Sign in to follow this  
Andre3000

Squeaky as f**k

First appeared round a month or two ago, expected it to be worn brake pad and took it to glenn's for service/brake pads. Brake pads had plenty of meat on them and i can see anything out of the ordinary on inspection, but they are aftermarket pads (thats what Glenn said). Its starting to really annoy me, help please?

change your pads. I'd put money on it being the brake pads, worn or not.

It happens more under light braking at low speeds

Andrew... as I said... to get rid of the noise...machine the rotors and fit OEM disc pads

had exactly the same problem .... previous owner had just fitted aftermarket pads and was really noisy, had the pads and rotors changed for oem (rotors done coz they were gettin abit on the old side), and it instantly fixed the noise.

Just outta curiosity, how much would this cost for an E39? I'm having the same problem with mine and it's getting realllly annoying!

Just outta curiosity, how much would this cost for an E39? I'm having the same problem with mine and it's getting realllly annoying!

Machine the rotors and fit OEM pads $250 +Gst retail for the front, if it needs new rotors approx another $260 + Gst

Could give you a better price on Monday

Glenn. how much you recon for new oem rotors and oem pads for the 30. im not sure if my rotors are aftermarket but i know my pads are.

cheers

Glenn. how much you recon for new oem rotors and oem pads for the 30. im not sure if my rotors are aftermarket but i know my pads are.

cheers

I'll price them on monday for you

OEM pads are the only way forward for the e30..everything else squeaks!

post-1524-1233945778_thumb.jpg

just bought a set of these zimmerman sport crossed drilled & slotted rotors and a set of oem pads from BM Workshop for $280 inc freight!!

post-1524-1233945778_thumb.jpg

just bought a set of these zimmerman sport crossed drilled & slotted rotors and a set of oem pads from BM Workshop for $280 inc freight!!

Jeez! That is super cheap.

yeah mate!!! dont know weather it was my sexy voice or not, but she said she had a surplus of those rotors and gave them to me at the same price as the oem replacements :D

First appeared round a month or two ago, expected it to be worn brake pad and took it to glenn's for service/brake pads. Brake pads had plenty of meat on them and i can see anything out of the ordinary on inspection, but they are aftermarket pads (thats what Glenn said). Its starting to really annoy me, help please?

FWIW My magic solution to squeaky disc brakes?

Good old fashioned copper grease, a light film on the back of the pad where it sits on the piston, quietens down even the worst in my experience. Plus makes it easier to get pads in and out.

oem rotors are the safe option but there are some good aftermarket ones around. I use znoelli slotted rotors in the race car and they have been pretty good, i'd recommend them, they are cheap too. ($60 ea from BNT).

For a standard E30 there is no need to spend any more than that on rotors. It's the pads that you have to get right, OEM is the only option IMO, unless you use an expensive aftermarket pad, and even sometimes they squeal. Ferodo Excels aren't to bad and are cheap ....

just some thoughts

My pads squeal like a virgin.

Dust like mad too.

Total confidence in braking hard repeatedly.

Hawk HP+ pads and currently Brembo slotted rotors. Yet to fit the Znoelli rotors :)

I share your embarrassment too. Ugh. Wish uncle Glenn lived up the raod.

I share your embarrassment too. Ugh. Wish uncle Glenn lived up the raod.

I do... its a long road though :P

Depends on chassis # there are 3 different options

The most common are: Rotors $170 incl....Pads $146 Incl

cheers

I can do the Zimmerman vented, slotted, drilled sports rotors for $130 each incl. OEM pads for $100incl and OEM rotors for $110 incl. These prices are for vented rotors only

I can do the Zimmerman vented, slotted, drilled sports rotors for $130 each incl. OEM pads for $100incl and OEM rotors for $110 incl. These prices are for vented rotors only

cool! will be one of the things i get onto next!

cool! will be one of the things i get onto next!

Only 2 sets of Zimmerman rotors at that price after that the price goes up to probably more than 30%

Only 2 sets of Zimmerman rotors at that price after that the price goes up to probably more than 30%

All sold

FWIW My magic solution to squeaky disc brakes?

Good old fashioned copper grease, a light film on the back of the pad where it sits on the piston, quietens down even the worst in my experience. Plus makes it easier to get pads in and out.

How is that supposed to work? I'll give it a try tomorrow and see.