Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Painting the v8 in the e30

What to do with the engine?   

16 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey Guys/Girls,

Planning on doing a bit of detailing on the engine, Now since this photo Ive tidied up the wiring alot and things are looking alot better now but im also wanting to powder coat the intake manifold,intake pipe, airbox, Valve covers etc.

Added an example of a 1uz painted with Ferrari red crinkle and silver intake manifold

Now I'm thinking i want the air-box, intake pipe, intake manifold all silver so it looks nice and clean

The Valve covers in crinkle Ferrari red to give it a slight race look but not look tacky.

Or all Crinkle Silver

Thoughts? suggestions?

Cheers :)

post-204-1210636105_thumb.jpg

post-204-1210638536_thumb.jpg

Edited by Riley

Hey Guys/Girls,

Planning on doing a bit of detailing on the engine, Now since this photo Ive tidied up the wiring alot and things are looking alot better now but im also wanting to powder coat the intake manifold,intake pipe, airbox, Valve covers etc.

Now I'm thinking i want the air-box, intake pipe, intake manifold all silver so it looks nice and clean

The Valve covers in crinkle Ferrari red to give it a slight race look but not look tacky.

Or all Crinkle Silver

Thoughts? suggestions?

Cheers :)

Get all the brackets and bolts re-anodised. Silver for the brackets, gold for the bolts & nuts. Rocker covers and manifold in Mercedes Grey. Done it before & looks nice.

BTW. Glad the tacho's up & working :D

Guest Simon*

Go the red Riley - looks better than I expected

Red must be the new black that white's the new new black now

Get all the brackets and bolts re-anodised. Silver for the brackets, gold for the bolts & nuts. Rocker covers and manifold in Mercedes Grey. Done it before & looks nice.

BTW. Glad the tacho's up & working :D

Any idea on the expense for re-anodising Glen? sounds like a great idea

Yes I'm kind of swaying towards the gray now to :) looks soooo clean and factory.

Cheers again Glen, so much better with the tach working

like Glenn said re-anodising the brackets and bolts makes a huge difference, I really like the look of gold/bronze nuts & fasteners.

although its a toyota engine i think you should try to keep it bmw themed therefore i would paint the rocker covers in crinkle black with the ribs polished aluminium. Paint the intake manifold silver (aluminium) and all the other covers and the fuel rails in the mercedes grey. or gloss black for the fuel rails

Posted Image

See how good the gold & silver anodised brackets and nuts look on this S14

Posted Image

electroplating all bolts / nuts etc and crinkle finishing the rocker cover in matt crinkle red or black. make sure its heat proof and make sure the cover is stripped with 0 contaminants, else youll be doing it again in 6 months.

Problem with red matt is it only takes one spec of oil to screw the finish (I know I had this on my old toyota) Black hides and accidental oil splats it may get. other way is HPC coatings ...

this is a demo of stripped electroplated bolts and power coated finish Hi-tek had done

Posted Image

I went for classic black crinkle finish, all raised lettering/ribs natural Aluminum (filed off black), all cam cover bolts etc left chrome/silver as stock.

post-1048-1210666033_thumb.jpgpost-1048-1210666091_thumb.jpgpost-1048-1210666142_thumb.jpg

i like the black and silver look , my self

post-279-1210676072_thumb.jpg

dark purple crinkle

i like the black and silver look , my self

You'll have a lot more black in there soon Brent, if you dont change that oil filler cap :D

keeping in mind fellas its a lexus v8 not a bmw inline..

Right heres what im going for thanks to your guys help,

electroplating all bolts / nuts etc

crinkle finishing the rocker cover in matt crinkle red.

gold & silver anodised brackets

Intake/air box/manifold in Mercedes Grey

:) Sounds good to me

hey riley sounds as thou that would look sweet , my opinion is keep the intake tube an cai box polished itll give a we bit more bling factor and look good with the electroplating,

f**k that thing must haul ass

quick chop

post-2925-1210742007_thumb.jpg

Hey ive been trying to figure out how to photo chop colours onto the pic of my engine, do you think you could have a quick go? or anyone else :) that would be awesome

Hello, that will look really good. I have photo shop so will give it a go this weekend.

I am doing this as well. I have the engine stripped back and are just finishing the cleaning down process ready for painting. This is what i am doing,

- Gloss black block

- Silver manifold to match air in take which has been cleaned and still looks great so no need to paint.

- rocker cover to colour match the new paint job.

- gloss black brakets around block, silver around head.

- and some brand new parts too.

I was just going to buy new bolts and nuts so how much is it to get them electroplated? Where would you get this and anodise done in Christchurch? I might look into it.

What is crinkle finish by the way?

Cheers.

Edited by tcbaurpower