Sign in to follow this  
silvermace

How do you drive yours?

I know of several young drivers that have been caught out in the wet with e30's, you get used to them though. single spinners are a pain as they mostly just spin the inner wheel but every so often the whole rear end will let go.

Just back from Ruapehu, did around 100-110kph there and an easy 80-100kph back. Used 15L less petrol on the way home. Both times no traffic, same load, same road. Was shocked myself

thats a hell of a difference over that distance. I haven't done the aux to ruapheu in a while but how much would the elevation changes affect things? - with wellington to the mountains theres a few steady climbs that eat the gas, obviously can cruise down them on the way back down.

as for how I drive the thing- lets just say I didn't exactly go turbo for better economy.

Edited by Mike

as for how I drive the thing- lets just say I didn't exactly go turbo for better economy.

Exactly, why buy a thirsty car with some balls if you're not going to use it, that's my point of view.

I think that's a lot harder to do than suggested...and would come under the "stupid" category. In Cam's M3 Evo you would struggle to unstick the rear - probably a fistful of lock and WOT needed. I would consider that a stupid thing to do in the wet.

Not exactly a AW11.

It's courteous. Or do you mean cautious? Either way, good on you. Far too many overly aggressive drivers out there.

Cautious driving pays off. Literally.

Just back from Ruapehu, did around 100-110kph there and an easy 80-100kph back. Used 15L less petrol on the way home. Both times no traffic, same load, same road. Was shocked myself

its mostly uphill on the way there,and mostly downhill on the way back

I ... wish the traction control was a bit more advanced because it just cuts throttle.

Really?

ABS/ASC variants

All E46 models are equipped as standard with ABS/ASC. DSC III, known from E38/39, is available as an optional extra on the 2.8 l model. Systems from ITT INDUSTRIES (formerly Teves) are used on the E46.

The following systems are installed together with the individual types of engines:

• 4-cylinder (M43) models: ABS/ASC-EZA system (brake and engine intervention without throttle control)
  • 4-cylinder M47 models: ABS/ASC with brake intervention and fuel volume control
  • 6-cylinder M52 models: ABS/ASC-EZA system (brake and engine intervention with throttle control)
Description of DSC III control

The DSC III control unit monitors the vehicle stability on the basis of sensor signals. If the vehicle reaches its dynamic driving limits, the control unit decides whether ABS control, ASC control or DSC control with or without brake intervention at the front and/or rear axle is to take place.

Stabilizing intervention is implemented if the control unit determines vehicle instability from the variables steering wheel angle, wheel speed, transverse acceleration and yaw rate.

DSC control intervention may be in the form of:

- Engine intervention or

- Engine intervention with brake intervention or

- Brake intervention

During DSC control, intervention in the engine management only takes place if the vehicle is understeered. Normal braking is therefore possible.

If brake intervention is implemented during DSC control, the procedure is basically similar to that of ASC. However, with the DSC system, brake intervention can take place both at the wheels of the rear or front axle. Only one wheel of the corresponding axle is always braked.

The engine torque can be varied with the following interventions:

- Reduction of air mass drawn in

- Ignition timing retarded

- Cylinder blank-out

Control unit

The electronic control unit corresponds to the AASC Mk20EI with regard to its basic design and functions.

In addition to the ABS/ASC control functions, it undertakes the corresponding DSC functions. In order to implement DSC control, the control unit additionally evaluates the following sensor signals:

- Yaw velocity through yaw rate sensor

- Transverse acceleration through transverse acceleration sensor

- Steering wheel angle through steering wheel angle sensor

The two brake pressure sensors and the brake fluid level switch supply further signals which are used during a control procedure.

The control unit communicates via the CAN bus with the DME with regard to engine intervention, the AGS, steering wheel angle sensor and the instrument cluster.

Edited by jochen

*snip*

hey, that's cool, I didn't know all that about my DSC unit, I thought that it cut throttle and applied brakes to bring the tyres back down into static friction, but a bit silly of me to assume that's all that was going on, because application of force in 1 wheel, can be more useful for regaining traction for the other 3 wheels, and If I know that I'm sure those clever nutters at Bosch thought about it :P

The torque variance by cylinder blank-out and ignition retard is clever, I guess its more reliable than a "clever" mechanical diff would be.

also, the 3rd scheme, limit mass air draw.. would the VANOS system be exploited for this??

Edited by Silvermace

The comments above are about E36 M3's. <_<

Yeah, my comment was specific to an M3, although I'd assume any E36 on good tyres would be the same. The M3 would need excessive entry speed for the conditions, too much lock and waaaaaay too much throttle to get seriously sideways.

The 2002 on the other hand, with old race tyres, is borderline dangerous in the wet.

No comment.

hahaha

in the old E30 i drove it hard everywhere. With the 540 i just amble around at the speed limit, it's nice and comfortable and i try not to use too much gas. On the open road however, I open her up.

Drive the race car at redline the whole time, as fast as I can. Racing is kind of like that. :P

its mostly uphill on the way there,and mostly downhill on the way back

Ah that would explain it. Damn...thought my driving like a nana had paid off :(

E39 don't like hills.

Drive slow to save fuel.Even if it means driving way under the speed limit.

Mine love hills the same as they like gas when they're on hills

If you gotta drive under the limit to save fuel best to buy one of those little grey-hair people mover boxes-on-wheels

Most of my driving is around town - go its go with the flow......

Just quietly though ;) out of town its farrkin quick in sport mode ;)

depends greatly on how empty the road is and who is in the car, empty road+ empty car =fun times

however full road or daughter in car =granny mode all the way.

I reckon the way you drive depends on the quality of your car. I deliver pizzas in my s**tbox old 89 corona and the interior, seat comfort and general quality of it disgust me. So i want to spend as little time in it as possible, hence my excessive speed (in safe conditions) and general abuse towards that poor little 2000cc motor.

Whenever I get the rare opportunity to drive one of my parents cars ('01 323i or dad's territory) they are comparatively so much more comfortable and im happy to sit there at 50km/h because its a pleasant place to be inside them.

so yeah, i drive mine with no respect.

Simple : The faster you go the quicker you get there

The slower you go the bigger the stress

Foot to the floor, shifting at redline, stand on the brakes, EVERY CORNER AS FAST AS POSSIBLE. In the 2002.

In the M3 I drive almost always within the law.

Times 2, except replace M3 with E39

E30 being manual drive fairly quick most of the time. E34 & E32's casual around town but on the open road I just want slowly accelerate and cruise at speeds its built to do

E39 don't like hills.

Drive slow to save fuel.Even if it means driving way under the speed limit.

Well said!

Haha unless you have a little black e30 driving up your ass pushing you up gradually to 180km on the Auckland Southern Motorway... <_<

Redline all the time!!

It's true.. i seen him!

I did notice after a few decent trips that going around corners in these bimmer things is way different to my old Toyota. On trip to Tauranga I cut 15min off my usual time – no speeding, no hard driving.

It’s not how fast you go, its how quickly you get there – in safety and comfort… but in saying that, I also have less and less of that "wooshing" sound as cars go flying past me either LOL

so when the rain stops and the roads dry you slow down?

just got to love the morons responsible for that bit of advertising

Given the price of petrol - I drive sedately and enjoy the laid back ride of the 740, with Pink Floyd / Faithless or similar playing loud.

Then I think bugger it, put it in 1st, floor it at the lights and watch everything dissapear out the back window - then I drive nice and sedately again.

If I want a sporty drive I take my wifes SLK up the Rimutaka Hill in D2/D3 with the top down - thats fun! It also a lot of fun to take the 740 up the Rimutaka Hill, surprising how fast it is, and all without breaking the speed limit so therefore all very legal, and if you beleive all the adverets, therefore totally safe :rolleyes: (I just love the Rimutaka Hill road!).