Sign in to follow this  
Creaver

Smoking

Do you smoke?  

87 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Thought i'd spark up a bit of a debate about smoking. We all know it's bad for us, yet heaps of people still do it.

Do you smoke and why/why not?

Personally, no I don't smoke and I think it's a dirty habit. What are your reasons?

Please keep it clean guys.

Edited by Creaver

Quit 5 or so years ago, cold turkey, best thing I ever did, means I can race my E30.Posted Image Save $80 or so a week in smokes, and another $150 a month on insurance premiums, about $6000 a year, worth doing. Smoked for 30 odd years before then tho.

I guess the best bit is getting up in the mornings and not coughing and spitting till the first ones been puffed on.

Dirty filthy habit, and yes, reformed smokers are the worst critics, I guess we're all a little jealous still. ;)

calling them bitches probably doesn't win any for you anyway Ryan ;)

I smoke.

I'd like to give up

But stress pwns me..

I see smoking's generally fine - everyone makes their own decisions, and if they are aware of the dangers they can make an informed choice.

However, smoking in the car is definite no-no. What can devalue your car more quickly than having a nice coating of tar all over the seats? I also cringe seeing parents smoking in cars with young kids - there is no need for that.

Oh and for the record, I don't smoke. Being brought up with all the anti-smoking crap at school and with Dad working in the health sector would make it unlikely i'd ever start either.

calling them bitches probably doesn't win any for you anyway Ryan ;)

You know im kidding, geez.

I agree, though smoking is soley up to the person doing it. If someone smokes I say how discusting it is to thier face and ask why they smoke, its like asking someone why they're fat.

Nothing makes me more mad when somone lights up a ciggy in your car though. The last owner of my car smoked, so Ive been cleaning everything to get rid of the smoke smell and get rid of smoke stains on stuff. Slowly getting there...

I see smoking's generally fine - everyone makes their own decisions, and if they are aware of the dangers they can make an informed choice.

Sorry Eddy, can't agree with this statement at all.

Since when do people make informed decisions about smoking?

When I started it was a peer thing, looking cool, felt good.

Now I listen to my wife's mother coughing and in continual pain, and dying from cancer, and probably won't see Xmas, and gotta say, smoking ain't fine. :angry:

Quit if you can, don't start if you haven't already.

Rant over.

Sorry Eddy, can't agree with this statement at all.

Since when do people make informed decisions about smoking?

When I started it was a peer thing, looking cool, felt good.

Now I listen to my wife's mother coughing and in continual pain, and dying from cancer, and probably won't see Xmas, and gotta say, smoking ain't fine. :angry:

Quit if you can, don't start if you haven't already.

Rant over.

Sorry, I should have mentioned make an informed choice if starting today as a young person - with all the stuff on TV, in mags and taught at school (my health class two years ago was basically an anti-harrassment/anti-smoking class). However, if one started say 40 years ago, then it is a complete different story. I had a Grandfather die from lung cancer caused by smoking, so I completly understand the suffering involved, and when he stared it was considered quite the 'norm' - with none of the 'warnings' etc teens get today; quite the uninformed choice as you state.

Edited by Eddy

Never have, never will smoke.

I have grown up around smokers and my Mum smokes and it is the most disgusting habit ever. I probably have the same effects from 2nd hand smoke as myself smoking. Sat in a waiting room after taking someone in for Chemotherapy while ago and it was the most eye-opening 1 hour of my life. Not very old men coughing and spluttering and spitting into jars, holes in peoples throats etc.- not cool

I get pissed off when smokers say they can't give up (I know it is prob hard to). But there is nothing you can do to stop them, try hiding there cigarettes and they go off the rails and threaten to kill. So much better things to spend your money on- who wants to pay to reduce their life span?

I have an Uncle whos a figure of health- 60 y.o. and had a hip replacement (not related but hey), has got prostate cancer, diabeties, weights in at <60kg and will die of lung cancer before he dies of cancer left untreated. Nearly made it into the National soccer team too if he focused.

Who saw the doco on the Tabacco companies in Africa getting kids as young as 8 into smoking?

I have an Uncle whos a figure of health- 60 y.o. and had a hip replacement (not related but hey), has got prostate cancer, diabeties, weights in at <60kg and will die of lung cancer before he dies of cancer left untreated. Nearly made it into the National soccer team too if he focused.

Can you repeat that please?

define a "smoker"? 2 or more per day?

define a "smoker"? 2 or more per day?

Um someone who smokes cigarettes, an anorexic is still an eater.

I work with cancer patients and see so many people (some reasonably young) whose smoking has given them terminal cancer (lung, larynx, pharnx, tounge, lip, oral cancer, bladder, oesophageal)

After seeing these cases I could never start smoking and hope like hell that noone close to me starts.

In saying this I believe that everyone does has a right to do as they wish to their own bodies.

For me one of the worst aspects is the health effects of second hand smoke. Second hand smoke does cause cancer and other health conditions (e.g. asthma attacks in kids). I always cringe when I see adults smoking around kids.

Dean

Edit: i tried really hard not to make this a rant or a lecture but it still seems that way sorry

Edited by deane30

Started when I was 16, gave up for good when I was 23 (3 years ago) after 2 false starts. I gave up because it wasn't cool anymore, and because I was trying to save some $. Ever since my health has been so much better - I get maybe one small cold a year rather than being stuck in bed for a week with the flu a couple of times a year.

When they banned smoking in bars I was against it even though I wasn't smoking at that stage, as I had worked in bars for much of my life and didn't really care. Tell you what though, since the law came in, I see the difference, and wouldn't go back for quits.

These days even the smell of ciggies puts me off.

I still enjoy a cigar once every year or 2 on special occaisions.

Im a PE and Health teacher, so we cover smoking in the drugs and alcohol module. Everyone know smoking can give you cancer, gives people around you cancer, makes your teeth and fingers yellow, but there is a lot of money at stake too.

I do one activity with my students showing what they could buy is they didnt smoke a pack a day, heres what you can get in...

1 year - 1992 Suzuki Bandit 250cc ($4380)

10 years - 1998 Porche Boxer ($43,800)

20 years - 2006 Holden Monaro ($87, 600)

40 years - 1976 Shelby Mustang GT500E ($175, 200)

As you can imagine, my students would rather be retired and rolling around in Eleanor, rather than rolling around with an oxygen bottle.

Ok, I'm not a fan of Holdens, or American muscle, so does that mean I should only give up for 10 years and take the Porsche? :D

Or retire with a new M3- thats a smart way to present it to kids Mr Miller.

Would look even more appealing with BMW examples :D

did you compound interest? or could that figure be much bigger?

Edited by Tomo

did the calculations- you could present that at a contribution of $4380 per annum, at 8% interest, they would have $1,225,440 after 40 years. even more appealing. thats like a ferrari and enough money to run it and buy tyres :lol:

Compound Interest Calculator

Edited by Tomo

Back on topic- im in the same position as Cale, never have and never will smoke. My uncle was in critical condition a year or so back- not able to breathe. Kind of necessary. Not the sort of problem you want ever, let alone 50.

I dont smoke never have never will. I also have a strict smoke a way from the house rule not just out the back door and everyone knows this by now. I have two young boys and dont what them to be affected. What annoys me is when you see a toddler in their buggy and they are surrounded by the family smoking, not just one person but three or more.

I have a mate that says he has been told not to stop smoking by a doctor because it reduces stress which then reduces his headaches, crazy what else reduces stress?

The amount of money gets me when you hear 'i dont have enough money', hmm dont smoke then. Can you feel sorry for that?

Edited by tcbaurpower