Sign in to follow this  
graham.watson@datamail.co.

BMW M3 CSL 2004

I am considering buying one of these models. Apart from the weight saving in the carbon panels do these have any advantages over the 'std' M3?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=197981065

NEWB question is this an E46?

How reliable are these single clutch auto gear boxes?

Yes it is an E46 and apart from the weight saving areas it also has 360HP? Someone correct me. It's around that figure anyways. The normal E46 has 343HP.

They are one hell of a car!

MMMmmm I hope to have one in a few years.

Pretty much the ultimate BMW in quite a few years, they are an extreme version of the M3, they have obvious performance advantages, all of which you will find with a quick Google, these enhancements could come as a disadvantage if maintenance costs, user-friendliness and comfort are priorities, they run very expensive tires and have quite a harsh ride on your average NZ road.

If you do relatively low kilometers in a week or better still have an everyday car this car would be a very rewarding weekend vehicle, especially if you enjoy the odd track day.

There is a CSL owner on here that might give you his opinion if you PM him.

Id give my left nut for one as would most BMW fan boys!

There was a CSL doing 1:09's around Puke the other week. Had an awesome looking carbon intake and huge brakes.

There was a CSL doing 1:09's around Puke the other week. Had an awesome looking carbon intake and huge brakes.

All standard on the CSLs.

Knew I would find this vid somewhere

One of the guys on this forum owns one and has been slowly modding it so im sure hell chime in soon enough to give you his story. Its one hell of a car. Just a pity they never made them in manual.

That CSL just sounds so epic!

Theres at least two CSL owners on BimmerSport.

I would own one in a heartbeat if I could.

That CSL just sounds so epic!

It is entirely possible to run the CSL airbox on a normal m3. You need to run Alpha N software however as it does away with the MAF.

One of those owners would be me (and that would be me also that did the 1.09s around Pukekohe) :lol:

In all honesty that CSL is very well priced (actually too cheap if you are a CSL owner :P ) - and the one owner history and NZ New spec makes it a very attractive buy. I was tempted to snap it up myself to be honest (enough so to actually show the wife the ad - if it had been black I'd have been seriously tempted).

Now few things to consider before you 'invest' in a CSL - THESE ARE NOT CHEAP CARS TO MAINTAIN - PERIOD!!!

Not if you want to keep it in tip top spec.

There's a few things against this car in my opinion:

1. No original Michelin Pilot Sport Cup semi slicks ($1000 for the fronts each, and $1200 for the rears each) - a CSL without these tyres really detracts it from the CSL experience - I know, I've ran road tyres on mine before and have 2 sets of CSL rims and the driving experience is night and day.

2. worn steering wheel (this is over $2000 to replace new - cheaper if you source from overseas) - Alcantara don't last long if you don't maintain it.

3. Probably one of the highest km example CSL I've seen (the other is a black one with 5X,XXXkm)

4. At those kms most of the bushes would be shot (trust me on this one) ... so budget to have the RTAB, Rear shock, FCAB and possibly the sway bar, rear diff carrier bushes replaced soon - if you don't keep on top of the rear bushes expect a torn or tear rear chassis subframe floor (yes that's how they break!!!)

5. No BMW Warranty!! (Handy when you have something expensive break or the rear floor torn off!!!!)

Whilst the CSL share a lot of common parts with the E46 M3, there are A LOT of CSL UNIQUE parts. And trust me these parts are NOT CHEAP. For eg. a genuine front bumper without the carbon flippers ($830 each) will set you back $8300+GST, the seats are over $10,000 each (a freaking adjustment nob on the seat is $530+GST!!!!) A passenger airbag seat sensor cushion (yes you have to buy the whole cushion not just the sensor matt) is $690+GST

If you are serious about buying this car I'd get the following checked:

1. Has the airfilter ($300+ this is a BMC specific filter, only one other aftermarket company make a replacement filter for this car) recall been done (check www.m3csl.de and look for the airfilter write up I did for Leo on that website) - if it hasn't been done and the car's now done over 65k km, then I'd stay away from it - bound to get engine issues later on (engine is unique to the CSL - the head is at least)

2. Has it had inspection II carried out (this involve valve adjustment - if not then expect to pay a bit for inspection II)

3. How does the SMG drive? clutch slur issues? faulty release bearing? (A clutch job is expensive (over $3000) and the SMG pump is VERY EXPENSIVE (over $4000) - these do break every now and then)

4. Has it had the latest software update?

5. When was the last time the clutch take up point reinitiallised (this should be done on a yearly basis to prevent premature clutch wear)

6. How often was it serviced (engine oil, rear diff and gearbox (don't buy into the life time fluid crap ... it's bollocks).

7. Was the previous owner an enthusiast? Was the car maintained as a "no expense spared" car - it makes a difference whether you just follow the scheduled maintenance or whether the owner actually understands the car and makes preventative maintenance. I maintain mine under the motto of "no expense spared" ... and it drives like new.

Feel free to ask me any questions about the E46 M3s and CSL .. I've been living and breathing these cars since 2000 and have owned 3 of them already including the current CSL.

The CSL is a brilliant car though - BMW at its best in my opinion ... I've yet to drive anything better (and I've driven plenty)

Posted Image

As an example on maintenance ... the two track days I attended before new years last year have cost me the following to maintain the car: New inspection 1 ($700), new rear shock mounts ($70), new diff fluid ($120), new gearbox fluid ($120), shortly a set of 4 new tyres and new brake pads, petrol for both days $140, track attendance fees $200 - and this does not include the paint chips I picked up at the track day (front end repaint at least $3000 at Euro Collision).

ps. the CSL would be good for about 1.07 around Pukekohe if you push it - and in the hands of a professional driver a high 1.06s. ...

Edited by M3_Power

Thorney motorsport UK have done a lot of development on the CSL for racing, their car puts out 400HP (flywheel)..they developed a fantastic set of headers /exhaust with partners Supersprint...the headers + remap gave 25hp, they developed their own cams (Schrick cams)...they are also making double layer carbon fibre panels/bumpers etc because of the BMW prices.

www.thorneymotorsport.co.uk

Man I hope I am single when I own a CSL. Can't run a female and a CSL at the same time by the looks of things.

They don't look so appealling after that??? Ha who am i kidding i'd still own one or two.

I think it's time I update my sig...

"Dreams are for free.. and in this one I own a f**king CSL..."

damn you people, stop putting these thoughts in my head >.<

and this does not include the paint chips I picked up at the track day (front end repaint at least $3000 at Euro Collision).

That just busts my balls ay! My front bumper is riddled with pesky stone chips from the track / crap NZ open roads,

will be time for a fresh coat very soon too! Thankfully mine won't cost anywhere near $3000 though!

I am almost tempted to buy those "car bra" things for track days from the States.

That just busts my balls ay! My front bumper is riddled with pesky stone chips from the track / crap NZ open roads,

will be time for a fresh coat very soon too! Thankfully mine won't cost anywhere near $3000 though!

I am almost tempted to buy those "car bra" things for track days from the States.

They make ya car look sooo pretty!

They make ya car look sooo pretty!

Haha, doubt you will make it out much with my cars colour... but on yours, whooweee! bumble bee sexy supreme :)!

Haha, doubt you will make it out much with my cars colour... but on yours, whooweee! bumble bee sexy supreme :)!

Ha hence i wouldn't do it to it.

After re-reading my post, I've realised that I might have given the impression that these cars (E46 M3s and CSLs) are unreliable and break down often. Actually they don't. The E46 M3 and CSLs are actually quite reliable given the right attitude to ownership.

They do get expensive if things break and maintenance costs are slightly higher than your average BMWs (but not excessively) - but hey, all those thoughts go away when you are behind the wheel of one

Edited by M3_Power

You sound like the kind of owner a CSL deserves though. Cheers for the info. Even though it is not my post.