Sign in to follow this  
caleb

Which Type Of Petrol Do You Use?

Which grade of petrol do you normally use for E46 2002 Jap Import

The owner's manual written in Jap says 95 ron.

Wonder if most people use 95 ron or the most economical grade i.e. 91 ron

Edited by lufu

You should always use the highest octane available, like 98 or 95.

The last couple times I have filled up with 91 and it still has run smooth. There is a difference though. As the ignition system retards the timing to prevent preignition and so it doesn't damage the engine. It will still run fine but the chance of damage to your engine is far more likely.

Lower octane increases fuel consumption (not more economical), higher octane should reduce fuel consumption.

Edited by Nick021

Who cares about economy anyway, petrol is cheap as chips atm, if you can't afford to fork out cash for 95 or 98 as cheap as it is now, then perhaps a cheaper choice of car is in order?

95 for me, Shell has Flybuys.

98 if its a Turbo im driving.

You should always use the highest octane available, like 98 or 95.

The last couple times I have filled up with 91 and it still has run smooth. There is a difference though. As the ignition system retards the timing to prevent preignition and so it doesn't damage the engine. It will still run fine but the chance of damage to your engine is far more likely.

Lower octane increases fuel consumption (not more economical), higher octane should reduce fuel consumption.

I believe this is not the case for the M10 engine as it is lower compression. I remember reading in one of my pieces of bmw literature for my car that only 91 should be used (m10b18 e30).

I believe this is not the case for the M10 engine as it is lower compression. I remember reading in one of my pieces of bmw literature for my car that only 91 should be used (m10b18 e30).

I am talking about more modern engines like in the e46. The older engines this might not apply to as back then the octanes probably weren't as high.

I am talking about more modern engines like in the e46. The older engines this might not apply to as back then the octanes probably weren't as high.

Absolutely

We get 100km's more out of 98 in the E46 than from 91.

I can't really tell the difference between 95/98 for the E30, but hey, if 98 reduces the chances of detonation then I don't see why I should "save" 2c per litre if it means my motor lasts longer.

So it seems that 98 is more economical? For a 325e30's and 328e46's anyway.

I always use 95 for all my cars regardless of age, model and make. Modern engines are capable to make adjustments to take advantage of it. Older cars use 95 certainly won't hurt and the exhaust pipes are noticibly cleaner (less soot). Using 95 can do more milage than using 91, and it's more than enough to make up the price differnce (and some).

Also, petrol in Japan are 94-98 octane for regular (depend on brand and where you are in Japan) and 100 for premium. Given the choices availabe in NZ, you should really use 95 at least for a Jap import.

Anything with a CR approaching 10:1 (Most petrol-powered BMW cars) should use 95 or higher to prevent detonation.

Will definitely be using 98 when car is done, may even dabble in some octane booster for track days haha

98 in a 316i? Ruthless :mellow:

Gota make up some of the difference somehow :P

Always Bp ultimate for me, or the good caltex if theres no bp around.

i find nothing beats flooring it in 2nd with a full tank of ultimate behind the pedal :D

I alwayz use the 95 at caltex (dad works for chevron lol), but i found other brands of petrol tended to ruin my mileage figures anyway.... haven't tried BP Ultimate yet, might be worth a go...

Shell. I got 10 free movie tickets with my flybuys. The bitches like free movies

98 at BP, been using it in my old Mitsi as well ever since they started selling it.

I run all my cars on BP 98,and they love it.

But the price was a bit of a killer a while back!

Now that I’ve moved house i use 98 because bp is closer. used to use 95 at shell or gull. can’t say I noticed any difference between the 98 and 95 tho.

Also any one used that octane booster stuff?

Does it make a difference in performance and does it actually clean the engine?

hehe octane booster its a funny little thing. my old 89 325(Nz New) loved it. from Tauranga to wellington(hutt valley) on 3/4 of a tank of 98 plus a bottle of whines race octane booster. if label is close to correct i was running bout 102 octane(badness) o i forgot to mention i wasn't nanering it. minimum 130 on straights the occasional 190kph blitz(not that i say its a sensible thing to do on public roads) so 500kms hard driven an only using bout 45 liters of gas sounds good to me. i run minimum of 95 in my Nissan would prefer 98 just for the sake of it.

I used to run octane boost in my telstar because it needed all the help it could get and it definitely made a difference.... much cleaner and far more mileage, that was using the STP Octane Boost, which is apparently about 7 numbers RON