Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

HT's E30 project

Recently I brought a manual 1986 325i to save and do up to its former glory. It's de reg etc, and it has rust :o , and more rust :o:o ,

got it home and found what looks like the original rego from london B) , pulled the build sheet from under the back seat and put it in a folder so no bugger rips it off and throws it out, and a set of p/plates off a 318i with receipt in the boot [HERM1E] along with the p/plates actually on the car [1TZ US], so theyll be sold when i sort them out (ownership etc)

aaaanyway, Basic plan at this stage is to get it moving (clutch or master/slave cylinder, wont get its geriatric arse into gear!) and as rust free as i can so i can get it down to be re-registered and WoF'd again, then once it's all road legal again continue tidying, paint panel etc

Posted Image

more pics to come when i get around to it

Cheers,

HT

Update; Sunday and Mondays progress (19-20 opctober 08)

Rust attack, my first attempt ever, not the hardest thing in the world to do tho ^_^

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

sorry if the images are too big,

Cheers,

Andrew

Update: Still dealing with the rust in the boot, exciting stuff :P

Posted Image

Looks like a fun project! That boot rust doesn't look too bad.... is it mainly surface rust? What about the rest of the car, how much more is there to tackle?

thanks!

yep it's mostly surface or very early on, driver door has a patch below the trim peice thats eaten through, sunroof panel has a tiny bit but im eying up a new panel on trademe at the moment so might not be a problem :D , boot was the worst because the aerial had been snapped off :rolleyes: so there was a fairly big hole for water to come in,

after the rust, it's just getting the clutch system sorted so it can select gear and move, Probably a dummy WoF to find some more things wrong then, the re rego process, sounds all so easy :D no doubt there will be some hold backs, its the way these things go, and ive got the failthful E36 to run around in so atleast theres no pressure!

Quick picture, this is basicly the worst in the boot(thats not in a difficult place!), its like this under the battery also, even has a hole :D

Posted Image

keep us posted mate I m going through the same process,

with the registration and wof !

oh yeah all fun and games aye haha i'll be up for testing one of these days! if the rust stops showing it's self! :angry: bloody stuff

quick update, pics from week or two ago,

Posted Image

Quick update, its my birthday today so i thought wouldn't it be nice if my E30 could move so off me and dad went, jacked it up etc , tried bleeding the clutch, not much happened but all the pumping of the clutch pedal must have done something because hey presto we now have a moving E30!!

Link:

is this normal?!

theres a weld right across my sump!

post-1001-1225764283_thumb.jpg

aaaand

Sorry about the pics, not too clear

post-1001-1225764337_thumb.jpg

Edited by HT.

easy to find un cracked ones?... the repair is LEAKING obviously...i hate cars that leak oil with a passion!! haha

Getting a little harder, may have to pay a little more as they are normally sold with motors or blocks, judging by the size of the weld that looks like one hell of a crack, I'd replace it, don't try get it repaired again.

I hate oil leaks just as much believe me lol.

Update, not much been happening, ive been pretty slack tbh, got pretty much all the rust i can in the boot, and painted it, so its looking 1 000,000 times better already!

Got a quote from Hollands panel beaters out here in Rolleston for the major rust just recently:

- Got to have the bottoms of the left and right rear gaurds pretty much re done :rolleyes: ,

- A rough quote for the windscreen of $450 but because they cant see how bad that could sky rocket or go down, hoping for the later

- Right front door, which i've rust killed since, still going to need work

All up looking at $750...hopefully it stays close to that!! :D , and will be booked in in the next 2 weeks hopefully!!!

Once all thats done its ALOT closer to being ready for re vin tests etc

Pics below are whats getting repaired,

post-1001-1227828855_thumb.jpg

post-1001-1227828863_thumb.jpg

post-1001-1227828875_thumb.jpg

post-1001-1227828884_thumb.jpg

Edited by HT.

quick update

went in and they could book me in today! so in a weeks time all the rear and windscreen should be rust free!

installed an alarm :P:P

windows down protection...the lot!

post-1001-1228790826_thumb.jpg

post-1001-1228790950_thumb.jpg

a serious update,

Before and after of aerial and windscreen

and hopefully a new fan on the way thanks to " 323e30 "

will probably try do waterpump and afew other little things while i've managed to kick mum out of the garage, belts were done 20,000miles ago so thats good, will have a close look to make sure theyre still fine, cant see why not though

post-1001-1229123369_thumb.jpg

post-1001-1229123383_thumb.jpg

post-1001-1229123411_thumb.jpg

Once your down to the water pump, its almost a good excuse to go a little bit further and do cam belt, cylinder head and exhaust manifold gaskets too.

On my car i did all the cam belt and water pump job, used the car for a week then blew a head gasket.

It only took marginally longer to remove the whole cylinder head once the cam belt was off.

Rust repair is looking good!

quick update

got the rest of my parts, thanks to Gavin at Euroitalian! even got some mints :D

hopefully car should be running again by sunday evening and i can take it for a quick blat round the block :P

just the sump issue to go then it should be all easier stuff

post-1001-1234234138_thumb.jpg