and food prices here in NZ.

Thats exactly why im loving my 50cc scooter and MTB combo.

Its great...

F*&k that even big bikes get over 50 mpg

One of the builders at ours says he can get his down to 7ks per litre...

Well just filled my car up for the first time in ages yesterday.......won't be doing that again for a while! $135.00 for a full tank of 98, this is just crazy, i wonder if one of the Government parties will suggest a fuel discount for more votes there way?

Well just filled my car up for the first time in ages yesterday.......won't be doing that again for a while! $135.00 for a full tank of 98, this is just crazy, i wonder if one of the Government parties will suggest a fuel discount for more votes there way?

Burning money, literally. I noticed yesterday that Pak n Save is giving out '10c off' fuel vouchers if you spend $100. Might need to plan the groceries better - but they don't have 98 there.

Currently paying $1.35 for 91 in aussie, Going to be a shock when I come back to this in may :(

Currently paying $1.35 for 91 in aussie, Going to be a shock when I come back to this in may :(

Nice for some.

It'll be $2.00 a litre for 91 here by then

Nice for some.

Downside is I drive this beast while im here LOL, Cant really make the most of cheap petrol with a 1.6 Getz

post-2185-1208730874_thumb.jpg

post-2185-1208730888_thumb.jpg

Edited by braeden.

Downside is I drive this beast while im here LOL, Cant really make the most of cheap petrol with a 1.6 Getz

What a machine haha.

Haha, how does it compare to the 323?

Edited by Yuen

You are lucky its the 1.6 "big block"