5. Mazda Lantis

6. Subaru Legacy turbo

7. Subaru Impreza non-turbo

8. Nissan Skyline

9. Subaru Legacy non-turbo

10. Honda Prelude

I'm safe... I drive a sedan. :D

haha who the hell would want a Mazda Lantis?? :wacko:

You have obviously never driven the southern suburbs of Auckland. :) I'm surprised bongo vans and Toyota Enima's

didn't make the list. I wonder what era 325 coupe is most commonly stolen.

any one driving a e 36 will be safe :P

+1

suprised evoz are not on there

The list is from claims made to the AA Insurance company, there are a number of high-performance vehicles they won't insure, which would probably include Evos, so they won't get any claims and not on the list. I know for a fact they won't touch Scooby Sti's.

My Legacy Turbo will be part of that list, I had that insured by the AA and a local drop-kick took it for a joy ride and got chased by the cops in it. Got a full agreed value pay out and got my excess back as I could give the name of the bloke who was arrested for stealing it, plus the car was found and we got all our stuff back out of it.

Thought it was funny when I got the insurance, went to the AA and told the woman what the car was I'd just bought and she said "oh, the insurace is quite high for those, it's $408 fully comp" at which I laughed and told her I was paying nearly $1000 third party on a seventeen year old diesel in the UK!

I can vouch for Subaru’s being popular to steel, have seen two GTB’s of friends and family disappear in less than 5 minutes off being parked, they must be a synch to nick off with.

As for EVO’s being stolen, as said they are hard to insure and 80% of the old one’s are probably not running as the meat heads that buy them are probably fitting some cool hybrid turbo and awesome screamer pipe and are onto a second rebuild due to excessive boost blowing them apart. Sorry stereotypical.

The Lantis Type R (130 kW and 190 Nm) is actually quite a quick little car. They came in sedan and hatch, the hatch version was the same as the NZ new Mazda Astina V6. They had a sweet little V6 and what had massive 16†wheels in the nineties.

Always had a soft spot for them.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

If anyone actually cares about their car they will have a decent alarm.. More fool you if your car gets pinched.

Edited by Apex

I'm guessing they are talking about an E46 there.

wouldnt think so...i dont think you can start them without the proper key

I'm guessing they are talking about an E46 there.

I would've thought E30 or E36 as they'd have more saleable parts? And probably easier to steal?

To be honest, I'm surprised the 325's right up there, it's not exactly desirable? For E36 and E46 shapes there are 328/330s? And E30's don't exactly get second looks compared to the Silvias and Skylines that have drift fan boys clamouring after them?

And why is the Honda Prelude on the list? :lol: H22a/H2B conversions must be in high demand :P

I can vouch for Subaru’s being popular to steel, have seen two GTB’s of friends and family disappear in less than 5 minutes off being parked, they must be a synch to nick off with.

When the guy at the recovery place showed me how they get in I was pretty amazed at how simple it was to open up a Scooby. It's all down to the pillar-less glass, tear off the plastic monsoon thing, pull the top of the window then reach down to grab the door handle with a coat-hanger or screw driver. Once you're in you can do what you want to the ignition lock and away you go. About 20 seconds tops.

Same is possibly true of the E36 coupe as they have the pillar-less glass so it would be simple to get in through the windows - not sure how good the steering locks are on E36s?

As for an alarm being the answer - don't you believe it. Most after-market alarms, even those with immobiliser circuits, are not that hard to get around.

Plus when was the last time anyone took a blind bit of notice of a car alarm going off? I have stood in a shopping centre car-park with a bag of tools at my feet, opening a car with the alarm going (it was a friend's car - honest!) and not one person came and asked me what I was doing - not even the centre security!

But then..... that's the UK for you :P !

I own a No.1 and No.3 and my No.2 was stolen. lol

Also a Nissan 200sx at No.4 is a Silvia. Just a NZ new one.

God I wish drifting had never taken off here. Frameless doors makes the Slivias easy pickings though.

When the guy at the recovery place showed me how they get in I was pretty amazed at how simple it was to open up a Scooby. It's all down to the pillar-less glass, tear off the plastic monsoon thing, pull the top of the window then reach down to grab the door handle with a coat-hanger or screw driver. Once you're in you can do what you want to the ignition lock and away you go. About 20 seconds tops.

Same is possibly true of the E36 coupe as they have the pillar-less glass so it would be simple to get in through the windows - not sure how good the steering locks are on E36s?

As for an alarm being the answer - don't you believe it. Most after-market alarms, even those with immobiliser circuits, are not that hard to get around.

Not true. It Depends on what kind of alarm and immobiliser you have, and how well it is installed. You would need a truck to steal my wagon.. or given you were an auto electrician and you had the right tools and experience you could probably pull out the brain and re wire it in half an hour or so.. but you’d have to find the brain first. And then there’s the second immobiliser to find which is stand alone.

I heard the same thing about pillar less cars, pull the window and hotwire. Bob’s your aunty

PM me if anyone wants a 4 or 5 star install.

Out of curiosity. how easy/possible is it to get around the EWS system?

Dunno why I'm worried - I have a sedan (LOL) and its an M3 not a 325i (double LOL).

I had No. 6 for 9 years.

The day I went car shopping for a new car and decided to keep it for another 6 months, it was stolen.

Alarm, immobiliser, club lock, lock wheel nuts.

Prised open the bonnet, disabled/removed alarm siren, punched open the door lock found brain and removed, punched out the ignition.

I heard it go at 1 in the morning, thought, "Wow, sounds excactly like my car" and went back to sleep.

Apparently (allegedly) they use a battery jig saw, cut open the bonnet in the right place, hook up their makeshift ecu to fire the car and piss off, stripped same day.

Palazzo, that would suck!

Friends Laurel got stolen by simply getting towed away... by his own rear seat belts.. wtf. Theives are too smart/stupid.

Hate car theives.

On that note...as both a BMW and a Legacy owner, are there any alarms out there that would be worth fitting to give me a fighting chance?

On that note...as both a BMW and a Legacy owner, are there any alarms out there that would be worth fitting to give me a fighting chance?

A well installed

Dynatron D7600/7800 (4 & 5 stars, also without and with battery backup siren respectively)

Edit: typo

Edited by my_e36

A well installed

Dynatron D7600/7800 (4 & 5 stars, also without and with battery backup siren respectively)

Edit: typo

I've been considering getting a dynatron 3600/3800. It says in the description the difference is a proximity transponder. What is a proximity transponder?