Sign in to follow this  
Boost Junky

Boost Junky: 2nd Saga - M50-T Project

As I was saying on MSN.. Another 1000RPM will see you into some massive power numbers. Look at the BEAUTIFUL torque curve just begging for another 1000rpm to sit flat across.

Dreams do become reality. :)

Heres some pic teasers that i took, before the vid arrives!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Awesome. Definitely looks like 300kW is a possibility at 6500rpm

Haha for sure Ecko Complex! What power is ur M3 making again?

Thanks for the commets guys! Im so stoaked aye even though Ive only got a base tune making this power is exciting, didnt sleep much at all last night haha... Yea Cam and that was real rich Ross my tuner said so when he starts to bring back the fuel and play with the timing that will also help her get some higher numbers also yes?

Heres the video youve all been waiting for, unfortunately my mate didnt video the 261kw run but thats ok. Best part of vid is 3:07 onwards

enjoy...

Edited by Boost Junky

sounds like its craving the extra 1000 revs, nice

Definitely Jamez! Cant wait to see what hes tuned in the next few days. Ill try upload a HD video tommorow

Definitely Jamez! Cant wait to see what hes tuned in the next few days. Ill try upload a HD video tommorow

Use this video converter. you have to really use a preset like mpeg4 then punch in some manual settings but the encoder it uses is the best around (ffmpeg). It understands everything to everything.

This is the windows gui for it called WinFF

http://winff.org/html_new/

I pull my 1280x720p 30fps 16:9.MOV h264 vids down to 640x360 30fps MPEG4 16:9 1000kbps. Leaves them nice and small for upload and youtube converts them a ton faster.

Oh thanks Hybrid. Im using MOVAVI at the moment which is pretty good but will definitely give that ago.

I thought I would have a play with your Dyno plot & overlay it onto mine (given same capacity, bore & stroke).

They are a bit rough as I'm not much of a photoshop wizz and stretching & scaling to match...

Quite interesting to see where the differences are I thought.

I know you are still in the early days of tuning, so this may even be of some use!?!?!

Parts I found fascinating:

@3000rpm the stock 1JZ has full torque ~400Nm Vs the M50 @ 240Nm

@3000rpm the stock 1JZ has ~120Kw Vs the M50 @ ~80Kw

In the real world for my E30 this means monstrous 4th gear +100kph roll-ons (ie overtaking)

And of more use is 3rd gear pulling out of the hairpin at Manfield.

The 1JZ makes full boost (stock 12psi) by 3000rpm, looks like the GT35R is closer to 4500rpm??

Obviously the stock 1JZ twins run-out of puff ~5500rpm = gheyness!!

I would have expected the M50 to be making more TQ & HP in the 2000-3000rpm range based on it being an NA engine with higher compression than the 1JZ (8.5:1), but in saying that, I think the 1JZ may have ~4lbs of boost @2000rpm so would likely make up for that!?!?!

Will be interesting to see what the Holset I have does to the curves, somewhere in between I'd say.

Posted Image

Edited by E30-323ti

I think you'll find the Holset is similar to the GT35R, but that the more aggressive cams on the M50 (its got NA cams rather than something designed by the factory for a turbo) will give the M50 more top end.

Luke might get an earlier spool as the tuner plays with ignition timing.

It will be very interesting. I like big ass dyno plots a lot.

Edited by CamB

I think you'll find the Holset is similar to the GT35R, but that the more aggressive cams on the M50 (its got NA cams rather than something designed by the factory for a turbo) will give the M50 more top end.

Hopefully not!?!?! with the HX35 having smaller wheels both ends & a twin scroll turbine hsg / manifold, but time will tell...

Luke, What A/R t-hsg. are you running 0.84?? Have you got the boost log/graph?? What are you using for boost control??

I think Luke's boost threshold will move down with tuning (at a guess). I thought the Holset and GT35R had almost exactly the same size/trim exhaust wheel?

Your twin scroll manifold will help, it seems, by a further approx 500rpm based on me reading the entire internet.

Haha thats awesome E30-323ti! Interesting to see the comparison. Whats your name btw haha? Always have to call you by your user name :P

Very interesting indeed. Yea early days of tuning yet and dont really know what to expect once shes tidied up a bit. I do know that it was really rich on those runs in the video and on the dyno graph.

Thats what gets me is how crap the torque is she makes. Like my mates 1jz turbo made roughly 1900nm of max torque at around 18psi. And yes yours makes more torque at 3000rpm than mine does in total. Surely somethings wrong here, maybe because we only have the rev limit at 6000rpm on my motor?

Yea it seems that cause my turbo is lagier and kicks in later that you make more power at 3000rpm. Is your graph with the factory twin turbo setup dude? Yea thats awesome the torque on your setup be good for racing! Which is more important than power.

Yea roughly 4500rpm she makes full boost which i think is high correct? But yea thats the beauty of the bigger single turbo setup it will support right up through the rev ranges.

Yea that would be much expected to have that kind of torque at 2000-3000rpm but my motor is now decompressed from 10.5:1 down to roughly 8.5:1 i believe the MLS 0.140 makes it. Yea maybe because your boost is coming on earlier its making more torque down low? Thats probably where the smaller twin turbos make their mark?

Im really keen to see the difference between your final tune and my final tune with your holset bolted on cause I really have no idea where the M50 boosted stands compared to the likes of 1JZ 2JZ and RB25s.

So Cam there should be more power to make up past 6000rpm if he lifts that rev limit up aye? How much difference should I expect with teh igntion timing played with and the AFR ratio brought back down to 14.5:1?

I like them too be much better if I knew how to read them lol and no I dont have the boost.

Ohh its a GT3540R with the 0.70 A/R Compressor side and the exhaust side is i think 0.63. I would like to get a copy of the boost graph aye I'll get one of the final run aye? Im running a turbosmart Pro Gate 50mm.. it hardly even needs to work aye you hardly hear it open etc...

I think Luke's boost threshold will move down with tuning (at a guess). I thought the Holset and GT35R had almost exactly the same size/trim exhaust wheel?

Your twin scroll manifold will help, it seems, by a further approx 500rpm based on me reading the entire internet.

What is boost threshold cam?

What is boost threshold cam?

It is the RPM you start seeing boost pressure.

Name's Glenn BTW.

4500rpm is really high esp. if you're running a 0.63 t-hsg!!

What about boost control?? EBC?? or Manual?? or via the Link?

I have a couple of other graphs from RB25's one running a GT3076R (aka GT30) the other a GT3582R (aka 3540) both with 0.84 t-hsg's.

Both are quite similar to your graph with poor low-end torque.

Yeah, my graphs are on the stock twins.

They do have their place but you loose out on topend flow, even on a stock-ish setup.

It is still pretty savage when it comes on boost, I can only imagine what yours is going to feel like!!

Best start saving for some wide sticky tyres for those 10" rims!!!

You can only do so many skids before getting bored!!

I'm surprised the HG drops the CR so much, is there a chance the cam timing is out also?? What have you done with the VANOS control?? That could be affecting the low-end torque?

The GT3540 should flow more than enough to keep the graph climbing at much the same rate.

I wouldn't be surprised to see 300kw using the full rev range, might need a touch more boost maybe.

Keep us posted on how the tuning comes along!!

Try and get some more meat under those curves!!

Edited by E30-323ti

Ahh as I thought, thanks Glenn lol

Yea 4500rpm is not the best especially with only another 1500rpm to go in this instance and only another 2500rpm when it limits at 7000.

Its running the electronic controller that came with the Link so via the link with the 6psi spring installed.

That doesnt suprise me on the 25det with the GT30 as they have the least amount of flow across the range of RB, JZ and M50 motors. And both with such big exhaust housings will be the main contributor. But your right with such a small exhaust housing for the size of my turbo its strange how its so laggy, maybe the manifold flow and design?

Haha yea im just dying to get behind the wheel but at the same time scared lol never driven something this powerful yet. Yea skids get boring after a while im going to atleast attend one drift track day but thats about it they are really harsh on your car and expensive. The rest of the time will be doing car club and track race events.

Yea the headgasket is something like 3.556mm which is damn thick! Hence lots of people have major issues with getting them to seal prooperly. There is like a 3.0mm thick shim then 2 gaskets one side and 3 the other side of the shim. Not sure how far out the cam timing coul be? This can only be corrected by pulling the rocker cover back off aye?

This is the Non Vanos motor, vanos is to problematic for me to bother with and I knew I was going turbo so made sure I bought the NV motor.

Yea I think shes still got plenty off puff left in here shes good for upto 650hp I think? Hopefully make 300kw ;)

Yup ill definitely let you guys know whats going on or any changes!!!

This is awesome, you must be stoked! congrats man, cant wait to see final power run and some skids etc haha

this is a beast...

i was just watching your " skid mission " vid ahaha good shiz and keep safe

Dang, that is thick!! Sounds like an almost sketchy setup...

Were you not tempted to keep the stock CR & run less boost? A nice option to have up your sleeve anyway!

0.84 is a common size to use on GT3*R's on 2.5l 6cyls

Have seen 1JZ's running 1.06's even (drag cars rev'ing to +8k with big cams though)

Just be V.careful when you do take it for a spin!!

I recall scaring the begeezaz out of myself most times I pull the E30 out of hibernation.