Sign in to follow this  
Sammy J

e46 330i motor into an e30, how hard.

Hi all,

i have been toying with the idea of putting a later model bmw motor into my e30 to give it a bit more grunt and just make it a very drivable and reliable car. i was thinking the e46 330i motor with vanos, how hard is this conversion and what major things are involved. i have the ability to do the mechanical and eletrical side of things myself was just wondering if there was some things i should know about

Cheers

Sam

i have the ability to do the mechanical and eletrical side of things myself

Are there other types of challenges besides mechanical and electrical?

Best wait for Glenn to see this and give you an opinion on the electrical side. I don't see why the motor swap part, assuming an M54, should be too much more difficult that an M50 swap.

The major issue could well be cost of engine and gearbox.

or do a 3L crank into your M20 engine do some head work ,cam , headers etc etc .thna you dont have to worry about modifying everthing

Its possible as you can see in the link. You would just need very deep pockets. Manual would be easier and you would need a computer to run the engine with dual vanos. The throttle body would also need to be changed as that motor was fly by wire and ran ASC. M52B28 manual would be alot easier and cheaper to do.

The new link g4 ECU has full support for double Vanos. Going with this setup for the s50 this year.

Variable Valve Timing

Up to 4 channel independent

Precision Closed Loop Control

3D Tables with configurable X and Y axis controls

Preset or Custom Configuration

Supported Engines - 1UZFE VVTi; Subaru AVCS; EVO 9 VVT; BMW VANOS; Toyota 3SGE, 1ZZ, IJZ, 2NZ, 2JZ; Honda K20; Nissan VQ35; Ford V8; Holden V6

Link here:

http://www.linkecu.com/products/engine-man...t-ecus/g4-storm

That link computer looks like the go, what if i got a factory computer with the engine though? would that be better than the link? does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of one of these engines and gearboxes?

That link computer looks like the go, what if i got a factory computer with the engine though? would that be better than the link? does anyone have a rough idea of the cost of one of these engines and gearboxes?

engines about $3 to 4K plus lots of bits .

cheaper to do a stroker M20 .

or maybe a 2.8L M52

Talk to ray / HellBM for cost. hes moved a couple.

While the stock ECU will run the engine, you are going to need a lot of the original sensors / other modules / instrument cluster to even make the DME satisfied to turn over.

The money you'll spend getting the OEM ECU working in recoding and deleting errors (a lot are not removible). You might as well just buy the link out right.

And as Glenn said, you will need to get the fly by wire throttle working. You cant use any old accelerator pedal either, the e46 one has varible voltage / signal output to make it work. If you found a pedal from a manual car it would be a lot easier as the automatic ones have a kick down switch coded in them which is inturn coded back to the EGS / DME.

Youll need a GT1 computer (Guido / BM workshop) to re-program it all / delete bypass fault codes.

For around 3500 for the g4 storm you could just have link and a lot of options to boot and a lot less hassles / headache. However the g4 extreme supports fly by wire throttle if you cant change out the MAF/throttle body.

For around 3500 for the g4 storm you could just have link and a lot of options to boot and a lot less hassles / headache. However the g4 extreme supports fly by wire throttle if you cant change out the MAF/throttle body.

The Link is $1520 plus installation and tune. I would hope the M54 has enough sensors to satisfy the Link's inputs.

I would phone link themselves around the specifics. They will probably direct you towards a tuner/reseller whos done the m54b30 in the past.

Another thing is there is someone in the open series who is running one in his e30 m3. Its the red one :) Some of the race guys may be able to pass on his details.

hope that helps.

Sounds like Jim Wallace's, can"t remember who built that, but Conrad could.

or do a 3L crank into your M20 engine do some head work ,cam , headers etc etc .thna you dont have to worry about modifying everthing

At the end of it all though, its still a dirty old M20.

/bait

thats exactly what i think too, its still an old motor. i want a new motor thats got the newer technology etc to go with it. so the job itself sounds hard but not impossible....

here is a couple .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-197444392.htm

i have a good M52B2.8tu head if needed. also matching electronics to go with it

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-197459666.htm

nice price.

here is a couple .

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-197444392.htm

i have a good M52B2.8tu head if needed. also matching electronics to go with it

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-197459666.htm

nice price.

will your head that you have fit this motor? how much are you wanting for that?

thats exactly what i think too, its still an old motor. i want a new motor thats got the newer technology etc to go with it. so the job itself sounds hard but not impossible....

Sam... if you are serious about doing a conversion. Easiest and less costly is going to be a M52B28 Manual. You will still need deep pockets though. And you wont have to buy a link to run it. Factory DME with engine wiring loom.

I've already researched this and was going to do this with the E30 Coupe I have for sale.

It's basically the same as doing a M50 conversion, but using the later model motor. A M52B28 is going to give you more than enough grunt with reliability

Edited by *Glenn*

Have complete 2,8 motors and all associated gear for the lowest prices,

2.8 heads available.

Listen to Glen.

Have complete 2,8 motors and all associated gear for the lowest prices,

2.8 heads available.

Listen to Glen.

Thanks for your advice guys, you know best what to do and i appreciate your help.

Could i youse my getrag 260 box or will it give way under the increased torque? i want to do this job properly and not cut any corners. Ray how much are you looking for for a complete 2.8 motor and anything i would need for a conversion assosiated with the engine, PM me if you like.

Thanks again

Sam

Youre getrag 260 box wont fit without some major modification ...

You need a ZF 5speed from the later e36 328 manual or e36 95 m3. You cannot use a ZF 6speed as it wont fit in the tunnel. Talk to ray he has all the kit. Youll also need to modifiy the drive shaft and I would think you need to move the brake booster / master cylinder too as you have to in the s50->e30.

The 260 will sit on a funny angle, a 240 will fit and at the right angle, some people reckon the 240 wont hold the extra power, though I dont think there will be any problem with just a m52b28 unless you plan on modding it.

You can cut the alloy bell housing on the 260 and re-weld it to the correct angle. You need someone who is very good at alloy welding however. It has been done before on this forum successfully.

I would still go the ZF route as its less dodgy and probably wont get raised eyebrows around warrent time.

and the 240 is a sh*t house box.

I would have to agree... If you are going to do it....do it properly ONCE use the correct gearbox for the motor