Sign in to follow this  
oscar90

HT's E30 project

Small update,

Got my new Front and rear Discs today, Cheers to Gavin @ EuroItalian!..always good to deal with..got my lolly/choco bar, made my day haha! Will get these in sometime this week, or next week when I buy new pads

Also gave the E30 a quick clean

got pics of the new Headunit

And my Dog...can't leave a door open 2secs or he's in and doesn't come out for a long time lol

post-1001-1260904409.jpg

post-1001-1260904425.jpg

post-1001-1260904441.jpg

post-1001-1260904449.jpg

Guest Simon*

Andrew mate, have you been living in a "resize your pictures" vacuum? ;)

Can you reduce the big set above please

Good looking Shepherd :)

Andrew mate, have you been living in a "resize your pictures" vacuum? ;)

Can you reduce the big set above please

Good looking Shepherd :)

Dude, they are 800x600......

Unless you are talking about some on another page?

Edit:nvm, i see the ones on the page back.

Edited by turboprop

Guest Simon*

Correct. Not the set with the dog, the other 2 sets. This thread is all on one page for me - forum settings are customisable, but picture resizing is not

Dude, they are 800x600......

Unless you are talking about some on another page?

Edit:nvm, i see the ones on the page back.

Quoted for self-ownage.

Cars looking good dude. I like the black wheels on white.

Cheers for the comments guy,

Yeah hes a big dog, looks most people in the eye when hes standing up on his rears.

Ive been here for all the resize "fun"!! lol no time warp of vaccum

Was just about to lose my mind when i saw resize lol was thinking "WTF i resized them all im sure of it!" all sorted.

other pics all goneburgers, not needed anyway

Turbo Prop: Brakes are from gavin @ EuroItalian so im pressuming they're good quality, was $240ish I think, too lazy to get invoice back out. Rears are "Vaico" Fronts are something, saw Italy on the box lol will try confirm later for you

So a Small update... instead of being sensible..

I has M50 :rolleyes::D

Posted Image

yeah yet another sorry! haha, wont be for awhile though

Went for its test today

Failed its compliance test on:

Oil damaged driveshaft bit

Steering rack something to do with play

Headlights need securing on one side and all need aligning

My Brand new exhaust needs quieting down (exhaust guy is gonna get my foot up his arse at this stage because I specificaly said leave it with a nice tone but it HAS to pass a recompliance test)

Needs a repair cert for 2 metal plates welded in under the battery...total bullshit, cant see it being structual but thats $300 alone

I hate E30's currently...would like to watch it burn lol i understand fully how others with projects feel through the tough times!

yeah as much as I want to give in, i'll end up doing the final push I suppose, whats another donation to the black hole fund! its worth more registered at the end of the day... on the brighside I traded my 528i for a 540i M sport replica. verry nice, wish i'd done it sooner! haha Pics to come, Cant wait to take it to Timaru

yeah as much as I want to give in, i'll end up doing the final push I suppose, whats another donation to the black hole fund! its worth more registered at the end of the day... on the brighside I traded my 528i for a 540i M sport replica. verry nice, wish i'd done it sooner! haha Pics to come, Cant wait to take it to Timaru

Sweeeet :D!

have got driveshaft flexi ordered thru Gavin @ Euro Italian, emailed him and put money thru, just waiting to hear back

Rang Jon at JK southern euro and have a steering rack arranged, just waiting for them to email me back with payment details :)

So half way once these bits are installed,

then have to sort the headlights and get them alligned (getting sick of E30 headlights...the hassle iv'e had with them is crazy haha looks at NZ post <_< )

have looked into this repair cert (still a load of shiz, don't care what anyone says haha, I have receipts to prove a registered iCar welder did it at a registered panel beaters, but thats the gay law of the land. sh*t happens, lifes like a box of chocolates etc etc! :rolleyes: ) will go get that sorted this week or next.

Found so called corrosion behind my left rear wheel..it's a bit of surface about 1cm2...pissed off about that, repair cert will sort that I think once confirmed it wont mess with structual integrity

Covered middle seat belt in lubricant as it can't be adjusted atm...easy to fix id imagine haha

Exhaust guy tested exhaust and it's under the decibel Level and the VTNZ garage admitted they dont have a dB meter...but they just quote the louder than factory stuff so the exhaust guy has a wee trick for test day so all good..will still get it quietened down the track

Once sorted it will most likely be parked up/covered up... sick of looking at the money pit, got the 540i to keep me entertained for awhile :D ...and I already want paint and panel, mtech I, better suspension and low offset 16"x9's..and i have a m50 sitting in the garage and a desire to turbo it after being in [E30WPN] ...better off parking it behind the house and forgetting about it for awhile haha!

REG and Wof from VTNZ yesterday morning (first speeding ticket that afternoon :rolleyes: guts)....finally after more than a year I think it's been, and many..."F*cking E30, im selling you" Moments, its all road worthy

Huge thanks to everyone thats helped!

Mike/323e30/Synthe LTD for all the parts - you've been a great help mate!

JK Southern Euro for their LEGENDARY service on Friday afternoon (2/4/10) for sorting me with some parts and getting them here saturday morning! cant stress how much I appreciated it guys!

I also had this really helpful guy from BMW looking for parts on trademe while I was at work! AMAZING service, cheers for that if your on here mate!

And everyone else im fotgetting! because I know im forgetting people... next Major update will be the M50 I suppose now I can just chuck the Rego on hold when the need arises lol does need rear bushes done though...been looking at Kerrys/Mosens 3 peice kit...will recover from all these rego costs first

Roughest E30 out I reckon haha but way more fun to drive than my old E36 and more fun factor than the E39... Atta your E30V8 must be abit of alright! haha

will try make the next track day i think :D

Andrew

Sweet, now you can enjoy some time in it rather than under it :D

Roughest E30 out I reckon haha but way more fun to drive than my old E36 and more fun factor than the E39... Atta your E30V8 must be abit of alright! haha

will try make the next track day i think :D

Andrew

Huge congrats man, can't wait to see it :)

You are quite right, the E30 definitely has something to it ay.. even the M325i was barrels of fun..

As for the V8, I'm yet to fully experience it but hopefully will be dropping her off to Sam tomorrow to get the LSD diff in and the drive shaft fixed (it's hitting the exhaust under acceleration).

But yeh, it's lethal quick so can't wait B)

Guest Ari Gold

Inspirational thread mate! How long you reckon it actually took to get on road, both time and money wise?

What was the worst part of the recompliancing?

Edited by Ari Gold

Cheers guys!

Worst part of Recompliancing for me was waiting for the fail sheet... then the 20 working days you have to fix it all...the money tree was dying from been abused haha

ummmm I started on it in October 2008 just before I became an Apprentice so money was tight (gotta love 11.50 a hour)...straight off just started killing rust tidying it up, ripped all the interior out and cleaned it etc, then had some panel work done, then off to DCH motorsport for its new sump, then new belts, water pump, dizzy, plugs etc full service

Then it went into the garage where all four corners were ripped out in the hope of coil overs...but apprentice wage didnt agree, and at this stage i'd hoped to have it done by early-mid 2009 so got some KYB's and King springs along with all front bushes (powerflex or something, seem to be ok) and the Race series spec Avanti's with RE001 bridgestone rubber...

This is where it took ages...it was the age old "time or money" I had one or the other but never both, and its the first time i'd ever played around with cars so alot was dependant on the old man having time/patience to help me, got the suspension done bar rear bushes and it sat idol for 4-5 months...

I then sold my E36 320iM and got a E39 528iA so that held me back abit...

Then had my second wind, and had changed job so was now earning much better money, so got heaps of little things done (Bonnet release cable, ripped rooted alarm out, just heaps of odds and ends)

got the Brakes done, New fluid, new discs, and pads, then exhaust was all done as the old one was rusted from the UK road salt, that brings us to about a month ago then decided to bite the bullet an find out what needed doing, took it for its first inspection, (brought my 540iA somewhere in here so that held me up afew weeks)

It Failed, I had to replace Drivers headlights and adjust them, quieten exhaust, replace oil damaged front drive shaft flexi, replace steering rack, replace middle lap belt lol, over all it was a good fail list, except for needing a Repair Cert for the repairs a registered iCar approved panel beater had done on it in 2008/2009, threw a huge hate E30's wobbly for a week and was gonna part it out, mates talked me around so got all that done in the last 3 weeks and took it back and the hesistantly gave me the WOF and REGO

So after that novel i've just written i'd estimate a year of work (wasnt solid everyday work like some projects get) and...money side...not sure if i want to know! but here we go

Suspension I have three receipts totalling $1406

New shocks, springs, bushes, bumpstops, spring pads, ball joints, strut top mounts/top hats

________

Wheels and tyres

$1426.00

________

Sump replacement $299 (plus whatever I paid for the sump at the time? $100 maybe)

________

Panel incl Cert $1300

________

Service parts;

Timing Belt

Intake elbow

Distributor cap

Tensioner

$290.00

P/S belt

Aircon Belt

Distributor Rotor

2x4lt magnatec oil

Genuine oil filter

$ 100-200?? (lost reciept at this stage)

________

Brakes

Front and Rear discs $250

Pads $ 100-150?? lost reciepts at this stage

________

Stereo

JVC headunit and 6x9's $300 approx

________

Steering Rack

Rack $150

Labour/fluid etc for fitting $280

________

Exhaust

$600.00

________

Driveshaft flexi $100

Headlights $104.00

Seatbelt $30.00

________

Battery

$250 approx

________

Misc

Tools, Jacks, Paint, Sand paper, Bulbs, Wiper blades, and everything else I brought along the way I stopped accounting for at $600

Im almost crying LOL!

Puts it close to 8k

plus the $600 for the car

$180 for the test (got mis-quoted so they gave it to us at 180, ment to be $250)

$267 for rego and wof

Ticket I got the day it got WOF'd and rego'd $170 LMAO

So with those added brings it to approx $8900 if my quick add up is right.... on a $3000-$4000 car, probably forgotten something aswell

I learnt alot along the way, had alot of Bimmerpsorters help me with parts and advise, and it kept me out of trouble I suppose haha so all wasnt lost!

If your reading this and thinking of buying a de registered car, DO NOT BUY A DE REG CAR AND DO WHAT I DID!! buy a donor shell or tags...save your self time and money and all the hassle!!!

...f**king E30's aye LOL all fun and games!

Small update, Brought a set of subframe/diff bushes of kerry, got the 5mm lower ones,

Posted Image

will go get sway bar bushes late this week/next week...then take the dive and buy a LSD,

then put the E30 in the garage for bushes and diff install, then send it to DCH or the likes for trailing arm bushes to be done.. screw that fiasco lol

Bonus also brought a sticker

Posted Image

You're doing the subframe bush / diff install yourself? I have to get mine sorted out at some point soon. (Probably LSD as well) I'd be keen to come help and observe to learn how difficult it is to do.

How much were the bushes by the way?