Sign in to follow this  
crazyarab

Hamann vs Unique,Tidy, Stock

Just curious what you guys think.

This thread has nothing to do with an "ego" boost yada yada so don't think twice about voting either way. I am genuinely interested to hear if people would rather a unique, tidy, stock example or a professionally tuned beast.

I think this comparison is a good one and would spark some interesting discussion.

Hamann M3

Tidy Stock M3

If you had the option of one (both priced the same) which would you choose and why?

I think it's common knowledge that a modified BMW would never take precedence over a tidy stock example however when it's been modified by Hamann... surely that turns the tables?

I personally don't agree with ANY of the visual enhancements attempted by Hamann (carbon fiber overload = YUK) however can't argue with performance!

Discuss :lol:!

Edited by crazyarab

i like the airbox on the hamann, that's about it...the rest of it is tacky as hell

could be wrong but i think its not a factory Hamann some of the parts dont look genuine and just look tacky.the only hamann e36 instrument backings ive seen have had the same hamann logo as badges not hand written but maby they just vary?

Edited by 323e30

Id only be interested in a tuned one if it was genuine, and could be proven as such. If its just parts that have been thrown on you could buy the standard one, do all the work yourself and know it had been done properly.

Edited by Penry

If this is the Tidy stock M3 link then stock standard for me. All that interior carbon fibre (lookalike) paneling really really is an aquired taste- looks like crap...way too precious. Agreed that the air intake tooks ok- but it would be just for show-the pod drawing hotter engine bay air is a waste of time (performance).

I have talked with the previous owner of the Hamman one before. (not the current owner who has it for sale). It is not out of the Hamman factory, but the guy is a true BMW enthusiast (now has e46 m3, has owned m5's, etc) and he added al the Hamman stuff in a planned and fairly precise manner to create the car he wanted with the performance hew wanted.

Comparing it to cars that have "just had a few bits slapped on" is a tad unfair in this case.

Knowing this, I'd take the Hamman one. Not knowing this, I'd take the stock one.

Edited by bravo

The second link is a closed auction now :(

Fixed.

Hmm, interesting points. always assumed that was a genuine Hamann!

Edited by crazyarab

Fixed.

Hmm, interesting points. always assumed that was a genuine Hamann!

Haha, If you put it between that tacky yellow one or possibly the nicest e36 in the country, its a pretty hard decision ;)

I really don't like that hamann m3. The yellow defuser looks eww and the carbon looks cheap and tacky from the pics. The only thing that brings it redemption is that beautiful Hamann Intake manifold :wub:

I considered looking at the hamann one in TGA while I was there over xmas. The reason I didn't (exclusive of the fugly interior) is because I didn't want to be stuck trying to get a non-factory part that I most likely couldn't find.

The CC and power rating of that car are both higher than factory, the last thing I wanted to try and do was find larger rings/piston or longer conrod/differnt crankshaft if something ended up going wrong.

If I was worried about buying because of that then I'm sure someone else would when I came to sell it a couple of years later.

The price seems reasonable for the km's and condition but at that age I'd want something pretty close to how it came from the factory. Well that and I'd rather spend another couple of grand and get an evo.

Edited by scottr

I would buy the Hamann just for the intake, I think the only thing that looks outa place on the yellow one is the beige seats :ph34r:

Edited by Brams

I'd go Hamann, then go about the appearence side of things, and make it look a bit more like a tidy stock version but with the beast disguised. Agreed- Carbon fibre is yuck, keep its light weight, but paint it!

You're very critical of yellow for someone who drives a PURPLE car! :P

Guest Simon*

You're very critical of yellow for someone who drives a PURPLE car! :P

Of course! If I'm not qualified to comment who is???

And IMO opinion the best looking E36 M3 to come up lately was that Technoviolet one

Purple FTW! And rarer than Dakar it would seem too ;)

Evo Evo Evo Evo EVO and can't stress this enough .... MANUAL

and please not yellow

Evo was not the question!

They are in a different price range...

If you had to choose between 3.0, Hamann and Evo all same condition and same price...

There is no doubt in mind my what I will go for!

Of course! If I'm not qualified to comment who is???

And IMO opinion the best looking E36 M3 to come up lately was that Technoviolet one

Purple FTW! And rarer than Dakar it would seem too ;)

Yep, that one is in Chch and it's a sick piece of machinery to say the least!

Edited by crazyarab

lol. u know "I love the purple". Pams old e36 still my favourite e36.

Guest Simon*

Evo was not the question!

They are in a different price range...

If you had to choose between 3.0, Hamann and Evo all same condition and same price...

There is no doubt in mind my what I will go for!

I'm sorry but in your shoes, I would not part with your sweet 3.0 M3 for that Yellow thing - I don't even mind the beige Vaders but the rest of the interior is ass-biscuits.

It does seem a bit of a mess of bits and pieces and to be fair, apart from the fruit is it any more car than you own now Atta?

I'm sorry but in your shoes, I would not part with your sweet 3.0 M3 for that Yellow thing - I don't even mind the beige Vaders but the rest of the interior is ass-biscuits.

It does seem a bit of a mess of bits and pieces and to be fair, apart from the fruit is it any more car than you own now Atta?

Nah, I am not really considering that car (already been through that phase and I made my choice... tidy stock).

Was just curious what others thought.

As you say if I do part with my baby... Evo evo evo evooo would be niice.. hell it even may be purple ;)

Then again, my mind is all over the show, better not count those chickens until they hatch ay.

Not sure about unique but definatly a tidy, stock one over that Hamann one any day!

Try to find one like it then ;)

* That green is not your run off the mill "oxford" it's an individual with blue flakes in it (quite trippy in the sun)

* Wood grain trim including wooden "m"gear nob (not everyones cup of tea but not exactly common)

* Subtle mods here and there with those angel eyes looking at you aggressively

Ok, not like it has a wide body kit but surely I have the right to claim unique!

Edited by crazyarab

Try to find one like it then ;)

* That green is not your run off the mill "oxford" it's an individual with blue flakes in it (quite trippy in the sun)

* Wood grain trim including wooden "m"gear nob (not everyones cup of tea but not exactly common)

* Subtle mods here and there with those angel eyes looking at you aggressively

Ok, not like it has a wide body kit but surely I have the right to claim unique!

Yep, definitely. Man I love your M3! :wub:

I'm really not a fan of all that carbon fibre trim.

Yours is definatly the win visually! (though I'm not totally opposed to the yellow or the beige vaders)

Edited by deane30