Sign in to follow this  
casualt

2000-2001 BMW 330CI expected value

This thread is depressing.... When I was looking for one I searched high and low and they were as rare as rocking horse sh*t - now they seem to be common as dirt (grrrrrrr). There is a nice red 325ci on Trademe and has been for sale for at least 12 months (the owner is a bit ambitious when it comes to his pricing - was wanting $29,990 12 months back and now $28,500) so they aren't always selling like hotcakes.

Seriously though - hold out for exactly what you want. Leather is much better than the leather/cloth combination found on a lot of imports. Also, the electric sports seats were pretty common on NZ models where the imports commonly don't have them - I find them much more comfortable.

As for the auto/manual thing - my 330ci is the first auto I have ever owned and I love it. I just got tired of changing gear all the time in Auckland traffic and this fits the bill for me. Sure you can still give it a toweling when you want to, but for everyday use it seems to be better. I like to listen to the revs in a manual to pick my change points, but with the auto I can just crank the stereo up.... Get one with an in-dash CD and RDS if you can - they have more power than the cassette radios and the RDS version is a world mode stereo and can be reset to NZ frequencies (if you get an import).

As for the engine size, the only one I would stay away from is the 4cyl 318 - my old mk3 golf diesel would have eaten it alive.... I have driven the 1.8, 2.5, 2.8, and 3.0 litre engines and I think the 2.5 was actually my preference although they seem to be a bit thinner on the ground. The 3.0l is a very good motor and with 170kw under the lid it goes like sh*t off a shiny shovel. I'm not complaining :)

As for colour, I personally prefer non-metallics (Imola Red or Hell Rot are fantastic IMHO) - what you get is up to you. The paint work on these is the biggest let down for me - I expected better of BMW. I have had other german cars with much better paint than my beamer (and no, it isn't from a dodgy repair). They seem to leave some areas primed only which seems a bit odd to me (every one I looked at was the same).

Good luck - post some photos when you have purchased.

Thanks again for all the in depth feedback and advice, I also agree about the steptronic, manual is fantastic when driving on the limit but no fun sitting in auckland traffic moving at 5km/h. It really feels like it is the best compromise given my daily driving conditions. Again the leather would be great, and does add a real luxury feel to the car without a doubt. However not at all essential (for me) the car virtually has all the options i'm after in that it has, the carbon trim, sunroof (huge plus for me), is black :) is sitting at a perfect ride height (imo), has clear indicators, m3 style mirrors (bonus), electric seats, low kms's, flawless body and paint....

I don't agree about these being common though, is the only black 330ci for sale in the auckland region at least (that I know of). But yeah, I will be making a decision tomorrow about Peters car. So will keep you posted. Absolutely cannot still believe what 25-30k will get you these days. This really is a dream car for me, but am trying in earnest to not let that cloud my judgment.

Other quick question while im here, what do you think the potential resale value of something like the one im looking at be like in a years time?? There is a distinct possibility I may be heading overseas semi-permanently come winter next year and am interested to hear opinions on whether or not it will hold its value. Likely only put 7000kms max on it in that time period.

End.

Thanks again for all the in depth feedback and advice, I also agree about the steptronic, manual is fantastic when driving on the limit but no fun sitting in auckland traffic moving at 5km/h. It really feels like it is the best compromise given my daily driving conditions. Again the leather would be great, and does add a real luxury feel to the car without a doubt. However not at all essential (for me) the car virtually has all the options i'm after in that it has, the carbon trim, sunroof (huge plus for me), is black :) is sitting at a perfect ride height (imo), has clear indicators, m3 style mirrors (bonus), electric seats, low kms's, flawless body and paint....

I don't agree about these being common though, is the only black 330ci for sale in the auckland region at least (that I know of). But yeah, I will be making a decision tomorrow about Peters car. So will keep you posted. Absolutely cannot still believe what 25-30k will get you these days. This really is a dream car for me, but am trying in earnest to not let that cloud my judgment.

Other quick question while im here, what do you think the potential resale value of something like the one im looking at be like in a years time?? There is a distinct possibility I may be heading overseas semi-permanently come winter next year and am interested to hear opinions on whether or not it will hold its value. Likely only put 7000kms max on it in that time period.

End.

i wouldnt bank on it have good resale,but who knows.the new restrictions on imports might make car values rise slightly but who knows what the economy/fuel situation will be like.

End.

NZ New will have better resale. The market is currently flooded with imports

Hmmm disagree again with the manual vs auto thing, Proved this on Taupo earlier this year as I could just shift faster and more stable in the auto, I could keep my foot down and get through the corners faster than a manual equivalant 330i driver. However .. you will have more fun in a manual. If you drive in town / motorway slog get an auto. If you think youll be driving open road or twisties more .. get a manual.

Hogwash!

The only reason I could stay with you on the road (before you got that fancy new suspension bastid) was because I was manual.

Sooo much better to drive than a slush box.

My wife can drive a manual 328 through Auck traffic everyday so can you!

Resale on these cars in 12 months is dependant on the Japan auction price at the time. From my experience of importing about 12+ Japan cars over the last few years, that black one I showed in Japan which sold for $NZ24,500 with 32km, would sell for around $25k in a years time privately with say 45km on the clock.

Don't forget that Black has a $3 to 4k premium over silver in Japan at auctions but not sure if that is the case in NZ yards. A silver example of the above would be cheaper.

I would prefer manual in most cases. But why, if it is so much better, do so few people order manuals from the factory?

The reason so many are auto is demographic, the people that purchase them new are over the hill and can’t be arsed swapping cogs manually and will most likely never out drive the auto. Also its supply, nearly all Japanese imports are auto and nearly all the ones for sale are Japanese.

If you’re not into driving and use the car mainly for commuting the slush box is fine.

I would strongly sagest driving both before purchasing though.

Resale on these cars in 12 months is dependant on the Japan auction price at the time. From my experience of importing about 12+ Japan cars over the last few years, that black one I showed in Japan which sold for $NZ24,500 with 32km, would sell for around $25k in a years time privately with say 45km on the clock.

Don't forget that Black has a $3 to 4k premium over silver in Japan at auctions but not sure if that is the case in NZ yards. A silver example of the above would be cheaper.

Interesting. Silver is much easier to keep clean looking… I had to set up a wholesale account at Meguiars with my last black car!!

Hey bro, welcome to Bimmersport.

20-45k.. A high km Auto Crapanese import could be had for under 20.

I'm taking offence to your reference to Japanese imports Apex, if it weren't for Jap imports most of the members here would not be able to afford their beemers including the NZ new ones.

The reason so many are auto is demographic, the people that purchase them new are over the hill and can’t be arsed swapping cogs manually and will most likely never out drive the auto. Also its supply, nearly all Japanese imports are auto and nearly all the ones for sale are Japanese.

If you’re not into driving and use the car mainly for commuting the slush box is fine.

I would strongly sagest driving both before purchasing though.

Interesting. Silver is much easier to keep clean looking… I had to set up a wholesale account at Meguiars with my last black car!!

apparently NZ has one of the highest uptakes of autos....I like the sound of VW dsg(borg warner actually?),or a proper sequential box .I am probably over the hill,but i wont have an auto in my garage.EVER

I would prefer manual in most cases. But why, if it is so much better, do so few people order manuals from the factory?

Another reason for people buying autos is car salesperson propaganda - endlessly going on about how "you'll never sell a manual second hand, people want auto..". Would make a good Tui ad.

Casualt, by the looks of the car you have there it looks like a goodie. One of our forum sponsors in vouching for the owners charater so a good ++ there. The only thing left to do if your keen on it and kept in mind the that you dont want leather and MF Steering, is to get the BMW dealership "pre purchase inspection" booked in and done. Sould cost you around $130 and as said before will give you everything you need to know about what you getting into.

keep us posted! :)

I can do a pre-purchase for you Casualt if your in Auckland...$100 for BS members

Cheers

Glenn

That seating is cloth not suede. you will understand when you get into a leather car what I mean about difference.

Isn't the material covering the bolsters Alcantara (better than suede)? And the centres are cloth as you say.

Looks like it's NZ New too? Nice one.

Casualt the black E46 looks very nice, airbox is worth a bit since it's a Gruppe M one.

I skimmed through the auto vs manual debate, seems it's really a subjective thing and having driven a Steptronic I say if you're not a hardcore enthusiast you might want auto, if you're going to be stuck in traffic jams on a regular basis the Steptronic is probably better... or you could always get a manual weekend car. That said I remember some threads from awhile back from Josh which several other members replied to, talking about the auto gearbox having issues. Does that not apply to this E46 guys?

I would also ask in your report to have the MAF checked .. as over oiling from those after market air filters can damage the Mass airflow sensor.

That said I remember some threads from awhile back from Josh which several other members replied to, talking about the auto gearbox having issues. Does that not apply to this E46 guys?

That is more around a sensor issue which I will be investigating in the spring when the problem comes back due to temprature :)

One fault that cannot be sorted because it is a software issue which BMW has not, and will not sort out is:

When driving into a corner or down hill in drive, if you touch the brake pedal more than once, it will change down a gear. Some people dont like this feature, but BMW wont fix it.

Interesting. It wouldn’t cost you anymore in gas and would save your breaks if you were coasting, makes sense doesn’t it??

One fault that cannot be sorted because it is a software issue which BMW has not, and will not sort out is:

When driving into a corner or down hill in drive, if you touch the brake pedal more than once, it will change down a gear. Some people dont like this feature, but BMW wont fix it.

ahaa thats explains the reaction i got when i had penrys tourer,my first few hundred metres is downhill

this is why I switch to step tronic and control hill descents myself. Im not a fan of sitting on the brakes as its the prime cause of traffic shanting in moderate to heavy traffic.

Has anyone done any fuel consumption comparisons between the manual and the step-tronic?

May have the manual as cheaper through traffic?

Hey there.

Just wanted to say that I just purchased a new spec 2002 NZ 330i for just $9750 ($9400 if you include the work the guy did before i took it), and that was from a dealer. It has 186k on the clock but FSH and full leather, etc. It is not the best kept car but got it checked out and there is hardly any engine wear and gearbox flies through the gears without you knowing it was changing. I do though suggest you watch the heating systems. The engine pushes the heating systems to the limits and they are the weakest link.

I would suggest waiting for a good deal to come out. For just $20k (not the $30 or $40k mentioned) you can easily get a 2003 car, especially now with the market so quiet. Took me about 6 months but they are there. All up I spent just $2.5k to do what was required.

I would suggest taking the car to BM Workshop as my experience with some of the dealers has not been the best (and my 330 has a FSH from a dealer and they did a crap job looking after it). I found that BM Workshop really did the job.

Well... Thought id give you all a quick update at where i'm at. Was incredibly close to purchasing the 330 that i initially posted about, but was forced to withdraw today due to the fact that i'm off to beijing for work early next month and being that im a contractor im not entirely sure where i'll be at financially until i return. And being that it was pretty much the first I had seen, probably won't hurt to shop around a little... Basically looking to purchase on return. Will be scouring the internet while im away, so if you could let me know if you see any black 330ci m sport coupes in manual (yes have also been somewhat swayed in this department, but in saying that the step is a very good compromise and probably the best implementation of an AUTO trans that I have experienced). Later year the better, actually like the grey alacantra trim on the seats, but not gonna say no to leather, MF steering wheel, no wood grain anywhere to be seen etc.. Will consider anything up to 30k...

Sounds like a good plan, They may even be cheaper when you get back!

Are you heading to bejing with the olympics?