Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

North Island Meet??

Hey guys, its a while away (Christmas or new years)

But ive been thinking, what are every ones thoughts on a North Island meet, see how many bimmasporters we can get in one area, say Middle of the country ish taupo. Since its going to be hollidays and all.

Just thought that it might be a blast if it did go off

Cheers

Jono

Good idea, try and beat the Auck ANZAC meet.

Could make a huge convoy down from Auckland.

We should so do a Coromandel cruise. Do Coromandel peninsula loop.

I would be keen for that!! :D

Yeh, do a Hahei cruise then I dont have to drive far, lol. Petrol prices are over the top at hahei, christmas just gone it was $1.95/L for regular.

Yeh, do a Hahei cruise then I dont have to drive far, lol. Petrol prices are over the top at hahei, christmas just gone it was $1.95/L for regular.

yeah, wanted to see how many we could get, want it to be huge, video cameras and every thing, Convoys from wellington, convoys from auckland, wont set a date yet, but more feed back would give an idea on whether itll happen or not.

probably would be good to have a meet in taupo. maybe a bbq and beers (no drunk drivers ofcourse) and then a mystery cruize, could almost have a 2 day event or some thing

i think it would be something wicked to start 09 off with

what else could we include ??

haha spott prizes, ?

look at simons post in the last welly meeting thread(mystery 2?)

look at simons post in the last welly meeting thread(mystery 2?)

good to see that some one else thinks taupo is a nice half way mark

If Taupo was going to be the central meeting point, would it make sense to book the track also?.

This is assuming it would be more than a 1 day meet ( as 4 hours each way in one day is pretty excessive in my opinion)

yeah, that being the idea, would be good to have a 2 maybe even 3 day event, and new years would be a good time i think for it, long enough away for people to set aside some time, would be mean having mass numbers of bmws at the track,

yeah, that being the idea, would be good to have a 2 maybe even 3 day event, and new years would be a good time i think for it, long enough away for people to set aside some time, would be mean having mass numbers of bmws at the track,

You would'nt get into Taupo at New years, would be busy as f**k. You would also have to check when the track is booked months pryor to the event.

Would be good if it all worked out.

cool, leave it for a bit

no doubt we could get the track booked, since its a while away

but would be good to have a area to meet semi half way, turangi might be an idea

What does every one think about whakapapa ?

that wouldbe a good place to meet, some awsome shots with the cars in up there too i reakon

Hey man, cool to see some enthusiasm from newer members to organise meets (they are quite a bit of work to organise). So not meaning to put you off, but that's great.

I'm going to give you a bit of advice from what we've found over the years to save you some agony.

You need to sit down and plan it all first. Organise for yourself what would be a good date, route, meeting places and times, venues, acomodation, activities, etc.

Then you need to just lay it out for everyone in a thread with everything already confirmed.

You will never please everyone, but if you put the effort in and think it through and organise it properly, (Like the ANZAC meet), then people will show up and it'll be a success.

The reason why there aren't as many meets as there used to be is mainly because those of us who organised them have done it 2 or 3 times now and have too many other commitments to do it again.

Like I said - it's a fair bit of work, but worth it if you do it right.

good luck. Do a good job and I'll be there.

a lot of people will already have prior commitments at xmas/new years.We are not all free agents.

October november,feb march are your best bet IMHO.

a lot of people will already have prior commitments at xmas/new years.We are not all free agents.

October november,feb march are your best bet IMHO.

Yes

Festive season is not the ideal time to have a meet because too many people are otherwise occupied with family, friends or other holiday plans of theirs.

Hiring Taupo Racetrack as good of an idea as it sounds - is very difficult and very expensive to actually do. Good luck.

The idea of a central North Island 'Mega Meet' is great, we missed doing one this summer just been and it would be rude to not do it again this summer.

November / February would be the ideal times, hey and if the BMW race series is on at taupo again in february then it could co-incide with that and not having hired the track at least people could watch some bmw racing at taupo.

Yeah anyway ... Like Bravo has said it is important to set all the details, i understand this thread is just for ideas and suggestions so thats cool keep it going. 325_driver you can get in contact with me nearer to the time (but not too near) if you want help to plan it out.

Wicked, thanks for that info, February, sounds like an ideal date to set, might be good to organise a bimmasport newyears meet in new years any way, for all the people that wont be busy, and wanna have a bit of a cruize to celebrate 09.

Thanks heaps for that info, its what i was trying to find out, the best dates for a mega meet, that could go with a track day.

Thanks for the feed back guys, getting me more on track to what i know.

What about a new years convoy from auckland and wellington (and surrounding areas) to meet at whakapapa (ruapehu) for a new years meet, combine it with a mystery cruize, coramandel loop ? the following day.

Thoughts?

By the way, what was the numbers for the anzac meet

By the way, what was the numbers for the anzac meet

Good on ya for being proactive about this.

ANZAC meet was ~26 cars I think.

We just had SNZ's (Silvia Club) 2nd Mega Meet in Taupo. First one was in Wellington. This year it was a 4 day event. Stayed in the Top 10 Holliday park which I must say was perfect for the event. Safe parking. 2x 32" LCD TV's in the cabins. Cheap.

We also hired Taupo track number 2 for a combined drift and grip day. We had around 60 members staying all weekend. Then on the final day which was the track day we had another 20 or so come.

But the difference between bimmersport and SNZ is that SNZ's members are all around the same age. Bimmersport has a much broader range of people. Could prove hard to organise events.

We just had SNZ's (Silvia Club) 2nd Mega Meet in Taupo. First one was in Wellington. This year it was a 4 day event. Stayed in the Top 10 Holliday park which I must say was perfect for the event. Safe parking. 2x 32" LCD TV's in the cabins. Cheap.

We also hired Taupo track number 2 for a combined drift and grip day. We had around 60 members staying all weekend. Then on the final day which was the track day we had another 20 or so come.

But the difference between bimmersport and SNZ is that SNZ's members are all around the same age. Bimmersport has a much broader range of people. Could prove hard to organise events.

Cheers for all the feed back, yeah i wasnt expecting this to be easy, but just trying to see what the best plan of action is for this, so that the mega meet, is actually a mega meet, probably 2-3 days event would be awsome with track time, but im expecting to run into troubles because of the wide variety of people and occupations on bimmasport, but im sure with decent planning that can be bypassed

Cheers on the awsome feedback!

Guest Simon*

Dude! Saw you guys starting to assemble in Taupo on the sunday morning after the BMW driver training. 60 cars? That's a lot of drifting ;)

Dude! Saw you guys starting to assemble in Taupo on the sunday morning after the BMW driver training. 60 cars? That's a lot of drifting ;)

is there hope for us equalling that ?

? imagine that

bmw madness

Taupo track is not all that difficult to hire.

When you factor in the amount of gas it will cost people to do a 4 hour return trip plus food and accomodation, an extra $150 for Track 1 is not too hard for individuals in my opinion.

If I can still get Track 1 for $4500 for the full day ( weekday that is ) then 30 of us at $150 per head is good going ( even cheaper if we get more people )

Does anyone on Bimmersport or the BMWCC have a good relationship with Taupo Race Track and might could possibly get a better hire price?

November or February would be good as it's not conflicting with holidays and the weather is fairly reliable, plus it gives us a good 5 + months to get it all sorted and for the uni students to save their pennys :)

http://www.tauporacetrack.co.nz/circuit_map.cfm

We should definiatly look into Hampton Downs for the future http://www.hamptondowns.com/

I have friends in the international racing industry thanks to dad, i think febuary would be ideal,

so watch this space, still heaps more home work to do, but sounds like a 2-3 day mega meet event with track day in february sounds like what im looking at.

Any hope on exceeding the 50 people mark?

what numbers do you reakon would be unrealistic,

if the anzac meet was in the 20's would 50 be unrealistic ?

Select a date and run a poll then you will see the approx. numbers