Sign in to follow this  
Huttey

Car Stolen

Team can you keep a look out for a Silver 1999 540 (debadged) registration number is "606". The car was stolen yesterday afternoon from The Terrace in Wellington.

I'm puzzled how they get around the door being double locked and engine being immobilised.

Hope you see it somewhere.

Regards Pete

Sorry to hear that man, will keep an eye out up this way ... I would put money on it being stockcar season and they want the motor ...

That sux, Sorry to hear Pete. Will keep an eye out.

Was this done in the afternoon and in daylight? Was it parked on the road?

That sux, Sorry to hear Pete. Will keep an eye out.

Was this done in the afternoon and in daylight? Was it parked on the road?

Early afternoon just up from the James Cook outside Radio New Zealand, I thought it may have been towed because of roadworks nearby but the tow companies deny all knowledge.

That really sucks, sorry to hear Pete, I hope it turns up soon. Was it the stock BMW security system?

Whatever the jap builds come with, no alarm but double locking and immobilser. Must have had a key or no some tick to bypass the double locking other you have to climb through the window.

Wow, sorry to hear that.

Hope you get it back fine and soon. If its in AKL I've got my baseball bat and I will deliver it back to you personally.

Hi sorry to hear about your car, it was probably lifted away that how they do it, i work for vtnz so will look out for change of ownership or plate changes for you

Edited by Graham m5

Hi sorry to hear about your car, it was probably lifted away that how they do it, i work for vtnz so will look out for change of ownership or plate changes for you

Thanks most appreciated, details are:

Registration "606"

VIN long WBADN620X0GF10026

Type code DN62

Type 540I (EUR)

Dev. series E39 ()

Line 5

Body type LIM

Steering RL

Door count 4

Engine M62/TU

Cubical capacity 4.40

Power 210

Transmision HECK

Gearbox AUT

Colour TITANSILBER METALLIC (354)

Upholstery STANDARDLEDER/SCHWARZ (N6SW)

Prod. date 1998-09-02

I'll keep an eye out mate. Best of luck, there are rather a lot of cars like yours around.

Sorry to hear that man, will keep an eye out up this way ... I would put money on it being stockcar season and they want the motor ...

Thats a bit harsh Josh.I'm not aware of any stockies running beema v8s(yet).And you know we're all honest as ;)

Will keep an eye out in HB.

Hay Man

Sorry to Hear that your car is gone, and really sorry to say that its prob already in bits or getting there

Ill ask around a few people i know in welly and let you know if anyone has it or seen it...

and given the fact that someone i know can take my bmw when its double locked and imobilised in about 30secs

it would of prob been at least a semi pro that did it in broad daylight

Hope it does show up, keep a eye at pick a part and the wrekers round welly

Good News, car has turned up, it was about 1/2 a kilometre up the Terrace from where it was parked, nothing taken and no one (council, towing companies) owning up to moving it. A mystery but good to have it back.

Thanks for all the kind words and offers to keep an eye out for it, maybe it's time to get an alarm.

Sure you weren't drunk and forgot where it was parked? We have all done that.

Glad you got it back though mate.

Twas the wife, talking to the cops I am not alone, there have been 2 other cases like mine on the Terrace, they think it is workers doing the roadworks getting the cars moved but no one is owning up. A mystery it is.

Good News, car has turned up, it was about 1/2 a kilometre up the Terrace from where it was parked, nothing taken and no one (council, towing companies) owning up to moving it. A mystery but good to have it back.

Thanks for all the kind words and offers to keep an eye out for it, maybe it's time to get an alarm.

Glad you got it back Huttey!

For your info: all BMW E39s have a built-in factory immobiliser that CANNOT be bypassed.

No car thief can start the car without a key.

and if you have the CODE set, then he cannot start it even with the key.

The immobiliser is very sophisticated - it cannot be hotwired or bypassed. The only way to start the car is with an original key that is registered to the vehicles immobiliser system

Also, the E39 has 90% of the BMW alarm system fitted as standard - just add bonnet switch, tilt switch, siren, and interior sensor - the interior sensor is the hard part (head liner!)

and change the mirror to the one with the LED in it :-) - however any LED will do.

Adding an extra alarm only adds a flashing light and a siren. It offers no further drive-away protection

I would guess that your car was moved on a transporter.

For your info: all BMW E39s have a built-in factory immobiliser that CANNOT be bypassed.

The immobiliser is very sophisticated - it cannot be hotwired or bypassed. The only way to start the car is with an original key that is registered to the vehicles immobiliser system

Also, the E39 has 90% of the BMW alarm system fitted as standard - just add bonnet switch, tilt switch, siren, and interior sensor - the interior sensor is the hard part (head liner!)

and change the mirror to the one with the LED in it :-) - however any LED will do.

Adding an extra alarm only adds a flashing light and a siren. It offers no further drive-away protection

Thats good to know!!

Thanks Jochen, how is Switzerland?

Is adding the extra 10% a Dick Smith DIY job or do you real BMW bits and a professional. Is there a posting you know of for doing this?

Actually it is interesting talking to the cops, they're saying there are thefts happening (more in AK) of prestige cars where they're pretty sure the burglars are pretending to be towies, it looks legit and no one questions the towie and off they go with there prize.

Edited by Huttey

ha ha, my thoughts exactly! Good to hear you got it back thou.

My friends, probably NOBODY in NZ can nick a BMW, but don't ever think moving to Europe. Even the most recent German cars are nicked a few days after they are on the street. And they Don't tow it away!

The immobiliser from BMW has been cracked, and can be easily bypassed (especially the old ones). They showed it on TV in Germany. Takes exactly 30 sec. until the engine is running.

You just can feel save because there is no big market for German cars to be stolen and re-used. You can't bring them out of country.

The only thing what can happen here is that someone wants to have a little joy.

So yes, you can feel quite save here in NZ.

Thanks Jochen, how is Switzerland?

Is adding the extra 10% a Dick Smith DIY job or do you real BMW bits and a professional. Is there a posting you know of for doing this?

Actually it is interesting talking to the cops, they're saying there are thefts happening (more in AK) of prestige cars where they're pretty sure the burglars are pretending to be towies, it looks legit and no one questions the towie and off they go with there prize.

I looked into retro-fitting the BMW factory alarm into my E46. Took it to the delaers and they said no (as it doesn't have the software).

This seems to contradict what is on the bimmer diy forum who say the same as Jochen (and it is a DIY install which looks quite easy). You can buy the retro fit alarm from USA but it needs to be initialised by the dealership. As my dealership was pretty adamant they couldn't do it I decided to not go any further with this.

Bimmer diy link: http://www.bimmerdiy.com/

Other options are after-market alarms that work of the current central locking system, so you don't lose you driver seat setting from your remote key.

Dynatron does one and mongoose does one. Only problem with the E46 and possibly your 5 series is that the central locking data transfer from the IBUS is pretty sophisticated in these cars. Hence the alarms have to be programed to understand it (unlike electric pulses which most cars have). Anyone can feel free to correct me on any of the above as I'm not an expert on this, just repeating what I was told. I contacted dynatron after the mongoose one wouldn't work - they were checking by my vin to see if it would work but then never got back to me.

Other than that you can just get a normal after market alarm which doesn't link up to your central locking, but you would have to deactivate it and unlock your doors seperately.

Hope this helps.

Also have this confusion going on... Would rather get rid of my aftermarket alarm in favour of the OEM unit. Having two engine immobilisers causes more problems with the lock system than its worth.

Also have this confusion going on... Would rather get rid of my aftermarket alarm in favour of the OEM unit. Having two engine immobilisers causes more problems with the lock system than its worth.

Hybrid: for a man of your talents it should be easy for you.

Consult the WDS, then order the bits that are missing

In the E39, the GM is the heart of the alarm system - and so the new bits (bonnet switch, tilt sensor, room monitor, LED) just cable to the GM. Then enable the Alarm option in the software using GT1 and Voila! Alarm!

As for the E46, the WDS describes it like this:

----

Antitheft Alarm System

The antitheft alarm system (DWA) is controlled by the general module V of the central body electronics (ZKE).

The following inputs are monitored:

•Ignition lock (terminal R)

•Door contacts (front and rear)

•Bonnet contact

•Boot lid contact

•Tilt alarm sensor

•Interior protection

An acoustic and visual alarm (country-specific coding) is triggered

----

Having just browsed the WDS for the E46 alarm system, here's the bits you need to add:

Bonnet switch, component S19

Tilt sensor, component B28, RH side of boot

Interior room monitor, component A121

Siren, component H1

New rear-view mirror with LED incorporated (A22) - OR - just fit a LED somewhere :-)

Then code the car and you are done.

Go on Josh - make it your next project !