Sign in to follow this  
Greg111

Peformance gains. Gavin.

This is more for Gavin but thought i'd make it public for other ideas.

Gavin, is it worth me giving you approx $1200 to tinker with my car (remap etc) or spending approx $1200 on a Plenium as seen on the Hamann M3 on TM at the mo.

I'd love to do both but pockets arn't quite that deep unfortunately.

Any suggestions welcome

Those carbon plenums certainly look cool, BUT!.........

The plenum on the M3 on TM looks like it has had the hotwire airflow meter deleted, in which case you will not be able to just bolt one of these on. It will need new software in the ECU otherwise the car simply won't run. These plenums were used on the race M3's back in the day, and gave very little power gains over the stock one (5-10hp from memory) and the expense of low and mid range power. You will not buy one of these for $1200 either, it will be more like two or three times that price if it is a "proper" piece and not some Chinese knockoff.

I wouldn't pay too much attention to the 243KW at the wheels claim on the TM car either, that equates to nearly 400hp at the flywheel, which is pure fantasy for a road car engine.

Do your homework with the supplier of the plenum first, and ask if the airflow sensor is deleted/retained, and what modifications (if any) the car will require. I think you will find it is not an easy "bolt on" piece.

Edited by conrod

Ha heres me thinking i could plug and play, might just keep the original piece and do the remapping.

I think the 243KW was measured at the flywheel though.

AFAIK the M3 is quite a high N/A tune stock so a simple re-map is going to do sweet FA.

You could always run a MAP-ECU as they delete the AFM (new plenum or not) and are tuned off a MAP sensor, just a thought.

There is a Dyno shop in Papakura that install and tune them, Mr-E34 runs one and he got some nice gains.

AFAIK the M3 is quite a high N/A tune stock so a simple re-map is going to do sweet FA.

You could always run a MAP-ECU as they delete the AFM (new plenum or not) and are tuned off a MAP sensor, just a thought.

There is a Dyno shop in Papakura that install and tune them, Mr-E34 runs one and he got some nice gains.

I'm intrigued.......so i'm going to be spending a bit of money either way so obviously i want the best possible result, can you explain what is involved with the MAP-ECU other than what you have already said?

http://www.mapecu.com/

The developer is a Kiwi and he mostly exports overseas. Im sure MRE34 could give you some more info, better still call Jason at APT.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/rm...nce-tuning-ltd/

Worth a call, even if it’s just to gain a greater understanding of the options.

If I were spending $1,200 I would want a decent gain and would do a bit of research, have seen a mate remap his M3 and gain something pathetic like 5hp. $1,200 - 5hp = FAIL.

http://www.mapecu.com/

The developer is a Kiwi and he mostly exports overseas. Im sure MRE34 could give you some more info, better still call Jason at APT.

http://www.finda.co.nz/business/listing/rm...nce-tuning-ltd/

Worth a call, even if it’s just to gain a greater understanding of the options.

If I were spending $1,200 I would want a decent gain and would do a bit of research, have seen a mate remap his M3 and gain something pathetic like 5hp. $1,200 - 5hp = FAIL.

That also looks interesting, i'll PM Gavin as he obviously hasn't seen this and see what he thinks, cheers for help man.