Sign in to follow this  
bigrob

Warning other drivers

Guys whats your view on warning other drivers about police presence on the roads by flashing your headlights?I think we should all do it- not only do you save someone from getting a ticket but most importantly people tend to slow down when you warn them.

Amen to that,

i also think that one of the main reasons there are accidents on the roads is cause of arrogance in the attitude, and to see people taking consideration about other drivers by warning about (hazards to the wallet) is still some sought of consideration for some one else. Good to see people communicating on the roads full stop, no matter what it might be.

I agree!!! I always do it, I even did it to a cop one dark dark night.. oops.

I flash my headlights to warn of speed cameras and highway patrol frequently.

I also flash my lights when I see someone driving like an ass!

+1

+Horn blaring

Yep, always warn - unless someone is being a complete idiot

I flash my headlights to warn of speed cameras and highway patrol frequently.

Amen, I wish more drivers would do it too. I hate not getting a thank you wave also.....

yup all the time epically when i see the speed camera vans, or a cop with his hand held speed gun

agreed, unless they desrve a ticket i.e. stupid = danger to themselves and other road users.

It's an old courtesy that seems to have waned in recent years. I still do it and appreciate the return favour and give the thankyou wave.

I think May and his "Christian Driving" is on the right track. I'm always letting people in and so forth - I wish everyone else was as considerate.

So occaisionally when I'm in Auckland and there's a tool doing 85 in the "fast" lane with heaps of room in the left lane, instead of playing slalom I throw christian driving out the window and give them the high beam and horn treatment. I probably look like a c**t, but f**k 'em.

Guest FrantiC

I have been saved a couple time from those vans that park up on the side of motorways in bushes and stuff with speed cameras in them. Not long ago I was going around 130ish and got the flick from someone, slowed down and sure enough there was one sitting 100m up the road on the side of the road (it was looking the other way, behind a bush thing so wouldn't have seen me until I went passed).

Probably shouldn't be speeding in the first place but damnit e30's are FUN.

Edited by FrantiC

It nearly caused a huge accident for me the last weekend.

I was driving up the old Hutt Road with about a dozen cars all doing the new limit of 60 (down from 70). A taxi starts flashing it lights and all of a sudden the first car slams on its brakes. Fortunately I was the last car and had plenty of space but several of the cars in front locked up in the panic.

We ended up passing the officers doing 40kph. IMO they shouldve pulled over the first car and asked them why they were only doing 40.

Yeah thats always a danger. My mum is a member of the skilled group of drivers who whenever they see a cop, slow down waaaaaay below the speed limit. No sh*t, she'll go 10km below the speed limit if she spots one 300m out.

I informed her that it wasn't in fact a ticket able offence to drive to the speed limit - or in fact slightly over and her response was, "well I'd rather not have a ticket"... meanwhile she never checks when the warrant is out on her car, and often leaves it 3 months before realising. I don't think she understands what is dangerous and what isn't.

And yes, I'm all for friendly light flashing.

p.s. my mother drives an e46 :P

On another note....

What is it with New Zealand drivers and there 'need' for being in the fast lane on the motorway even when there's no cars in the other two slower lanes?.

I come up behind people nearly every day and sit behind them and they just carry on in the fast lane without moving over into the other two empty lanes beside them !@!#!##

i usually do the warning...i also warn people of other hazards,ie road works that are just rounfd the corner etc etc...i dont flash and honk road hoggers...i just go ointo the inside lane(indicate of course) and pass e on the inside...prolly too close for comfort for them...i aslo dont flash or honk at "dnagerou driving.... figure they are to ignorant to even figure out what we are on about...

i usually do the warning...i also warn people of other hazards,ie road works that are just rounfd the corner etc etc...i dont flash and honk road hoggers...i just go ointo the inside lane(indicate of course) and pass e on the inside...prolly too close for comfort for them...i aslo dont flash or honk at "dnagerou driving.... figure they are to ignorant to even figure out what we are on about...

The gospel here

lol

I'm a big fan of warning other drivers. I'm also a big fan of generally being friendly and courteous on the road to other users and let cars into my lane if they want, let cars in from side streets if appropriate etc.

I like to think that others will do likewise for me.

Cheers

Grant

i only recently started driving a bmw after japas so every time i try to flash my lights in haste as warning or frustration i just end up turning the wipers on lol

i only recently started driving a bmw after japas so every time i try to flash my lights in haste as warning or frustration i just end up turning the wipers on lol

i still do that if i have driven the wifes suzuki the day before...

I need to find the pictures of some of the signs we've made lol.

My mate used to flat on onewa road, where as some as the Shorey's may know there is a fixed speed camera and also from time to time there is a van. And very often there are booze buses.Thankfully, he lived on the corner and had a lot of cardboard and spray cans. Have climbed up the speed camera and put a big "SMILE" sign over the lense, have put a big "SPEED CAMERA" sign on the back windshield of the van and when we're home and there's a booze bus we sit on the corner with "Booze Bus" signs. Have met sooo many people in that flat thanks to that last sign. HA

So occaisionally when I'm in Auckland and there's a tool doing 85 in the "fast" lane with heaps of room in the left lane, instead of playing slalom I throw christian driving out the window and give them the high beam and horn treatment. I probably look like a c**t, but f**k 'em.

yea it's shocking in Wellington too, 70kph in the slow lane, 71kph in the fast lane lol

Yesterday I went from Wellington to Ohakune and back again (to see mum)

Everyone seemed to be driving at 80kph on the motorway for some reason ... and every single passing lane I came to these same people would speed up to 110kph or more making passing very illegal (and more dangerous than it would normally be).

Also there seemed to be quite a lot of passing lanes closed, that seems like a bit of a foolish move to do that. Do they want me to overtake on the wrong side of the road? Do they not realise how frustrating it is sitting behind someone doing 80kph on the open road for a long time?

Although in saying that, I did come across a couple of courteous drivers that allowed me to pass them on the Para Para's (about 70km's of windy road between Wanganui and Raetihi - very awesome drive :)). I always give drivers like that a friendly toot and a wave.

Edited by Wom