Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Peformance gains. Gavin.

This is more for Gavin but thought i'd make it public for other ideas.

Gavin, is it worth me giving you approx $1200 to tinker with my car (remap etc) or spending approx $1200 on a Plenium as seen on the Hamann M3 on TM at the mo.

I'd love to do both but pockets arn't quite that deep unfortunately.

Any suggestions welcome

Edited by Greg.

I would personally wait and do both at the same time when you can afford it. If you do a remap first, then do the plenum, you might have to do another remap to get total gains.

I would personally wait and do both at the same time when you can afford it. If you do a remap first, then do the plenum, you might have to do another remap to get total gains.

For the moment what do you think would benefit more?

Seems logical to wait and do both at the same time. If you do the plenium now, youll need a remap anyway to make the most use out of it.

If you do a remap now, you'll need one later anyway for the plenium.

Seems logical to wait and do both at the same time. If you do the plenium now, youll need a remap anyway to make the most use out of it.

Isnt that just what Glenn said??? :wacko:

I am also under the impression that the car would need a remap for the plenum to do its job.

I understand that dude, i also understood it when Glenn said it too :P .

I just thought if i do one i won't do the other (or not for some time anyway). I assume a remap would be the better of the two options?

I understand that dude, i also understood it when Glenn said it too :P .

I just thought if i do one i won't do the other (or not for some time anyway). I assume a remap would be the better of the two options?

I'd go with the Plenum first.

1. If you think it will benefit from a retune now (stock) then it will still with the Plenum installed, so do it later.

2. If you retune now, then get the plenum later, you will need to retune it again. More $$$

The question is:

Will there be a disbenefit (over stock) in running the plenum without a retune?

How much are we talking here? Will I even notice with my butt-dyno? Driveablility? Fuel Consumption?

My 2c

Yeah i didnt refresh the page before typing :lol:

How do you know Glenn and I arent the same person? :P

Yeah i didnt refresh the page before typing :lol:

How do you know Glenn and I arent the same person? :P

He knows...because I'm not dyslexic :P

Greg...if you are serious about doing the plenum at some stage....wait untill you can do both, unless you have other driveability problems

No drivability probs just want more power! Was wondering whether i just get the remap and forget the plenum.

I'm thinking there is proberly more power with the remap.

As I said before... Ring Gavin... his opinion would be more valuable than us continuing to waffle on

Mmm, anyhow keep me posted on your findings Greg!

Actual figures would be even better :)! dyno before and after for the greater good ^_^

Mmm, anyhow keep me posted on your findings Greg!

Actual figures would be even better :)! dyno before and after for the greater good ^_^

Didn't you have yours dyno'd?

He knows...because I'm not dyslexic :P

YOU HAVE A DISSASTER COMING UP SHORTLY

Cheers

Glenn

AAAhehehehe

Didn't you have yours dyno'd?

Sure did but never attempted any performance mods yet.

What power did it have at the wheels?

What power did it have at the wheels?

http://www.bimmersport.co.nz/forums/index....=8775&st=75

172kw / 240hp @ wheels.

Engine was running a bit lean due to small air leak in the intake manifold, I have fixed that issue since so I think it should run a tad better now.

Assuming I am running bang on factory figures (286hp @ flywheel) I am getting about 16% loss through the drive train which seems like a very realistic figure.

The main problem here is that you can't really compare my dyno results (accurately) with yours.

I say this because to my knowledge each dyno machine will differ not to mention our engines will most likely produce different results due to age / maintenance etc...

I think to truly get an accurate results you have to do a benchmark dyno first (hence why I did this) and dyno on the same machine again and again after each milestone. This method will give you a true indication into performance gains.

I would definitely recommend you do a benchmark dyno first, not only will this give you accurate performance gains you will also be able to ensure that your car is running well to start off with. Like I said, I managed to pick up that my engine was running lean initially and hence found the air leak. I would have never noticed this unless I did a benchmark dyno.

Edited by crazyarab

Oh yeah true, 46 HP loss through the drive train isn't too bad at all.

Might just look at getting the remap done, do a before and after dyno. It's actually running fairly rich as well so will get that looked at too. (Shoots flames when cold every now and then) ;)

Oh yeah true, 46 HP loss through the drive train isn't too bad at all.

Might just look at getting the remap done, do a before and after dyno. It's actually running fairly rich as well so will get that looked at too. (Shoots flames when cold every now and then) ;)

Sounds good! be interesting how much more you can squeeze out :)

Sounds good! be interesting how much more you can squeeze out :)

Every bit counts ;)