Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

+1 For auto helmets, before I had one I once spent the day tacking stuff together so was shutting my eyes the whole time, went home with sunburnt eyelids, not cool at all.

Man it will be awesome when I get into our rental shed then! Power bill is covered in the rent :P $64? Damn you haha im gonna try talk them down a bit Alex lol!

I still have yet to had arc eye I actually plan on never getting it haha :P but seriously I dont find the normal weldings at all too bad.. lol Mike why were you tacking with your eyes shut? hahaha :lol:

was easier than flipping the shade up and down all the time, didnt really think about it at the time

Guest FrantiC

i used to full on weld with no helmet, really badly. hated the whole flip screen bit it sucked made me weld bad cos my hand would move while I was putting it down and I would miss lol.

but yeah after having arc eyes TWICE I thought better to use one lol.. Waking up at 1am in the morning and not being able to open your eyes while they are burning like someones got hot sand in them is FTMFL!

Lol my mate got it arc welding while locking the diff in my skid lada.. His GF told me he woke up at midnight screaming and crying he couldn't open his eyes and they were burning. Fail!

Edited by FrantiC

I know a few who've had ARC eye, I haven't personally and don't intend to, but I've had some burns, one time I got a nasty freak splatter from my weld which bounced up landing on my head and of course I wasn't wearing a helmet.

An interesting experiment dude is to get someone to weld something in your house and go outside and watch your power meter spin, it goes faster than your car will :D

Lol yea ive had a few splatters fall on my head when i was welding my van exhaust last year Alex.

Anyway back on topic, Thursday and Friday night I was setting up my RX7 injectors and RRFPR and came across this extra fuel return line as labelled "Im not sure?" :P

Posted Image

As you can see in the picture there is the fuel feed which goes to the fuel filter, the fuel return which comes from the fuel rail and last of all the unknown extra fuel pipe which also trails back to the fuel tank. Now this is all from factory when it was a simple 318i. From memory im sure there was most likely a charcoal cannister with a hose going to that unknown fuel pipe, pretty sure the charcoal cannister mysteriously went walkies one night on a test drive mission upon the completion of the M50 conversion haha!

Anyone able to shed me some light please?

p.s excuse the pile of grinder rust :rolleyes: my engine bay needs serious attention as does the whole car at some stage haha!

Luke

Edited by Boost Junky

might be air breather pipe form top of the tank to a carbon canistor mounted in the engine bay

might be air breather pipe form top of the tank to a carbon canistor mounted in the engine bay

Cheers Brent! Thats what Jamez explained it as also so thats that. Jamez said to put a small filter on it or is it safe to block it off?

Guest FrantiC

If you put a filter on it, Put the filter right up where it comes out of the tank (so no dust gets into the tank). You don't really want fuel vapour in your engine bay do ya?

If you put a filter on it, Put the filter right up where it comes out of the tank (so no dust gets into the tank). You don't really want fuel vapour in your engine bay do ya?

Yea that makes sense John. I dont really want fuel vapor anywhere lol.. Ive never known a fuel tank to have a breather on them :wacko: Ive had a few cars where they build up a vacuum and you hear that vacuum release when you remove the fuel cap?

Guest FrantiC

Yea that makes sense John. I dont really want fuel vapor anywhere lol.. Ive never known a fuel tank to have a breather on them :wacko: Ive had a few cars where they build up a vacuum and you hear that vacuum release when you remove the fuel cap?

It's meant to be there to relieve pressure and use the evaporated fuel to go into the engine via that canister and valve, so upon engine braking the fuel vapour is burnt. Most probably an emissions thing. Filter works fine though.

tbh, mine just hangs in the engine bay lol. where the hose was cut.

So I got busy again on the weekend, just about had enough to be honnest lol! Saturday I decided to attack my oil leak problem good and proper. At first I was just going to remove the valve cover and check the two front bolts that hold the front of the head to the block in the timing cover area... They were loose out of their threads! :o

My father recomended me to pull the head off and clean the head gasket off in case alot of oil had got in and around the MLS gasket, so what turned into a quick fix ended up me with my motor in half again. Me and my young apprentice got a bottle of meths and rags out and cleaned each layer of the MLS and both the hea and block serfices.

With the parts all cleaned up again I Used the 3 Bond Grey Silicon RTV and layered it around the timing chain area on the block, dropped the headgasket on and then applied it to the head and bolted her all back up. So far looking good I have not seen a spot of oil :D

In this photo you can see in red where the oil leak was coming from and the light wet look trailing down the front timing cover evidence of a slow but worrying oil leak...

Posted Image

With the Rugby on and a pub calling my name I decided to give the work a break till the morning :P Sunday morning I somehow managed too pull myself out of bed and make more progress. Time to finalize my exhaust system with some fancy heat wrap skills, didnt realise how much time it would consume. I wrapped my exhaust manifold and exhaust downpipe.

Now the trick here was to keep it wet, this keeps the wrap tight and bound to the steel until your ready to tie it on and it gives it a tight bond finish once its dry also. I used small CV Boot clips for the exhaust manifold and Large CVB clips on the downpipe to tie the wrap on. I found this was the most in-expensive, tidiest and tightest way to tie the wrap. Pictures as follows:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It took me a whole 10hours to wrap the manifold, downpipe and put it all back together. Getting a spanner and ratchet onto the 24 manifold stud bolts was not an easy task at all this took me atleast an hour. Half the problem was the downpipe being in the way and also the heat wrap making the manifold bulkier and harder to get at some stud nuts.

Now with the final front exhaust section finished from the manifold back to the downpipe I was able to add in all necessary gaskets. Still have no idea what it sounds like with the system all sealed yet as the car decided not to start last night at 10:30. I was one tired mess and more stressed than ever so decided to give it a rest for a few days. Im hoping the plugs have just fouled up, cant think of anything that I missed when I reassembled the motor.

Will have full shots of the exhaust system very soon I just need to finish the tip, paint the exhaust and a few support brackets

Cheers ;)

Sh!t son that wrapping is mint as!

Good stuff

ilike :D

well done! i had to wrap the race cars manifold and its only a rotary, took ages!! you have way more exhausts to wrap than i did!

Vruuuuuum PISH

Thanks guys! Yea Sammy its definitely time consuming im glad its done.. something id hate to have to re-do... even taking the manifold off is a timely process as it is lol

Your engine will be very efficient!....

At making crazy power hahaha

LOL Henry! You know the buzz im on right now... I just took her for a drive round the block as I figured out the issue with why she wouldnt start, the spark plugs were fouled miserably so cleaned them up and put my spare coil packs in and she runs like a dream.

I got to the 2nd to last corner from my house and thought I might just put my foot down slightly and see what she sounds like, 1st gear I hit about 2psi so and changed to 2nd... put my foot down slightly and hit about 5psi and the wastegate opened and hissed something evil! Ladies and gentleman the M50 Turbo project has just hit BOOST! :D

Even though its not quite finished or tuned, you wouldnt believe the buzz im on right now for even getting this far! Im stoaked! BUZZ BUZZ BUZZ Hahah :lol:

Hopefully get a video tommorow!

Watch this space!

What a rush!!!! I can understand, every corner is a rush for me. Good luck with the tune, play it safe (ish ;) )

that would be such an awesome feeling! makes all that time effort and frustration worth it. cant wait for the first drive of my car!

Congrats dude, boosted e30's are pretty damn fun, even a midly boosted m50 will be freakin mental

Cheers Henry.. yea I hope the tuner doesnt go too crazy as ive heard of him poping a few motors from max power tunes. Yea its a great feeling Sammy! Haha damn im getting more and more impatient now Mike that was just teasing taking it for a trip round the block. I hope it is freakin mental though :D