Sign in to follow this  
*Glenn*

This is interesting

Interesting. The film looked early 80's/early 90's, what happened with this idea?

I had it sent to me from a friend in America.. dont know how old it is, but it is interesting technoligy

An interesting idea Glenn. The ease of access in and out of the vehicle is very clear to see. Any idea on how the safety aspect would be maintained with the removal of the pillar, side impact etc. Also how complex the whole system is?

Cheers Allan

Interesting. The film looked early 80's/early 90's, what happened with this idea?

It did look incredibly 90's, but the credits at the end of the video said "Copyright 2007". Odd.

Perhaps this idea could go in to production... however what would this style of door compromise structural integrity? No b pillar and I'm assuming the doors are made of a flexible material to roll under the car like that... would they stand up to a significant impact in the event of a crash?

An interesting idea Glenn. The ease of access in and out of the vehicle is very clear to see. Any idea on how the safety aspect would be maintained with the removal of the pillar, side impact etc. Also how complex the whole system is?

Cheers Allan

God knows...as Creaver suggested the film looked old... but then most American cars fall into that category as far as design goes

Love the line "in no way detracts from the appearance of the car"... Couldn't really IMO - they were pretty ugly old canoes in the first place.

Seriously though, it is a good example of a great idea that hasn't been commercially accepted as yet. I am picking that it is so different that it has problems with meeting crash and vehicle certification regulations in its immediate form on the video. That and no manufacturer is willing to stake their name on a $ billion vehicle development without solid public acceptance and sales projections.

Good on them for thinking outside the box.

women in short skirts wont buy this kinda car door-the same reason why suicide doors are not popular

I've seen that before somewhere.

I don't think the doors are flexible (where would the glass go?) - they just slide under the car.

Certainly something different and less showy than scissor doors.

Also, if designed right, they potentially could be manual - ie not electric. Roll down window, pull handle - spring pushes door out from car, then a slight push down to overcome another spring/strut and it would dissappear. Downside would be bending down to haul it back up.

Edited by bravo