Sign in to follow this  
BLACK DORIS

Radiator or waterpump?

Hey, couple of questions... ('87 PFL SA 325i-A <_< )

1. Had the car go in for a radiator flushing and coolant redo on Tues. Total cost, parts and labour - $290. Wanted to check that this was about right? Not fussed if it's a little high, just pleased to have it done. (Not certified bmw workshop btw)

2. Car was road tested and temp was fine while driven but did increase when left to idle. I was told that the e30's are prone to heating up if left idling so just wondering if that would be considered fairly normal?

3. The guys have suggested getting the radiator rodded(sp?) as this may clear any remaining shite, also the viscous fan is worn and requires replacement. They are pricing it up at the moment. Any idea of what an average price of both may be?

4. Coolant light reappeared today, so checked water level when it had cooled and found it was slightly under the max level indicator on res. There's no sign of any hose cracks etc as they're all fairly new replacements. I have however noticed a water/coolant leak this evening coming from somewhere under the car but it's impossible to tell with the large metal plate covering the bottom of the engine. Wondering if the radiator is still the cause of the leak as I just read on-line that water pump seals can break causing leaking.

Any other thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Rio

Edited by BLACK DORIS

that seems a little on the high side, although I have never had one done myself

sounds like you might be better off (depending on $$ and your willingness for peace of mind) to get a new radiator, viscous fan clutch and coolant and do the work yourself (or one of the friendly members on here will help you for some beers i am sure)

radiator should cost around 500, not sure of the fan clutch, not more than 240 max (maybe 1/2 that?) and coolant is 50 for gen BMW stuff. not a difficult job, and you should have problem free cooling! (hopefully, those are the main areas of problem, the radiator is probably about 20 years old at least...they dont last forever)

... the radiator is probably about 20 years old at least...they dont last forever)

Lol, that's the strange thing - I'm not entirely certain but I'm sure its a replacement... at least it doesn't look 20yrs old. Will email the guy I bought car off and double check (i've owned the car for 2 1/2 weeks!). Had thought about a new one, since they've suggested getting the current one 'roded' etc and (depending on cost of the rodding), would prob work out to be around similar price when you include cost of flushing etc!

I'm keen to learn how to do the flushing etc myself but thought its prob good to have it done professionally/thoroughly this time and I can learn to do it for next time.

cheers

The overheating prob when left idling would be the viscous fan not working, if they said thats normal for E30s then they're talking sh*t. No car with a good all round cooling system should overheat when idling. If you persist on getting a "professional" to do the work you're better off taking it to BMW as they know these cars and the common faults that come with them. As Gus said, do the radiator, fan and possibly the water pump.

try a new viscous fan clutch .

also water level will settle after been drained o and refilled etc .

just top up again and see waht happens .

also replace the therostat .

cheers greg, brent.

Wasn't the workshop that had mentioned the idling temp rise being normal - was a friend and BS member! :D All gd. Yeah, an actual bmw workshop could be the go. Would be keen to help/learn some e30 diy skills from site members in the welly area...

Def need the fan replacing. Is there a site sponsor that stocks these? Or does anyone know of a good place in welly area to source part? Oh, and the water pump - anyone know the correct one off the top of their head and aprox cost? -Apologies bein a bit lazy here!! Will google and check bently later tonight. :ph34r:

Any other thoughts on the rodding suggestion? Or should I try the fan first? I don't mind having both done (as suggested by mechanic) if it means protecting engine.

Hasnt been mentioned yet?, Possibly a thermostat problem, common on E30's.

cheers greg, brent.

Wasn't the workshop that had mentioned the idling temp rise being normal - was a friend and BS member! :D All gd. Yeah, an actual bmw workshop could be the go. Would be keen to help/learn some e30 diy skills from site members in the welly area...

Def need the fan replacing. Is there a site sponsor that stocks these? Or does anyone know of a good place in welly area to source part? Oh, and the water pump - anyone know the correct one off the top of their head and aprox cost? -Apologies bein a bit lazy here!! Will google and check bently later tonight. :ph34r:

Any other thoughts on the rodding suggestion? Or should I try the fan first? I don't mind having both done (as suggested by mechanic) if it means protecting engine.

Ray at HELLBM should be able to help you out with a fan coupling, never heard the term "rodding" when it comes to radiators, find out how much it'll cost, more than likely will be round the same price as new or recond one. Unsure on the water pump?

When doing anything major on cooling systems you should be replacing the thermostat or at least testing it in an electric jug.

Edited by Greg.

Last time i priced one up was $300 for a viscous fan clutch. I buy a new one, dont know how good second hand ones are or how long they gonna last.

never heard the term "rodding" when it comes to radiators

Yeah I was wondering about that term as well. Not sure I want my radiator rodded....

hmm, maybe I got the term wrong? Was talking to mechanic on cell with poor reception. Def some process of cleaning/clearing radiator of any remaining gunk etc -apparently.

Took car in quickly this avo and he had a check and thought it's prob something with the water pump, poss seals, as there was no sign of the leak coming from radiator area and hoses seemed fine as well. Will update Mon after it's gone back in.

Will try ray for the fan, and poss water pump. Not really keen on second hand parts unless it's a temp measure to get it back to workshop! :ph34r:

Thermostat was checked at initial visit and working correctly.

"Rodding" is a term used when a radiator repairer removes both radiator side tanks and cleans out all the core tubes with special cleaning rods to unblock and clean the tubes in the core. Alluminium radiators dont like it and its not normally successful because the core tubes are usually quite thin....they usually wont pressure test and they will leak

Edited by *Glenn*

UDATE...

Ok, so last week get radiator done, this week water pump total for both -just shy of 800 bucks. I need some diy lessons!!!

Or some other poss mechanics in welly area. Ohh and I bought a few bits n pieces from jono51, good dude.

So... anyone know of some other service places in welly area or need a hand doing simple diy stuff to their cars so I can learn how to do mine!!?

cheers

Rio