Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

I found this interesting

A customer has just bought a 2005 M5. It uses oil. Spoke to BMW and they tell me this is correct ??

An acceptable oil consumption is between 1-1.5 litres for every 1,000km travelled.

I'd be really pissed off if mine did. A luxury, sports, european vehicle costing sh*t loads of money that burns oil at that rate ?? They top up the oil for free while they are under warranty or if they are on a BMW service plan.

A customer has just bought a 2005 M5. It uses oil. Spoke to BMW and they tell me this is correct ??

An acceptable oil consumption is between 1-1.5 litres for every 1,000km travelled.

I'd be really pissed off if mine did. A luxury, sports, european vehicle costing sh*t loads of money that burns oil at that rate ?? They top up the oil for free while they are under warranty or if they are on a BMW service plan.

i have heard that e 39 M5(s62) do this too,some do some dont,the special 10w60 is supposed to be better,and there is also some talk that piston rings were improved/changed at some point

While on holiday last year I bought a BMW magazine of some description (not sure which one), but they had some long term road tests of a few models.

Two of the ones they had (a slightly earlier M5, and an older 840ci I think from memory) both used a lot of oil, and in both cases BMW responded by saying the same as what you posted Glenn, that they find it acceptable to use 1l per 1,000km's. In both of these was there was no mechanical fault that was causing the consumption.

Cheers

Grant

Did they give a reason why it does it? There must be a good reason you would hope...

Wonder if it will burn more later in its life when the k's get up :wacko:

You could run out of oil pretty damn quick at that rate!!

BMW just said it was normal for all late model M series vehicles. Not a fault, they just sacrifice oil.

Total BMW's buying guide to the E60 M5 (or was it the E39) mentioned that the bigger M cars use oil. Didn't say why though! <_<

Total BMW's buying guide to the E60 M5 (or was it the E39) mentioned that the bigger M cars use oil. Didn't say why though! <_<

If you read the M5 forum that I posted, you will get a fair idea as to why.

Yes interesting reading, people seem to have mixed results but the key seems to be run it in properly

I was told this was normal on GenIII Holden V8s as well, whether on a GM or BM, I'd not be happy at that rate.

A BMW that changes its own oil! 1L/1000km, 5L capacity = no oil after 5000km = service time. B)

In a similar vein when we bought our two new v6 four-stoke Yamaha 150's for the CG boat the dealer told us not to top the oil up during running-in, and to take note of the level after running in. Apparently the motors find their own level and topping up over this amount simply burns the oil away. Sure enough the oil dropped to about 5mm below the top mark on the dipstick on Starboard and not at all on Port and never moves from there.

i have heard that e 39 M5(s62) do this too,some do some dont,the special 10w60 is supposed to be better,and there is also some talk that piston rings were improved/changed at some point

That's what I read too, earlier E39 M5s I think, later ones didn't? And I don't remember them using 1L per 1000km, that's heaps!

I was being facetious.

Its basically Castrol RS 10W60, but with BMW stamped on it.

They hold 10 litres Graham @ $20.oo a litre +GST

It's only money, burn it in fuel or oil! :wacko:

Maybe the newer M engines use oil to protect the special (or light) alloys etc in use today?

That's what I read too, earlier E39 M5s I think, later ones didn't? And I don't remember them using 1L per 1000km, that's heaps!

not always some earlier ones dont and some later ones still do

Quoting form the BMW factory information for the 2002 M5, available in TIS (Technical Information System):

In this path

Documents - SI Operating fluids - 11 Engine (S62)

Look at list of documents for "SBS E39 11 Engine (S62)"

Refer to service bulletin "SBS 110796138 Construction group 11", last updated 10/2007

Read page 12.0 "Measuring oil consumption" thoroughly

Read point 14

Quoted from point 14:

"For BMW spark-igniton and diesel engines, the maximum permissable engine oil consumption is 0.7L/1000km"

Glenn, I'd suggest you print this service bulletin and wave it in the face of your local authorised BMW dealer :-)

I can send you a copy of the bulletin if you like.

Edited by jochen

Its basically Castrol RS 10W60, but with BMW stamped on it.

No, Castrol RS 10W60 is NOT on the list of approved engine oils for use in the S62 engine.

Read the service bulletin.

10W60 is NOT approved for use in the S62 engines.

It is for other engines, but NOT for the S62.

Refer to the list of approved oils published by BMW. Read the Service Bulletin. It's all there.

The list of approved Longlife-01 oils for the S62 shows the following viscosities:

0W30

0W40

5W30

5W40

Always refer to the facts.

We use 5W40 full synthetic

BMW NZ say up to 1.5 litres per 1,000 km... and say it is acceptable

We use 5W40 full synthetic

BMW NZ say up to 1.5 litres per 1,000 km... and say it is acceptable

Interesting - I wonder why they contradict the service bulletins published by the factory?

1.5L/1000km is twice what the factory advises is acceptable...??

Reading the TIS is sooo much fun... I highly recommend it. Full of useful info.

so this is quite interesting. Now, I have always been told that if a vehicle burns a 'little' (can't define that) bit of oil it's not a problem. There are of course environment and cost issues here. But in saying this, can anyone ACTUALLY tell me what is the problem with a vehicle consuming a 'little' - remember not going to define that value - oil?

Just to put another perspective into this discussion.