Sign in to follow this  
Butterfly

braided brake hoses

i was just replacing my brake pads on the front of my e34 when i noticed the hose was spit on the one side

i thought to myself what a good excuse to get some braded ones made up :rolleyes: i went to see the guys at poirua brake and clutch. I spoke to a guy called keith who said he would make them up for me and that they come certed so no hasstles on getting a cert once fitted. I got them for a tidy sum of $70.00 a side i thought it was a good price and they made a real nice job. Anyone thinking of upgrading to braided hoses in the wellington area go see keith top job.

il get some pics up soon

$70! Wow thats a really good price mate. And they are certed too? Most lines cost 4X that amount.

just wondering what are the advantages of braided lines?

Under pressure, the rubber brake hoses can expand. Using steel braiding on the hoses stops (or minimises anyway) the hoses expanding under pressure. The end result is all of the pressure is put into the brakes (not wasted on expanding the hoses) and there is better feel in the pedal.

Oh, and they look sh*t hot.... B)

You need to in new zealand have certified lines marked with a yellow sleeve.

You can expect a tighter and more direct feel to pedal response. pre cert'ed ones from race brakes etc your looking about 300-600 a set depending on length and fitting type.

You need to in new zealand have certified lines marked with a yellow sleeve.

Can't you use DOT approved lines? I had these on my ZX7R and there was never any queries at warrant time. Admittedly, they did have DOT Approved marked on them, but there wasn't a yellow sleeve for NZ certification.

Was I just lucky?

you were just lucky .. :)

Hmmm - they were on the bike when I got it. I know DOT approved lighting is (or was) permitted in NZ and assumed other DOT approvals (tyres, brakes etc) were as well...

Still, it did brake like nothing else I have come across short of a Porsche GT3 race car. :)

oh for sure... its a bit stupid that its a certed item.. however there was a problem a while back with people doing some pretty rangi jobs on braided lines. its more around the fittings used and the way the fittings are attached to the hoses.

We are infact lucky these are allowed on the road at all .. It use to be you had to pay $420 just for a low volume cert and a few stories of people having to remove their lines to proove they had been contructed correctly and from the right materials. Over the past 3 years or so they allowed certain specailist brake houses to pre cert the lines and sell them.

here are mine on my e30.

Posted Image

here is another thread on it too.

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....=15298&st=0

Turners has braided line sets for only US $99 LINK

would pay to check the law on certification, i think that they are fine though.

Turners has braided line sets for only US $99 LINK

would pay to check the law on certification, i think that they are fine though.

that would turnout to be an expensive excersize ... $99 + $420 low volume cert ;) however .. it might work out cheaper if you were doing a whole brake upgrade / suspension upgrade and were going to get the car cert'ed anyways.

Just go to race brakes or Alert engineering for $300 odd for pre cert'ed ones like in my photo above.

If it's for an E30 By'Gone Autos have some precerted for less than $300? ish?

Hi Guys a bit late with this.

I put braided lines on my M3, then was told by another BMW club member that they were illegal, rang Wellington

spoke to the guy writing up the regs, this was 2 weeks before they became legal.

He said

As long as the brake lines are crimped and have a coating over the outside of the stainless steel for protection.

You don't need them certed.

Just out of interest I rang Autopassion (Christchurch) and spoke with Basil, he quoted $289.00 for a set for my M3 thats 6 hoses.

Compares well with the USA prices of approx $ 125 + $ 70 shipping