Sign in to follow this  
OLLIE

Car won't chnage out of 4th gear

E34 540iA

Adaptive transmission with sports mode.

on the motorway on ramp today in sports mode i decided to put my foot down to accelerate up to 100km/h or thereabouts, once i was cruising i put it back in Adaptive mode. However I could not get it to change up to 5th gear, i was stuck in 4th doing 4,000 RPM at 100km/h. Not ideal!

So determined for my car to change up to top gear i put my foot down again and as I hit 5,500 RPM and approx 140km/h (in my driveway) it changed gear. OK cool hopefully this won't happen again.

But it did, and after i had stopped and turned the ignition off etc... it will only change up to 5th gear at 5,500 RPM, which is always going to be 30km over the speed limit, not ideal!

Help?

We had the same problem in our Commodore tow car.

Turned out a 'valve body' or something crapped out, so instead of changing to 4th at 2,500rpm changed at 5,000 (5,500rpm red line!)

Was about $700 to get the 'valve body' replaced.

Hopefully it's just something easy to fix! Transmission problems are never fun!

Edited by Eddy

Is the changing of gear any harsher than normal?

as I hit 5,500 RPM and approx 140km/h (in my driveway) it changed gear.

Jayeeeezus!! How long is your driveway??? I can't get out of second down mine.... :P

Same thing happened in my mums 4wd.Mechanic recomended flushing the trans and putting new oil in and it fixed it.

Dont know if it will be the same.

Is the changing of gear any harsher than normal?

no the change is still the same, smooth.

the trans has just been serviced so i doubt changing the oil will fix it.

any other ideas? i am going to disconnect the battery over night to see if the adaptive trans resets? see if that works.

the trans has just been serviced so i doubt changing the oil will fix it.

Coincidence.....

Coincidence.....

by just been serviced, i mean a couple of months ago

Not the same thing, but a friend of mine (Ven on this forum) his e30 has the sports mode trans and I have no idea how similar if at all these are to yours, but his was doing similar sort of things, it turned out to be a ground to the Automatic controller (computer) was loose, and when it was disconected the trans error light would show and exhibit very similar symptoms, and when the wire would contact it would run fine,

Just a possibility?

edit: Typo's.

Edited by QuickSilver

Saw somewhere in the forum a post about something like this

Put foot hard down on accelerator and turn key on to acc then turn off - or something like that.

In sports mode 5th gear does not select unless you hit the rev limiter. Are you sure the sports select switch is switching ?? It may be physicaly moving, but not switching. Call in and I'll check it, will need to scan live data and fault memory.

BTW Dave..we changed the oil & filter and used the correct oil for this trans.

Give me a call Ollie. Disconnecting the battery or doing a battery reset probably wont do anything

Edited by botanymotorworx

yes sometimes those sports switches fail , normally due to COKE been spilled into them

BTW Dave..we changed the oil & filter and used the correct oil for this trans.

wouldn't have suggested it if I knew it was you who did it Glenn.... ;)

Good point about the sport switch failing... you'll know if it has cos the engine should run about 500rpm higher while cruising than when in economy mode.

I'm having trans issues at the moment with mine too! Good luck with it mate!

Edited by gannetboy

Good point about the sport switch failing... you'll know if it has cos the engine should run about 500rpm higher while cruising than when in economy mode.

I'm having trans issues at the moment with mine too! Good luck with it mate!

If you're having problems dude i'd recommend getting it seen to, you don't want it to completely f**k out, the amount of unserviced trans i've replaced is just crazy, all going for the great sum of around 15g each

the amount of unserviced trans i've replaced is just crazy, all going for the great sum of around 15g each

Yeah someone needs to teach those frenchies how to build a descent box, and how to calculate the cost of a new Trans. :P

Ya not wrong there.

Had similar problem with 535. Was the sports/manual switch. Got stuck on highway in sports mode. Next morning I pulled switch out, did manditory wiggle and hard thump, shook the crap out of it and it worked fine after that.

Had similar problem with 535. Was the sports/manual switch. Got stuck on highway in sports mode. Next morning I pulled switch out, did manditory wiggle and hard thump, shook the crap out of it and it worked fine after that.

it does seem like the car is stuck in sports mode, however on the dash it switches between S and A and normally the car resets to Adaptive after it is turned off