Sign in to follow this  
matwithe30

nz police course

hey guys, now i know some of you dislike the nz police, but i just have a few questions....

has anybody ever been one? or atleast completed the training course?

im trying to join in october intake, but just need some advice.

if your gunna be nasty, dont even obother leaving a comment

a welly b/s member is in the college right now he may message you back.

No advice for you, only encouragement.

Good luck. The country needs as many good cops as it can get.

I've seen a copy of the initial screening exam, and trained with a mate who was training to pass the physical.

If you are reasonably fit and know how to read and add and subtract, then the initial tests are simple. It's once you are accepted into the training course that it starts to get tougher. My mate changed his mind, so I don't know what the training course is like.

I've seen a copy of the initial screening exam, and trained with a mate who was training to pass the physical.

If you are reasonably fit and know how to read and add and subtract, then the initial tests are simple. It's once you are accepted into the training course that it starts to get tougher. My mate changed his mind, so I don't know what the training course is like.

im pretty fit, i run 5 km twice a day, 50 push ups and 50 sit ups, just trying to make it into this thing. i know i dont have to do this, but if for some reason i dont feel 100% on the day, ive got good training to fall back on. the part i find hard is the swiming...i can swim fine, but not fast

and as for the reading and maths, im ok, will have to see what else im up against. it kind of sucks when your 17 year old brother is on 40k in the army...

and im on less...and i finished school

hey guys, now i know some of you dislike the nz police, but i just have a few questions....

Go for it ... you have my support :D

there are lots of abstract and logic puzzles in the initial exam so make sure you practice heaps of those - the kind that says what comes next if that makes any sense (you know black square black circle white square ... what comes next?)

You also don't get a lot of time to do the initial exam and they mix up the questions so that there are some easy ones towards the end of the exam, the trick is to go through and try them, if you don't get it immediately go to the next and then come back to it. A good mate of mine found this out the hard way and failed his first go because he ran out of time.

The fitness is pretty important too, your local recruiter should be able to give you the time that you need to run, how many push ups you need to achieve etc. A big thing they look at is attitude - they like you to do as many push ups and sit ups as you can rather than just the minimum needed to qualify.

The actual college is all about study, my mate had little time to do anything else.

Hope that helps and gives you a few pointers - my mate reckons it was the best thing he has done!

mates a cop. loves it, he wasnt the smartest in school but he was fine.

Ive got a mate who went in on the June intake he seemed to think it wasn't to difficult and is lovin it

good luck fella sure to be an interesting job

Go Hard Man.

My Uncle is in the Hamilton CIB and he loves it.

Have you had a ticket in the last 12months? You need 12months ticket free I beleive to apply.

im pretty fit, i run 5 km twice a day, 50 push ups and 50 sit ups, just trying to make it into this thing. i know i dont have to do this, but if for some reason i dont feel 100% on the day, ive got good training to fall back on. the part i find hard is the swiming...i can swim fine, but not fast

and as for the reading and maths, im ok, will have to see what else im up against. it kind of sucks when your 17 year old brother is on 40k in the army...

and im on less...and i finished school

I was an officer in the navy. Now the military tests are easier than the police one. I was thinking about going to the police and passed all the tests to start and got accepted into the college but I bought a bussiness instead.

But the written tests and stuff are a piece of piss to pass. for the personality test just be honest and answer in the context of what your job is going to be, ie. a police officer.

the fitness test is just a grip test, easy. then is 30 pres ups and a run of 2.4km in 10 mins 54 seconds.

for swimming all I can say is it is pretty straight forward but just go and practice. you need to float for 5 minutes. to me its not the easiest thing. If there is anything else just PM me I know what the whole thing is all about.

Just out of interest how old r u?

I was an officer in the navy. Now the military tests are easier than the police one. I was thinking about going to the police and passed all the tests to start and got accepted into the college but I bought a bussiness instead.

But the written tests and stuff are a piece of piss to pass. for the personality test just be honest and answer in the context of what your job is going to be, ie. a police officer.

the fitness test is just a grip test, easy. then is 30 pres ups and a run of 2.4km in 10 mins 54 seconds.

for swimming all I can say is it is pretty straight forward but just go and practice. you need to float for 5 minutes. to me its not the easiest thing. If there is anything else just PM me I know what the whole thing is all about.

Just out of interest how old r u?

in october i will be 21...so sitll a young'un

Go Hard Man.

My Uncle is in the Hamilton CIB and he loves it.

Have you had a ticket in the last 12months? You need 12months ticket free I beleive to apply.

that rolls by in just over a month, so thats when i can formally aplly haha

May I ask what your motivation is for joining the force?

May I ask what your motivation is for joining the force?

well at the moment, i work at a desk job and hate not having the variety in a day. i used to work for a builder and didnt like the outdoors. so basically i needed the happy medium.

secondly, compared to most jobs out there, you start on a healthy wage, and move up.

thirdly, i want to get into dog handling

so those are pretty much my main reasons.

also the ability to help people. and to prove that to car people that all police are not twats. like i at one time did believe

Good on you!! It can be a really rewarding career, but can also be pretty tough as well depending on what you are dealing with at the time. I have family in the force and I think the shift work is the worst part (apart from dealing with the scum of society every day at work...).

Not sure about the entrance tests, but I know the period at training college is pretty full on. It is a very sad indictment on our society that the Police seem to get the shitty end of the stick more often than not recently - sometimes deservedly I admit. The more sensible coppers on the street the better as far as I am concerned.

Good luck with the entrance exams.

mate, you dont have to be 21 to apply, im only 21 myself. i say if your heart is in it do it.

the only pre requisit is that you have less than 50 demerrit points, no criminal conictions, no driving related charges, b a nz resident and be over 18 and have a real passion to do it.

if thats you your all good to go!

Good luck.

We need good cops, and they need the support of the general public.

There have been a few ratbags spoiling the reputation, but it is a few.

As a group of people who enjoy BMW's we sometimes err on the wrong side of the speed limit, and if we get caught, thats our fault.

well at the moment, i work at a desk job and hate not having the variety in a day. i used to work for a builder and didnt like the outdoors. so basically i needed the happy medium.

secondly, compared to most jobs out there, you start on a healthy wage, and move up.

thirdly, i want to get into dog handling

so those are pretty much my main reasons.

also the ability to help people. and to prove that to car people that all police are not twats. like i at one time did believe

Looks like you have given it a lot of thought. Good work.

Go hard dude! :) as others have said you have our support!

cheers for all your support guys, i will keep you all updated as to how i go!